Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Chelsea
    The Mulk wrote: »
    40 years young, ;)
    I just rather watching Liverpool v Bayern or Man utd v PSG over Liverpool v Northampton Town.
    Never bought into the whole 'Romance of the Cup' narrative that the BBC tries to pedal

That may have something to do with the team you support. If you are a supporter of a team outside the top six, an FA cup win can turn a nothing season into something incredible. FA Cup wins are nothing new to the likes of Liverpool or Man United.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Chelsea
    I'd be of the thinking that you need to look at the FA Cup as it is now. if you're a top 6 team I'd liken it to more or less to the League Cup now in that if you can manage to get to the business end of it you're looking at a nice day out. Other than that it doesn't mean a whole lot anymore to teams trying to compete on all fronts.

The Europa League is similar in that it only matters once you get to the business end of it, but the difference lies in the carrot dangled at the end of both. No one can say honestly that winning an FA Cup final is better than winning an EL final for a top 6 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Berserker wrote: »
    That may have something to do with the team you support. If you are a supporter of a team outside the top six, an FA cup win can turn a nothing season into something incredible. FA Cup wins are nothing new to the likes of Liverpool or Man United.

This is it.

We are all glory hunters to some extend on this side of the Irish sea.

Would be a different story completely if we were in England supporting a local club.

Liverpool
    noodler wrote: »
    This is it.

Would be a different story completely if we were in England supporting a local club.

Absolutely.

"People who picked ManU and Liverpool to follow when they were 6 because they were big in 'don't understand the appeal of Northampton Town v Coventry' shocker".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Man Utd
    Explain to me how supporting Fulham makes me a glory hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Pter wrote: »

49f281b1-ea84-466f-b91a-701cab39ae73.jpg

Ya big glory hunting fecker ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southampton
    For a competition the top six dont care about, it's only been won by 2 teams not part of that top 6 since Everton in 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southampton
    I picked liverpool because my German liverpool supporting cousin gave me a Jersey in the mid 80s when I was over there.

Also, for the glory.

Man Utd
    Ya big glory hunting fecker ya

A championship play-off? Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

A championship play-off? Great.

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    Babel hattrick coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ugh.

OK, for the vast, vast majority of English club supportijg Irish fans.

Happy now? Mr Pedant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Babel hattrick coming up.

Only problem is that Fulham look like they could concede 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chelsea
    Stick a tenner on Fulham. 90/1. Money for jam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    Excellent start! No slacking off now, we've lost three games from winning positions this season. 9 bloody points gone West.
    :mad:

Man Utd
    noodler wrote:
    Happy now? Mr Pedant.

By definition, no.

noodler wrote: »
    This is it.

Hardly a thing unique to Ireland. I'm sure many in England will ignore their local club in order to support a bigger one further away that has a realistic chance of winning things. Others will support 2 clubs in order to cope with the 'support the local club regardless' versus 'I want to see trophies' argument. Its basic human nature to want happiness, hence people wanting to be associated with success.

• Spurs
    City back to the top

Pressure on Klopps Liverpool tomorrow to get a result

GD +8 for City

Man Utd
    City back to the top

Pressure on Klopps Liverpool tomorrow to get a result

GD +8 for City
    Job done. Second half a non event, to be honest. We coasted through it in, what, second gear?
    Not so much of a surprise, given our manic schedule in April. Ah well; over to you Poch. Get your lads revved up for tomorrow, there's a good fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Now the real pressure starts on OSG can he build on the momentum of being a caretaker now he has the job permanently.

Watford is a handy team to start off his new era at Man U though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

City have Cardiff midweek so will likely be ahead again then anyway, don't think anyone who isn't a total moron expected any other result today. The only surprise was that it wasn't by more, guess that gives MOTD something to praise Scott Parker about later.
    In other inevitable news Huddersfield can get relegated today if results don't go their way.

Chelsea
    blueser wrote: »
    Job done. Second half a non event, to be honest. We coasted through it in, what, second gear?
    Not so much of a surprise, given our manic schedule in April. Ah well; over to you Poch. Get your lads revved up for tomorrow, there's a good fella.

Never seen a more redundant second half in my life. Fair play to ye; City made Fulham look exactly as they are while we huffed and puffed against them.

I expect City to win every game comfortably in the league from here given the form they are in. All their remaining fixtures are against absolute canon fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    Watford outplaying United in these early stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    Never seen a more redundant second half in my life. Fair play to ye; City made Fulham look exactly as they are while we huffed and puffed against them.

I expect City to win every game comfortably in the league from here given the form they are in. All their remaining fixtures are against absolute canon fodder.

United and Spurs are hardly cannon fodder :confused:

Chelsea
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    United and Spurs are hardly cannon fodder :confused:

I don't think they're going to trouble City at all given the form they're in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Chelsea
    Lmao at Martial dive.

Chelsea
    1-0 United. Against the run of play but we'll take it. Cool finish from Rashford.

Man Utd

Palace away, utd away and Spurs at home in our remaining games. Not sure I'd call them cannon fodder, to be honest with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Man Utd
    United winning games without playing well. Bodes well for them. Fair play to OGS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Looks like Huddersfield are mathematically down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Burnley and Saints winning means they are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd

Yes confirmed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    United where woeful again todat ,
    Ole has to be the luckiest manger in such a short time span , They where really awful today

Chelsea
    blueser wrote: »
    Palace away, utd away and Spurs at home in our remaining games. Not sure I'd call them cannon fodder, to be honest with you.

Are you worried about any of those games? Honestly? Given the form yous are in. Only way they get something off you is if you underperform. Given the insane levels City are playing at right now I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    Im a liverpool fan and City will win it by a minimum of 5 points

Man Utd
    Are you worried about any of those games? Honestly? Given the form yous are in. Only way they get something off you is if you underperform. Given the insane levels City are playing at right now I can't see that happening.
    The game at OT, if not "worries", concerns me. They'll want to give us a bloody nose. Mind you, they won't be too keen to give Liverpool any help either! As for the others, you never know what Spurs will turn up. They're very unpredictable. As for Palace; we'll, I wasn't in the least bit worried about them when they came to our place just before Christmas. And we know how that ended up. Same for the games at Leicester and Newcastle. Ahead in all three of those games and ended up pointless in each of them. You can't take anything for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Man Utd
    Huddersfield gone ;
    Fulham nearly gone and not looking good for Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That was a huge win for Burnley. They finish the season with chelsea city everton arsenal so really needed the win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Saul Curved Trigger

Arsenal

They were probably one of the worst teams to play/stay up in the Premiership but well done to them for the past 3 season (getting promoted and 2 seasons in the top league), not blowing the budget like Fulham this season, and invested in the club wisely - no ridiculous contracts, a new training ground....not sure will we see them back in the PL though

Man Utd
    BIG 6 revenue growth.

Liverpool and Spurs take a bow. Arsenal you're a disgrace! City....well you know, Utd solid growth for legacy club and Chelsea somewhat less than what you'd imagine in the Roman Abramovich era.

2SNoy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Man Utd
    ^^Liverpool and Spurs take a bow? What exactly have them two clubs won in the last decade? :pac:

Man Utd
    Try looking at the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    I hope Cardiff get mullered in every game left in the season and get relegated and then drop down the leagues and disappear into oblivion for trying to get out of paying the Emiliano Sala transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Man Utd
    Could Sarri literally get sacked in the morning if Chelsea don't win this? They'll be really struggling for top 4 if they don't. Although I suppose they have the Europa fallback...

Man Utd
    Chelsea Arsenal Spurs and Utd all have to pay full attention but no matter what happens there will be two losers and it's going to be a bitter pill for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Chelsea
    I hope Cardiff get mullered in every game left in the season and get relegated and then drop down the leagues and disappear into oblivion for trying to get out of paying the Emiliano Sala transfer fee.

I dunno, it is more complicated than that. As far as I am aware, the first contract was void and there was an obligation on Cardiff to draw up a new one before the signing became valid (which obviously would have happened.) So that is the legal contractual aspect,This is the impression I get. I think that all 3 clubs could resolve this in meeting to a point. At the end of the day Nantes and Bordeaux are also looking at financial issues involved here, it is not just Cardiff.

It is a strange and unfortunate aspect of the tragedy which was always going to materialise considering the money involved.

In my opinion the fee should be cut down and all clubs should cut their losses. The family of Sala should also receive some sort of gratuitous compensation on behalf of all 3 clubs.
    Nantes paid 1 million for the player and he delivered the goods for them and was always going to move on, it is not as if the disproportionately suffered from signing and selling them on. He was a great success for them.

Bordeaux paid f all for him, he didn't have any impact on their footballing fortunes and selling him on was good business with the sell on fee so, again, any sort of signing on payment is a good financial profit, not a loss.

Cardiff are the only club that will disproportionally financially suffer from this if a payment goes ahead at that cost.

If the payment doesn't go ahead at all, all three clubs won't, financially, be at a loss. If the payment does go ahead but to a more reasonable amount, given the circumstances, all 3 clubs will come out more dignified, Cardiff will take a loss financially. Nantes and Bordeaux a profit. So all three clubs are thinking of their pockets at the end of the day. Not just Cardiff,

The press, I imagine aren't fully aware of the whole issue here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Utd Arsenal Spurs and Utd all have to pay full attention but no matter what happens there will be two losers and it's going to be a bitter pill for both.

Assume you mean Chelsea. I think they're going to focus on the Europa League route to CL football next season tbh. They've a very fortunate route to the final as they've been inconsistent at best for 4 or 5 months now.

Man Utd
    Well that was dreadful and there's still about 50 minutes to go!

Man Utd
    Taxi for Sarri!

That should wake them up, listening to 5live the colour comm said Chelsea look bored.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Chelsea have been brutal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement