Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chelsea
    3-1

Anyone fancy complaining about the foul on Kompany :P

Give it a go sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

golfball37 wrote: »
    An absolute farce that first goal is not offside ffs. What bloody rule says he’s not interfering?

It would be a farce if it was an offside. Correct call by the officials .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Chelsea
    It is amusing that Irish fans of Liverpool and ManU have a go at City about the number of fans when of course the reason they picked Liverpool and ManU in the first place was because they were the most popular teams in the class. It's all a bit circular and self fulfilling

Wrong actually, both clubs always had big links to ireland and always had a lot of Irish players, don't they call Liverpool the 2nd capital of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Chelsea
    gstack166 wrote: »
    That state has pledged 1 billion towards regeneration in Manchester
    Built the best academy in the world which gives equal opportunities to all
    Created countless jobs & the club captain is doing more then parliament to tackle Manchesters homeless crisis.

Like you give a **** about UAE human rights.

You're gas. Living proof that sportswashing is effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Man Utd
    yabadabado wrote: »

No it wasn't. Learn the offside rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    Wrong actually, both clubs always had big links to ireland and always had a lot of Irish players, don't they call Liverpool the 2nd capital of ireland

That's Cork you're thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think Cork people might have something to say about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Chelsea
    Another who moved on to win things. The boy done well considering he used to look like Walcott part 2.

Ah, Sterling was always class.

Chelsea

Why so.

Chelsea
    I think Cork people might have something to say about that.

Cork people have always something to say about everything in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    I think VAR would have assisted the refs

Read an awful lot of people complaining about it the other day ironically :D

People argue about decisions for days with screenshots etc. Var or nothing,it doesnt matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Man Utd
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    I don't give a **** about Manchester either

Why bring up Human rights issues then if you don’t give a **** about them?

Wouldn’t be bitterness surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Man Utd

Must be tough to watch games when you dont know the rules.

Liverpool

Yeah, like the average 7 year old studied the Irish influence in British cities before selecting their team...:D

It also doesn't explain why they would plump for the club with historic Loyalist connections in the city of Liverpool.

Chelsea
    I'm from cork btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Even Peter 'I stick up for my ref pals' Walton thought the decision was wrong. That's all you'd need to know.

I hate when decisions like that happen in games because it also starts tinfoil hat conspiracy theories like 'oh we'll never win the league when they get decisions like that' nonsense.

Man Utd
    Corholio wrote: »
    Even Peter 'I stick up for my ref pals' Walton thought the decision was wrong. That's all you'd need to know.

I hate when decisions like that happen in games because it also starts tinfoil hat conspiracy theories like 'oh we'll never win the league when they get decisions like that' nonsense.

Every team gets incorrect calls go their way, can still complain about incompetent refs without getting into the conspiracy theories.

I'm from cork btw

We all have our crosses to bear.
    Ah sure the Cork accent is a bit like a Scouse one - unintelligible a lot of the time.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No it wasn't. Learn the offside rule.

I know it, unfortunately I dont think you do.

• Advertisement

Man Utd

Evidently you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

In actual fact, most Irish/Catholic people in Liverpool tended to follow Everton, probably up to the 1950s or so. Liverpool were seen as a more Scottish/Protestant club in the early days - I'm a Liverpool fan BTW.

Getting back to City's first goal.... The standard of refereeing in England as I keep saying is atrocious. That was simply an incorrect decision, but English officials consistently get these decisions wrong, and it's normally in favour of attackers. It's like defensive work is being outlawed. Contact in the box, automatically a penalty. Score from a handball, goal stands (David Silva almost did it in the first half today). Offside in the middle of the box, carry on.
    Evidence in the Champions league during the week would suggest this is only going to get worse with VAR. They will soon outlaw offside altogether, completely ban tackling on attacking areas, and give penaltys of the ball makes any contact above the waist, deliberate or not.

Chelsea

Why do you think it was the correct call.

Man Utd
    niallo27 wrote: »

Because it favours his opinion.

Chelsea
    In actual fact, most Irish people in Liverpool tended to follow Everton, probably up to the 1950s or so. Liverpool were seen as a more Scottish/Protestant club in the early days - I'm a Liverpool fan BTW.

Getting back to City's first goal.... The standard of refereeing in England as I keep saying is atrocious. That was simply an incorrect decision, but English officials consistently get these decisions wrong, and it's normally in favour of attackers. It's like defensive work is being outlawed. Contact in the box, automatically a penalty. Score from a handball, goal stands (David Silva almost did it in the first half today). Offside in the middle of the box, carry on.
    Evidence in the Champions league during the week would suggest this is only going to get worse with VAR. They will soon outlaw offside altogether, completely ban tackling on attacking areas, and give penaltys of the ball makes any contact above the waist, deliberate or not.

Don't talk to me about the everton/Catholic thing, my everton supporting pal likes to remind me of this

Man Utd
    Don't talk to me about the everton/Catholic thing, my everton supporting pal likes to remind me of this

The truth hurts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

niallo27 wrote: »

For a reaction?

At least Watford put in a bit more effort today than they did at Anfield,the most work they did there was climb off the bus.

Man Utd
    At least Watford put in a bit more effort today than they did at Anfield,the most work they did there was climb off the bus.

Seems like they learnt from it, tried to play open against Liverpool and got thumped for it, rested players and changed tactics but weren't much of a threat because of it in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Chelsea
    I reckon that's YPOTY done and dusted. Still feels weird that Sterling is still a 'young player'.:confused:

VVD probably surely has it wrapped up but Sterling wouldn't be far off POTY, never mind YPOTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Man Utd
    VVD probably surely has it wrapped up but Sterling wouldn't be far off POTY, never mind YPOTY.

Has a player ever got both before?

• Advertisement

Man Utd

Bale did a few years back. Ronaldo also. Andy Gray further back again with Everton.

Off the top of my head them 3. Probably more

Man Utd

14/1. Might be a decent bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Man Utd

Bale did I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Man Utd

Everton aren’t a Catholic club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Man Utd

How could Van Dijk have it wrapped up when he hasn't even won any trophies yet?

Man Utd

Same way Salah did last year. That cult will drive him to it.

In fairness though, VVD has been POTY for me but would be a joke if for the 4th time they won the Premier league (if they do win it) that City don’t have the POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why do you need to win trophies to win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He’s made Klopp look competent at organising a defence which is being considered by the Vatican as a miracle

In the bag baby

Man Utd
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Why do you need to win trophies to win it?

You don’t. City have proved that, they’ve never had a winner.

Lumbo wrote: »

In his academic article, “Red and Blue and Orange and Green”, however, Dr David Kennedy of Glasgow’s Caledonian University, argues that while the falling out between Everton board members (1892) that led to Liverpool FC’s establishment was ostensibly over the rent for Anfield and starkly contrasting views over the use and abuse of alcohol at the time, politics played a big part too.
    Liverpool FC’s founder, John Houlding, eight of its early board members and many others associated with it were deeply involved with the Conservative Party and also, in many cases, both the Freemasons and the city’s deeply-sectarian Working Men’s Conservative Association which, in turn, had strong links to the local Orange Order.

The early Everton board, meanwhile, were active Liberals, and sold themselves to the significant Irish portion of the local electorate as being in favour of Home Rule for Ireland."

• Advertisement

Chelsea

The player of the year is an award for the most standout player up to the point the award is made. Not for the most standout player in the team that will probably win the league.

I am not a Liverpool fan btw. But it is perfectly clear VVD has been brilliant this season

Chelsea
    You don’t. City have proved that, they’ve never had a winner.

was there any season you feel they were notably hard done by?

Man Utd
    was there any season you feel they were notably hard done by?

Last season. KDB was the standout player in a record breaking team. The best player in the league & a won a cup too.

I’ve no problem with the winning team not having a winner if it’s deserved but to say Salah deserved it over KDB last season as brilliant as both were, is not right.

Anyways old news, don’t want to bring that up again. I genuinely have no problem with VVD winning it this year regardless if they finish 1st or 2nd.

Liverpool
    Lumbo wrote: »

Not now, nor should they be.

But they were the club with Irish Nationalist Catholic support while Liverpool FC was associated with Orange Order parades in the city.

Of course that stuff is noe seen as nonsense...but so too is the suggestion that Irish kids follow Liverpool because they analyse the Irish influence on clubs.

Chelsea
    I genuinely have no problem with VVD winning it this year regardless if they finish 1st or 2nd.

You clearly do have a small problem with it, at least be honest, rather than diplomatic!? ;)

"would be a joke if for the 4th time they won the Premier league (if they do win it) that City don’t have the POTY." !

Man Utd
    You clearly do have a small problem with it, at least be honest, rather than diplomatic!? ;)

"would be a joke if for the 4th time they won the Premier league (if they do win it) that City don’t have the POTY." !

It would be a joke would it not? But this year VVD deserves it Salah did not. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Man Utd
    It would be a joke would it not? But this year VVD deserves it Salah did not. Simples.

How? The best player in the league does not necessarily have to play for the best team.

Man Utd
    Benzino wrote: »
    How? The best player in the league does not necessarily have to play for the best team.

I’ve already made my point on it. I just agreed with what you just posted a message back also.

My opinion is VVD deserves it this year no matter Liverpool’s finishing position, but Salah did not deserve it over KDB.

Chelsea

Hmm. Disagree. Salah was phenomenal last season. 32 goals in the league, 45 in all competitions in his debut season and not even as a centre forward. He was unplayable 90% of the time.
    That is far from a sleight at KDB. It just shows you how much impact Salah had on fans when he was touted by the majority as the player that edged it between them.

I do agree that City players will always have the "surrounded by "superstars" " aspect hanging over them when fans/media talk about these awards though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chelsea
    I’ve already made my point on it. I just agreed with what you just posted a message back also.

My opinion is VVD deserves it this year no matter Liverpool’s finishing position, but Salah did not deserve it over KDB.

VVD would be a deserving winner this year.
    Given how outstanding he was last year, I think Salah too was deserving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement