Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd
    ERG89 wrote: »
    I missed out on a lot of Mark Hughes folding his arms and muttering to himself about the officials.

Just checked the reports (as if I needed to), yes he was criticising Duffy and the ref over the penalty.:rolleyes: How about telling Ward Prowse not to shove people in the box as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    I heard on the radio this morning this is the first time in 6 years that both Liverpool and Man U have played 3pm games on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Man Utd
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    Berserker wrote: »
    I can see a howler of two in your goalie before the season ends. You just need to hope that it doesn't cost you points.

Some belters scheduled for Monday nights. Bournemouth v Palace, Burnley v Newcastle and Huddersfield v Fulham are some of the games being televised before we hit December.

ah yeah I said it before the one against Leicester, he'll do it again no doubt, it's just we don't have an alternative.  TBH I wasn't really impressed with him when we played Roma but from what I've seen so far he's a significant improvement on Karius or Mingolet.
    that's a shocking Monday line up it has to be said.

I think two of those games look very good on paper. Bournemouth and Palace tend to be involved in some very exciting games. Are people just not interested in any games anymore if they don't involve the top 6 teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    I think two of those games look very good on paper. Bournemouth and Palace tend to be involved in some very exciting games. Are people just not interested in any games anymore if they don't involve the top 6 teams?

for me unless it's my team or someone I really want to see lose, I've little interest. End of season relegation battles are great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    This weekends fixtures and fittings.

Saturday
    12:30 Fulham Watford DRAW
    15:00 Burnley AFC Bournemouth AWAY
    15:00 C Palace Newcastle HOME
    15:00 Cardiff Man City AWAY
    15:00 Leicester Huddersfield HOME
    15:00 Liverpool Southampton HOME
    15:00 Man Utd Wolves HOME
    17:30 Brighton Spurs DRAW

Sunday
    13:30 West Ham Chelsea AWAY
    16:00 Arsenal Everton HOME

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Watford could end up losing this even after Fulham produced their worst half of football since winning promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Southampton
    Deeney is an absolute unit of a footballer

Man Utd
    Fulham ending this game well. Two great chances.

FT 1-1

Chelsea
    Stealing a living is thrown around so much in football.

The only person stealing a living from football is Jamie Redknapp.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Glad I moved Maguire on from my FF team, Huddersfield up early away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    Wan Bisakka hit with what looked like a glass bottle thrown from the crowd in their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Man Utd
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Wan Bisakka hit with what looked like a glass bottle thrown from the crowd in their game.

Newcy Broon Ale?

Man Utd
    Newcy Broon Ale?

No was in a green bottle :pac:

Man Utd
    Piece of idiocy by Murray there. Never going to get away with handling in that situation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Liverpool
    Thought it was harsh at first but it was definite hand to ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Never a free kick but what was Murray thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    Never a free kick but what was Murray thinking?
    It was soft, but it probably was a free kick. Proper brainfart from Murray though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    Bournemouth are a flaky team arent they. Palying well one week and ****e the next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Wolves look very good. Comfortably top 10 I wouldnt be surprised to see them finish 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    Hard to see Cardiff and Huddersfield staying up based on what I've seen so far. They look like Championship teams. Newcastle do too, but I wouldn't write them off because of the Rafa factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Man Utd
    Everton should be 1 up (although was probably offside).

Sparse crowd at the match too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    Arsenal looking very ropey at the back. Everton need to cash in while they're on top though, as the Gunners will surely have some decent opportunities as the game progresses.

Man Utd
    For one of the highest scoring ties in the Prem this is really lacking intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Man Utd
    Aubameyang a mile offside for Arsenal's second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Aubameyang a mile offside for Arsenal's second.

How did the linesman miss that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    How did the linesman miss that.

Probably the same way he missed the very obvious handball in the box about ten minutes earlier. The officiating today has been woeful overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ref can't spot this:

Dnys5KrXkAAS77e.jpg

Meanwhile VAR in Italy helped make the correct call here.

Dnys5I2XoAAp0m5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The photographs shows why too. The assistant ref for the Arsenal game is completely out of line when the ball is played. At least the Italian one is bang on with his positioning to give him the best chance to make the assessment accurately. VAR certainly helps too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Man Utd
    Turtwig wrote: »
    The photographs shows why too. The assistant ref for the Arsenal game is completely out of line when the ball is played. At least the Italian one is bang on with his positioning to give him the best chance to make the assessment accurately. VAR certainly helps too. :)

He's bang on in line with Auba, should easily make that call.. its where he ideally should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Man Utd
    That's the third Everton game I've seen this season and they still look like they're a hugely unbalanced side. They play some nice football up until the final third where everything falls apart and there's no bite or fight from them in midfield or defence. They look like the kind of side that other teams would love to play against - just a really soft centre.

astradave wrote: »
    He's bang on in line with Auba, should easily make that call.. its where he ideally should be

As far as I'm aware he has to be in line with the second to last defender. If he's not parallax errors are more likely to occur. He probably thought Auba was onside because he was level with them. My understanding was the AR would know a player is offside simply by the player being beyond the line of the AR with the second to last defender. If the AR is not in line with that defender then it's really difficult to get any call correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Southampton
    Arsenal crisis over.

Everton crisis level: Big Sam

Man Utd
    Have Evertons performances actually improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Have Evertons performances actually improved?

There recruitment policy is scatter gun at best and the manager looks like Martinez v2. A guy they risked a points deduction to tap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:
    There recruitment policy is scatter gun at best and the manager looks like Martinez v2. A guy they risked a points deduction to tap up.

They should have gotten at least a goal before Lacazette opened the scoring today.
    They have spent a nice bit on the likes of Mina, Tosun, Richarlison, Sigurdsson, Pickford & Keane.
    Awful defensively which doesn't help working under Silva, still seem to lack a regular goalscorer & I don't really see what the aim is as they are still miles off breaking into the top 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Man Utd
    Everton's season preparation was a bit all over the place. Signing the likes of Gomes on the last day of the transfer window was odd - especially as he hasn't been fit to play yet - and the squad is lacking in so many areas.

Last season, they had a heap of number 10s and no wingers. Adding Walcott, Bernard, Richarlison and using Lookman and Calvert-Lewin now means they're totally overstocked in wingers now too. They're short on decent strikers too - was it Calvert-Lewin up top yesterday? I only the team sheet on Twitter so not sure how it played out.

Add to those some passengers - Schneiderlin; he is simply awful - and some players who are past it - Baines, Jagielka; as well as some inconsistent players and its not surprise they're hard to get a read on.

I think in Pickford, Coleman, Gueye, Sigurdsson and Richarlison, they've got the basis of a good side. But Silva is very naive when it comes to organising a defence - I think I read that it's now 18 games at Watford and Everton without a clean sheet - so they're going to find it hard to push on.

Man Utd
    They're short on decent strikers too - was it Calvert-Lewin up top yesterday?

Yeah he was leading the line, or trying to. When it comes to strikers, they've put all their eggs in the Tosun basket, which is kind of what a club of Everton's status has to do. Not much point spending £50 million on three or fours Shane Longs, might as well play Walcott or whoever up front as do that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    I've watched a few Everton games this season and they transition well into attack but they are blunt in the final 3rd. Richarlson looks good but its not enough.

Defensively though they are all over the place and they are pushed up far too high. Mediocre full backs are been left badly exposed.

Its more exciting than Big Sam sure, but remains to be seen will the end result yield more points on the table.

Man Utd
    Good article from the BBC comparing the first 6 games this season to last.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45619199

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Reports out there tonight that Roman is going to put Chelsea up for sale.

Man Utd
    The graun has a front page article about how the Swiss (a country that knows hot money when it sees it) issued a report on his finances questioning his moral standing coming after he requested citizenship

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/25/roman-abramovich-posed-threat-to-public-security-swiss-police-said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Man Utd
    I don't want to stir **** in the Utd thread but I am curious to know what they're going to do next.

It kinda doesn't matter what Jose does at this juncture. I think it's safe to say he's not winning the league this season. Even if he stayed on and won it next year, he's not there long term.

As a Liverpool fan, the best way to think about it is what would worry me the most. To be honest, it's not Zidane. I think the stars aligned a bit at Real where they had a team of champions and match winners. Rebuilding confidence and a squad is a very different job.

A guy who's happy to leave after a CL win wouldn't seem like someone to build a dynasty. If he was the sort that Utd need, I think he would've wanted to oversee Madrid's transition away from the Ramos/Modric/Ronaldo spine. Even if he rocked up, and even if he was a success, for a given value of the word, I'm not sure it fixes Utd's problem which seems to be systemic at this point.

Pochettino is the obvious choice, I suppose. Young, has a defined way of playing, assembles a squad of honest, hard working players first and foremost, and is happy to work within financial constraints up to a point. If there's no investment coming into Spurs in the next few years and he has ambition, he won't want to stick around.

They might even be able to snag a few of the Spurs lads, most of whom would represent an upgrade for Utd.

Chelsea
    As someone who wants Man U to fail and trying to look at it without no bias which is very hard I think Woodward is a major issue for that club.

His relationshipships with Moyes, LVG and now Jose isn’t there. There doesn’t seem to be trust between the board and the managers.

And long may it continue I say.

Man Utd
    Woodward is an idiot who knows the price of everything and nothing about football, so he'll just bring in the most 'obvious' candidate that will accept 10 million a year to turn around a listing oil tanker of a club. Zidane is so obvious it would be shock if it wasn't him - but he may have a big offer from PSG when they underachieve in the CL again.

If Rafa were to leave Newcastle - and you gotta expect he'll do so eventually - he would definitely help bring stability to United. Might not have a 'style' suited United but to heck with that what the club needs now more than ever is a defined structure. Rafa to stabilise things while the club get their act together, identify a philosophy, get a director of football and start targetting players and coaches who could be moulded into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    I don't think stability is the issue. This is a team that finished ahead of every team bar City back in May. The main problems as I see it are:

1) A manager with the personality and demeanour of Victor Meldrew.

2) A playing style and ethos that hands the initiative to opposition teams and weakens the fortress that Old Trafford used to be. Teams have had no fear since Fergie's era.

3) An awful scouting system that leads to the club buying sh*te.

4) Incompetent club officials, e.g. giving a new contract to the coach and then a few months later deciding they don't trust his judgement on signings, thus dropping the club into limbo.

The problems of 1) and 2) will only be solved by sacking Jose and bringing in a positive coach with a track record of attacking football. The problems of 3) and 4) can be solved by taking the football issues out of Woodward's hands and leaving him to do what he does best - schmoozing millionaires - and hire a Director of Football to act as a conduit between the management and club hierarchy.

I expect this painful split to happen inevitably before the end of the season, perhaps after Champions League elimination, but not before a load of theatrical bullsh*t involving pointing at club crests, maybe some scarf waving to the masses, some emotional interviews with Geoff Shreeves, and, knowing United, probably a week after Zidane has announced he is the new manager of PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chelsea
    Turtwig wrote: »
    If Rafa were to leave Newcastle - and you gotta expect he'll do so eventually - he would definitely help bring stability to United. Might not have a 'style' suited United but to heck with that what the club needs now more than ever is a defined structure. Rafa to stabilise things while the club get their act together, identify a philosophy, get a director of football and start targetting players and coaches who could be moulded into it.

No no no no. No no. No no. I love that man too much. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Man Utd
    If our striker didn't miss sitters in almost every game he's played this season, the complexion of the season so far and the conversations around United would be a lot different I think.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    If our striker didn't miss sitters in almost every game he's played this season, the complexion of the season so far and the conversations around United would be a lot different I think.

There's really very little in it, likewise if Sanchez had contributed anything Utd would not be in this situation. On the player side I think he's you're biggest problem, when he should be dragging you through this. Losing to Derby in the LC 3rd round isn't a major thing but it's magnifying issues at the club, which is further stirred up in the media and online.

I really dislike Jose, he's an odious character, imo. It's shocking to admit but Utd deserve better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement