Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Spurs
    Speak Now wrote: »
    I thought it was all about the "Thanks"

There ya go, enjoy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hard to pick between the shíteness of Fred or Sanchez since they joined united?

I'd probably go to say Sanchez is the bigger waste of money through wages paid and wages to be paid even though he didn't cost a transfer fee.

You seem to have a hard on for Fred,you haven't shut up about him all evening.
    Maybe you should go get rid of that built up tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    I seriously think there should be a dedicated thread where Man U and Liverpool posters can just tear strips out of each other so every other poster is spared having to read the juvenile bull$hit!
    Jesus Christ lads, ye are grown adults and ye post like a bunch of 12 year olds. It's embarrassing.

"Certain Man United and Liverpool fans" can tear strips off each other. The vast majority of both sets of fans are fine and can have a decent discussion. Then there are the same few who are constantly trying to wind others up or get digs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I seriously think there should be a dedicated thread where Man U and Liverpool posters can just tear strips out of each other so every other poster is spared having to read the juvenile bull$hit!
    Jesus Christ lads, ye are grown adults and ye post like a bunch of 12 year olds. It's embarrassing.

I thought the humour thread was the dedicated thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chelsea
    Mr.H wrote: »
    Yea your right. United are in a much better place than liverpool

Never even mentioned that lad ha

Chelsea
    On a different note just want say fair play to Wolves. Play some nice stuff today.

Nice team to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Crystal Palace
    You seem to have a hard on for Fred,you haven't shut up about him all evening.
    Maybe you should go get rid of that built up tension.

No tension here CC! Pool win and united whooped! Happy out tbh.

Just pointing out how shíte Fred was today seeing as another poster has been defending him blindly just cus he called himself after him. There can be no other explanation for such blind defence of such inept performance's.

Probably the poster who called himself after such a shíte player could do with relieving some tension! Must be kinda awkward and frustrating for him tbh :O

On a different note just want say fair play to Wolves. Play some nice stuff today.

Nice team to watch

So long as they don't do it next week.

Chelsea
    So long as they don't do it next week.

True. Will be tricky next week.

Was glad see Brighton win over weekend too. I hope they stay up. Gracious manager

• Advertisement

• Spurs
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    "Certain Man United and Liverpool fans" can tear strips off each other. The vast majority of both sets of fans are fine and can have a decent discussion. Then there are the same few who are constantly trying to wind others up or get digs in.

Good notion there's a WhatsApp group spunking themselves after they witnessed the Utd result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Solksjaer is the puppet of Sir Alex who sits quietly in the background pulling the strings.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Solksjaer is the puppet of Sir Alex who sits quietly in the background pulling the strings.

Conspiracy theories thread
    >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Man Utd
    Sir Alex, in turn, is in league with Big Tobacco. The idea is *information redacted* .....and then kids will start smoking again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd
    chicorytip wrote: »

The George Soros of football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    The biggest obstacle to Solksjaer being made permanent is VVD is living in his house in Cheshire. Wouldn't want those two to become too pally.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    The biggest obstacle to Solksjaer being made permanent is VVD is living in his house in Cheshire. Wouldn't want those two to become too pally.

Gimli they are both millionaires and they could easily afford new houses :pac:

Chelsea
    Gimli they are both millionaires and they could easily afford new houses :pac:
    ah I know, I just found out this morning and have been trying to work it into a post ever since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    Great result for Arsenal

Big bang back to earth for United,

Very interesting to see how the bounce back

Man Utd
    I think this weekend showed how poor the Ref's are in England,

None made the world cup and it was shown why over the weekend ,

Some very clear mistakes that

Pickford should have seen red,
    Sterling was off side,
    Alisson was fouled,

Although it didn't cause a goal Pogba grabbed Ramsey around the head no yellow card, then goes on to get one for a light trip,

Just seems ref's are constantly getting things that are obvious wrong ,

Chelsea
    I saw the Allison one which was shocking. I can see why Pickford could have got sent off but did they not change the rules so that if you foul someone for the penalty, the penalty itself is seen as enough punishment? Still it was a rugby tackle.
    The over analysis highlights these things, SKY have ref watch every week. It's no excuse and the standard does seem pretty low.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    I saw the Allison one which was shocking. I can see why Pickford could have got sent off but did they not change the rules so that if you foul someone for the penalty, the penalty itself is seen as enough punishment? Still it was a rugby tackle.
    The over analysis highlights these things, SKY have ref watch every week. It's no excuse but the standard does seem pretty low.

The new rule is "if you make an attempt to play the ball you won't be punished twice" So if you say slide for a ball and player nips it past you then you won't be sent off as the peno is enough punishment,

Pickford made no attempt for the ball , it should have been a red ,

Man Utd
    Very interesting table here showing the % change in points compared to this time last year. Arsenal and West Ham are flying it.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1104825889458667520?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Man Utd

Sterling was off side,
    Alisson was fouled,

Although it didn't cause a goal Pogba grabbed Ramsey around the head no yellow card, then goes on to get one for a light trip,

Silva tried to score with his hand deliberately,a definite yellow, got nothing

Man Utd
    Silva tried to score with his hand deliberately,a definite yellow, got nothing

Ye I noticed recently a few pulls of jersey and just a talking to surely there stil straight yellows as your trying to foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Sissoko headbutting Redmond is now only a yellow card.

Which is more than Kane got two weeks ago for his headbutt on Azpilicueta so I guess you could say the refs are improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Solskjaer will still get the job though won't he?

Be mental if he didn't. Yesterday wasn't a disaster. He hasn't really properly failed any test to date

Man Utd
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Be mental if he didn't. Yesterday wasn't a disaster. He hasn't really properly failed any test to date

he's been amazing for United
    but being made full time manger changes a lot,

Firstly expectation ,top four or the sack at the moment people happy to see United playing attacking football with smiles,

Players he brings in he will be judged on , at the moment he is free from that,

Does his relationship with certain players change, as he will have to get rid and replace some of the squad, No longer just the cool caretaker,

Teams will go back to playing 2 banks against them, at the moment because of there form under Jose teams are having a go ,

Lots of different challenges ,
    He could pass them he may not but things will change no doubt,

But he does deserve the job ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southampton

But he does deserve the job ,

Does he not already have a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    naughtb4 wrote: »

I think he should get it too, he's done amazingly well so far. Got the players playing some lovely football and the vibe is happy again.

The real test will be next season though, that's a whole other level of pressure and expectation on his shoulders. It's not difficult coming into a situation where the expectations were so low after Mourinho derailed their season, I liken it to Dalglish taking over Hodgson at Liverpool.

Going for Poch is probably still the safer option for them but Ole has put himself into an undeniable position. Tried and trusted like Mourinho hasn't worked for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sterling was off side,
    Alisson was fouled,

This....
    Add to the catalog below, the daft penalty given against United for minimal contact.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    This....
    Add to the catalog below, the daft penalty given against United for minimal contact.

I was going to add the United one as in my opinion it should NOT have been a peno but I think from the ref's view it looked like Fred stuck his leg so one a ref could get wrong ,

The other ones where so clear there was no excuse,

Man Utd
    Does he not already have a job?

No , he is still care taker,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chelsea
    Very interesting table here showing the % change in points compared to this time last year. Arsenal and West Ham are flying it.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1104825889458667520?s=19

It's interesting to see how improved Arsenal are but despite such an improvement, are only now on the same points Liverpool were last year. While liverpool have still managed to improve by more actual points than any one else.

Chelsea
    Zidane back to Madrid by the looks of it today that leaves the door open for Man U to be the only ones looking for Poch.

After his comments at the weekend that maybe this is as far as he can take Spurs he may now be stuck there if Ole gets the Man U job full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Man Utd
    We're consistent if nothing else 0.0%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Zidane back to Madrid by the looks of it today that leaves the door open for Man U to be the only ones looking for Poch.

After his comments at the weekend that maybe this is as far as he can take Spurs he may now be stuck there if Ole gets the Man U job full time.
    United should go for Pochetino IMHO.
    He's a more experienced coach has a good record, and more importantly, it will fvck over Spurs royally, making them weaker. It will leave them with one less rival for the top 4 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd
    He's a more experienced coach has a good record, and more importantly, it will fvck over Spurs royally, making them weaker. It will leave them with one less rival for the top 4 next season.

Problem for Ed W with this is, what if it doesn't work out. The world and his wife will then be on his back demanding to know why he got rid of Saint Ole when he was doing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I like the romantics of Ole getting the job but if I was a United supporter I'd still want Poch for exactly those reasons. I think he's the outstanding candidate, he's performed miracles with that Spurs squad given the relative finances to what he's up against, all credit to Ole for the job he's done but it'd be Poch for me. Maybe Ole goes to Spurs :D

Chelsea

Oh I agree.

However some of the stories out there at the moment say Ole will be given the job full time and it will be announced during the International break which will be great for fans of every other club especially Spurs.

Woodward has made so many mistakes over managers he now has one in that seems to be working and everyone is happy for now. You can just see Woodward patting himself on the back and giving Ole a long term deal without thinking long term.

• Advertisement

Man Utd

Oh I agree.

However some of the stories out there at the moment say Ole will be given the job full time and it will be announced during the International break which will be great for fans of every other club especially Spurs.

Woodward has made so many mistakes over managers he now has one in that seems to be working and everyone is happy for now. You can just see Woodward patting himself on the back and giving Ole a long term deal without thinking long term.

United would be silly to give Ole the job just yet ,
    Surely hold fire in single figures for Prem games to go , the Champions leauge and fa cup later stages
    If Ole keeps going great give him job end of season but what if they give him the job now and it goes tits up they finsih 6th and go out of the other two, fans will question the board

They have literally no reason to rush it , Ole will gladly sign at the end of the season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    First year in a long time that there is a proper tace for the title and top 4.its great and a lot of the top 6 doing well in europe. Really is the beginning of a golden age for english football imo.
    Exceptionally hard to call the top 4. Spurs looked to have 3rd place sealed but have tough tests against pool and city.
    Personally i think chelsea Should focus on the europa league as i think they are unlikely to get top 4.
    Exciting end of the season ahead though!

Man Utd
    Has a club ever won the champions League and not qualified for it via top? Was it Chelsea that won and finished 7th?

Curious if United win it will it be a first if they failed to get top 4

Chelsea
    Has a club ever won the champions League and not qualified for it via top? Was it Chelsea that won and finished 7th?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southampton

Liverpool

Man Utd
    I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that question.

No I didn't.

Apologies thought Liverpool finished 4th in 2005.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    No I didn't.

Fair enough you thought Liverpool finished ahead of your own team there is nothing strange about that happening ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Man Utd

I think the momentum behind Ole and his wheel is too great now for him not to get the job.

Although I guess that could change yet in the remaining games.

Man Utd
    Man City to apologise and set up fund for victims of paedophile ex junior coach John Broome.
    Manchester City are launching a “survivors’ scheme” for the victims of Barry Bennell that will lead to the Premier League champions offering compensation packages, adding up to several million pounds, and ultimately an apology to the players who were sexually abused during their time in the club’s junior set-up

Full story here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/11/manchester-city-apology-barry-bennell-victims-fund?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Chelsea
    Utd have been in the doldrums comparatively speaking since Ferguson retired. Moyes, VG and Mourinho all failed despite coming in with solid reputations. They each managed to totally alienate the fan-base through their approach.
    While there was some success under Mourinho this exploded spectacularly this year. I just couldn't see them not giving Ole the opportunity. The club has been totally revitalised since his appointment. Why would they want to roll the dice again and fix something that, for the moment at least, is not broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

No I didn't.

Yet you support Everton? Who actually finished 4th in 2005, qualifying for Champions League for first and only time? You'd think you'd remember things like that!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement