Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    A lot of talk from fans of Liverpool and Spurs being bottlers this season,
    I believe the word "bottlers " is used totally out of context

So a serious question seen as United where in 4th on Sunday with a chance to go 4 points clear of 5th if they won , Will it be seen as them being bottlers if they do not now finish in the top 4 ?

Personally i think the word is so over used now and none of the above have bottled anything yet this season ,
    I don't get why people all of a sudden use it for every time someone loses a game or don't achieve they are aiming for,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Personally i think the word is so over used now and none of the above have bottled anything yet this season , I don't get why people all of a sudden use it for every time someone loses a game or don't achieve they are aiming for,

Lets be honest it is used by opposition fans to slag a team they dont want to win.

Last season people say liverpool bottled the champions league but it was amazing they actually got to the final given the lack of spend that season and selling coutinho. Again this season people slag liverpool yet this is their best ever season. Hardly bottling.

Similar things have been said about arsenal united chelsea in the past. Its just people taking the proverbial melted yellow snow.

Man Utd
    Mr.H wrote: »
    Lets be honest it is used by opposition fans to slag a team they dont want to win.

Last season people say liverpool bottled the champions league but it was amazing they actually got to the final given the lack of spend that season and selling coutinho. Again this season people slag liverpool yet this is their best ever season. Hardly bottling.

Similar things have been said about arsenal united chelsea in the past. Its just people taking the proverbial melted yellow snow.

That's the stuff I'm talking about,

How can you bottle a final you've no one expected you to reach

Also like United have done amazing to be in top 4 chance but some will say they bottled it if they finish 5th or 6th , its madness ,

Spurs haven't spent any money , haven't had a home game in 2 years and if they finish 3rd there seen as bottler's

The word needs to go away ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Has a club ever won the champions League and not qualified for it via top? Was it Chelsea that won and finished 7th?

Curious if United win it will it be a first if they failed to get top 4

Real Madrid did it in 1999-2000, finished fifth but won the Champions League, set the precedent that the FA 'bottled' the year Liverpool won it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Has a club ever won the champions League and not qualified for it via top? Was it Chelsea that won and finished 7th?

Curious if United win it will it be a first if they failed to get top 4

Nottingham Forest won the European Cup without winning the league to qualify winning it back to back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Chelsea

Last season people say liverpool bottled the champions league

No they didn't. I don't recall anyone saying that.

They lost that game fair and square and having their best player injured early didn't help.
    Sure the keeper didn't cover himself in glory but it is very difficult to say the better team lost..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

They lost that game fair and square and having their best player injured early didn't help. Sure the keeper didn't cover himself in glory but it is very difficult to say the better team lost..

When did i say they where the better team? I am just highlighting that they went beyond expectations by even being there.
    No they didn't. I don't recall anyone saying that.

Your kidding right? Every non liverpool fan couldnt wait to say the word bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Man Utd
    Yet you support Everton? Who actually finished 4th in 2005, qualifying for Champions League for first and only time? You'd think you'd remember things like that!

I'm well aware that Everton qualified for a Champions League around that era.

Yet I forgot the year. Madness. How dare I forget finishing 4th 14 years ago.

Man Utd
    I'm well aware that Everton qualified for a Champions League around that era.

Yet I forgot the year. Madness. How dare I forget finishing 4th 14 years ago.

Everton never qualified ,
    They got beat in the 3rd champions league qualifier round,

So as the title of the game suggest they did not Qualify

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It’s like reading a bunch of teenage girls having a go at each other on here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Chelsea
    When did i say they where the better team? I am just highlighting that they went beyond expectations by even being there.

Your kidding right? Every non liverpool fan couldnt wait to say the word bottle

I honestly don't recall anyone not acknowledging Liverpool went beyond expectations and I don't recall anyone saying they bottled it. No.

Speak up those who did believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Man Utd
    A lot of talk from fans of Liverpool and Spurs being bottlers this season,
    I believe the word "bottlers " is used totally out of context

So a serious question seen as United where in 4th on Sunday with a chance to go 4 points clear of 5th if they won , Will it be seen as them being bottlers if they do not now finish in the top 4 ?

Personally i think the word is so over used now and none of the above have bottled anything yet this season ,
    I don't get why people all of a sudden use it for every time someone loses a game or don't achieve they are aiming for,
    The only bottlers are Spurs who finished 3rd in a 2 horse race, the year Leicester won it.

Man Utd
    Quazzie wrote: »
    The only bottlers are Spurs who finished 3rd in a 2 horse race, the year Leicester won it.

But they where never ahead of Leicester ? how did they bottle it ?
    Once they knew they couldn't win it thee isn't much of a difference between 2nd and 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd
    It’s like reading a bunch of teenage girls having a go at each other on here

Boardsie Girls: could be the makings of a hit sitcom there...

Liverpool
    I propose we move away from the talk of bottling and not bottling and agree a formula of words we all can use if Liverpool do not win the title.

I propose "sxxt the course" or "blew it" but other suggestions are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    I propose we move away from the talk of bottling and not bottling and agree a formula of words we all can use if Liverpool do not win the title.

I propose "sxxt the course" or "blew it" but other suggestions are welcome.

Or how about we just say that they'd a great season and City were slightly better?

Or if United just fall short of Top 4 why don't we say they had a great few months but just left themselves a little to much to do.

Or if Spurs drop to 5th why don't we say that the lack of transfers and playing in Wembley hurt them this season but they had some great results in the CL.

etc etc.

• Spurs
    Ya may as well add the words bottle, snowflake, wind and favorites to the "I'm offended" list like everything else on the soccer forum at this stage.

Man Utd
    Ya may as well add the words bottle, snowflake, wind and favorites to the "I'm offended" list like everything else on the soccer forum at this stage.

It's nothing to do with people being offended by it.

It increases absolute sh1te talking posts with have no reason than to wind up the opposition fans and it's toxic reading.

• Spurs
    It's nothing to do with people being offended by it.

It increases absolute sh1te talking posts with have no reason than to wind up the opposition fans and it's toxic reading.

So it's not causing offence but it's winding certain posters up then? One could say they are the same. Offended, upset, annoyed?

Maybe just maybe some should take a deep breath and not get so worked up over sweet **** all perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    So it's not causing offence but it's winding certain posters up then? One could say they are the same.

Maybe just maybe some should take a deep breath and not get so worked up over sweet **** all perhaps?

Hit the nail on the head. If it doesnt make for great reading,dont read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Man Utd
    Hit the nail on the head. If it doesnt make for great reading,dont read it

Unread it, you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    So it's not causing offence but it's winding certain posters up then? One could say they are the same. Offended, upset, annoyed?

It's just childish and adds nothing to the conversation.

• Spurs
    rob316 wrote: »
    It's just childish and adds nothing to the conversation.

So it should not be used on the soccer forum? As it's upsetting someone, being childish, offending whatever way you want to dress it up? Again. Add it to list at this stage with everything else.

Either that or stop getting so wound up over sweet **** all.

Chelsea
    So it should not be used on the soccer forum? As it's upsetting someone, being childish, offending whatever way you want to dress it up? Again. Add it to list at this stage with everything else.

Either that or stop getting so wound up over sweet **** all.

It's just ****ing childish, that's a different meaning and word to offensive.

Going off your posting style I can see why it appeals to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    Whats this thread about again?

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Whats this thread about again?

United the bottlers, Spurs the bottlers, Liverpool the bottlers.

Bottlers here there, everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    United the bottlers, Spurs the bottlers, Liverpool the bottlers.

Bottlers here there, everywhere

So you yourself want to stay childish tantruming.

Rightio.

• Spurs
    It's just ****ing childish, that's a different meaning and word to offensive.

Going off your posting style I can see why it appeals to you.

So, it boils down to another "pop at the poster"?

Can you tell me where I said it appeals to me please. Back up your accusations.

I said it's either not allowed because it's offending people or you simply grow a pair and stop getting so worked up over nothing.

Man Utd

Can you tell me where I said it appeals to me please. Back up your accusations.

It appeals to you because you're one of the posters that goes out of their way wind up opposition fans which makes it toxic reading for the ones who don't.

Back up accusations? Read your own posting history

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Enough with the back and forth. If you have an issue with something that is posted, report it and move on.

Back on topic please.

• Advertisement

• Spurs
    It appeals to you because you're one of the posters that goes out of their way wind up opposition fans which makes it toxic reading for the ones who don't.

Back up accusations? Read your own posting history

Have you reported the posts you say are applicable? Again back up your accusations.

There is a clear point I made but you like rob are using it as an excuse to attack a poster.

I've not commented on your posting style or history.

*Edit* just spotted the warning. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Chelsea
    Anyone know what the music is that Match of the Day are using during goal highlights/round ups? Its the same tune used in the current Vodafone rugby ads, cant seem to find the name of it anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Man Utd
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know what the music is that Match of the Day are using during goal highlights/round ups? Its the same tune used in the current Vodafone rugby ads, cant seem to find the name of it anywhere

They use different ones all the time.. Google BBC music profile on spotify if you have it and look for the match of the day playlists and you will more than likely find the song your looking for there

You could also Shazam it the next time it comes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Chelsea
    Thanks astradave. Tried Shazam but it won't work when there is a voice over the tune. Yeah I saw the Match of the Day Spotify playlist but there is 70 tracks on it, just thought someone might know it to save me looking for a needle in a haystack

edit-found it, the track is Island by Fuse ODG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Man Utd
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47574083

Andy Carroll ruled out for the rest of the season - BBC reporting that West Ham aren't going to offer him a new deal so it means he's played his last game there.

It just didn't work out for him at all. 4th time in 6 seasons that he failed to even make 20 appearances. (5 in 6 seasons if you only count league games...) 1 goal in 14 games this season in all comps.

Hard to know where to from here!

• Spurs
    What an injury riddled career

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Andy Carroll ruled out for the rest of the season - BBC reporting that West Ham aren't going to offer him a new deal so it means he's played his last game there.

How long was Jack Wilshire's contract again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd
    Have to feel sorry for him a bit there too.

He really seems like he tried to turn his career around, off the pitch especially, in the last few years but injuries just kept keeping him back.

Wonder would he go back to Newcastle? No transfer fee required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    Carroll will struggle to find a PL side willing to take him on surely?

Might be worth a punt for a newly promoted side but if hes only going to play 1/3 of the games a season, he wont be worth it.

Man Utd
    Hard to believe he has been at West ham for 7 season's where does the time go ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd
    not PL, but Scholes has left his job as Oldham manager after a handful of weeks.

Back to the studio with him you would have to assume. Fair play for giving it a try after being very outspoken on certain managers over the last few seasons but it seems like he just might not be cut out for it.

Man Utd
    FitzShane wrote: »
    not PL, but Scholes has left his job as Oldham manager after a handful of weeks.

Back to the studio with him you would have to assume. Fair play for giving it a try after being very outspoken on certain managers over the last few seasons but it seems like he just might not be cut out for it.

I'm not a huge fan of Scholes but it must be hard for lads who played for a top club there whole life and only know the very very highest level to go to a place like Oldham and succeed.

Even Pep the manager extraordinary would suffer and couldn't have them playing the way he wants football to be played ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Man Utd
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Carroll will struggle to find a PL side willing to take him on surely?

Might be worth a punt for a newly promoted side but if hes only going to play 1/3 of the games a season, he wont be worth it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs offering him a "pay as you play" contract - low base salary but high bonuses for playing time and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    I'm not a huge fan of Scholes but it must be hard for lads who played for a top club there whole life and only know the very very highest level to go to a place like Oldham and succeed.

Even Pep the manager extraordinary would suffer and couldn't have them playing the way he wants football to be played ,
    https://twitter.com/btsportscore/status/1106246655328878593

Interference from the boardroom, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chelsea
    Paul Merson reveals he is struggling with gambling addiction again.

Doesn’t he give tips on a weekly basis live on Sky Sports FFS?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Man Utd
    Paully D wrote: »
    Paul Merson reveals he is struggling with gambling addiction again.

Doesn’t he give tips on a weekly basis live on Sky Sports FFS?!

And horrendous ones at that. No surprise at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

And horrendous ones at that. No surprise at all.

All his tips are based on each teams last match, dreadful stuff really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    Could be trouble ahead for Pep and co.

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1106336065198145540

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Chelsea
    blueser wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/btsportscore/status/1106246655328878593

Interference from the boardroom, maybe.

Resigned via WhatsApp. Such a cowardly act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ricero wrote: »
    Resigned via WhatsApp. Such a cowardly act.

Whatever you think of Scholes,one thing is that he's far from cowardly. The chairman of that club interferes too much and Scholes has his principles and stood by by them,no point in staying in a job that's not working out.
    But your bias and hatred just compels you to make dick remarks to get thanks from the gang.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement