Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Agree with that view, let the lad have a drink in peace. People are dickheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Liverpool fans should be buying him drinks for having short arms and handing them a winner in the 90th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Man Utd
    .G. wrote: »
    Agree with that view, let the lad have a drink in peace. People are dickheads.

I agree totally let him live his life,he's a bit of a idiot going to a local boozer getting langerd and fighting tho,stay away from them,your a 30 mill pro footballer,drink somewhere safer where your not a target. Bitta sense like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Man Utd
    No amount of wealth or fame makes it ok, palatable or otherwise that a young lad should have to go out with mates and maybe family and have to put up with the abuse, intimidation and aggression shown in the video. The people abusing and harassing him are nothing but the dregs of society. I know some people may excuse it due to alcohol, youth or a combination thereof but there really should be no excuse.

If any of us reading this thinks for a second as to how they or a loved one might feel if they went out with friends / family for a night out and were on the receiving end of such abuse, intimidation, bullying and threat of violence and all simply as a result of who they work for by a rabid gang of vermin. Cannot be excused, they need dipping in a vat of acid...hate scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

What a goal for Arsenal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    What was Lascelles doing there? P1ss poor defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ref is a joke - doesn't like Lacazette. Wouldn't even give him a corner earlier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    How did he ge gove a free out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

They need to import some foreign refs.

They are abysmal.

Man Utd
    Race for 3rd and 4th is going to the wire,
    Huge games midweek now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Man Utd
    Not matter how things end up, Unai Emery is a class manager. Arsenal were pretty much ruled out of making the top four before the season began and here they are right in the thick of it.
    Give that man money to sort out his back four and you have a potential title challenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    Emery doing really well, 3rd would be a huge turnaround from Wenger and possibly springboard towards a title challenge.

Man Utd
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Not matter how things end up, Unai Emery is a class manager. Arsenal were pretty much ruled out of making the top four before the season began and here they are right in the thick of it.
    Give that man money to sort out his back four and you have a potential title challenger.

He seems like a breadth of fresh air and it’s apparent from the desire, intensity, commitment and application shown by the young team that they are playing for him, the club and the supporters and giving 110% effort. Over the latter period of the Wenger reign there seemed to be a jadedness not only regarding Wenger himself but many performances too but that isn’t the case now. Watching the determination to chase down lost causes, the aggression in the tackle and speed and dynamism of their attacking play bodes well if you are an Arsenal fan.

Two or three signings of quality and you are looking at contenders again imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

eagle eye wrote: »

I like Arsenal and Emery I defended him when people said nothing changed from Wenger, I respect the job he's done but potential title challenger is really stretching it.
    They need more quality in the middle of the park & out wide in midfield too; that with the defense essentially they need nearly half a team & lets face it history says he won't get that backing. Maybe if he sold a few he'd have more funds but they don't have many sellable assets they can afford to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    ERG89 wrote: »
    I like Arsenal and Emery I defended him when people said nothing changed from Wenger, I respect the job he's done but potential title challenger is really stretching it.
    They need more quality in the middle of the park & out wide in midfield too; that with the defense essentially they need nearly half a team & lets face it history says he won't get that backing. Maybe if he sold a few he'd have more funds but they don't have many sellable assets they can afford to lose.

They need to spend 100 million on that defence and probaly need a winger which is another 50 million. Hard to see them get that especially with no ramsey money coming in.
    They are in a better place than chelsea however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Well it wasn't Liverpool or Everton fans at Pickford he was back in his home town of Sunderland when that incident happened according to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Man Utd
    ERG89 wrote: »

Yeah I think they are a fair bit away yet as the points total to the top two would show. To contend now you have to be hitting 90+ points probably. Plus they are also losing Ramsey. Emery definitely doing a good job though.

Liverpool
    Strumms wrote: »
    No amount of wealth or fame makes it ok, palatable or otherwise that a young lad should have to go out with mates and maybe family and have to put up with the abuse, intimidation and aggression shown in the video....
    If any of us reading this thinks for a second as to how they or a loved one might feel if they went out with friends / family for a night out and were on the receiving end of such abuse, intimidation, bullying and threat of violence and all simply as a result of who they work for by a rabid gang of vermin. Cannot be excused, they need dipping in a vat of acid...hate scumbags.

Is it not Pickford who is doling out the abuse, intimidation and aggression? Isn't he the man who swings the punch and has to be dragged away by a number of people?

Even if he was reacting to something said, it's not appropriate to respond with violence. There is a wise old saying that covers the issue...sticks and stones may break my bones etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm surprised Pickford can swing a punch with his dinosaur arms.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    Is it not Pickford who is doling out the abuse, intimidation and aggression? Isn't he the man who swings the punch and has to be dragged away by a number of people?

Even if he was reacting to something said, it's not appropriate to respond with violence. There is a wise old saying that covers the issue...sticks and stones may break my bones etc. etc.

I’m not declaring his reaction 100% appropriate though maybe it was..but here is a human being, surrounded by a large number of other people looking as if they possessed the will to intimidate at least and possibly worse.. He felt intimidated and reacted.. they should have been NOWHERE in his space.

I support Manchester United, if I went to a pub or restaurant and saw Vincent Kompany having a good time with family and friends aside from commenting probably to friends... I’d be more concerned about enjoying MY night as opposed to creating a difficulty for him and his company (pun intended). It’s called respect ! And anyone watching that video and able to excuse the behavior of the rabble...sad times

At the moment I’m attending a gym that also caters for elite level athletes from GAA players with multiple All Ireland winners medals to athletes who have represented the country at The Olympics / World Championships, to joe soaps like me.. Nobody bats an eyelid and everyone there just gets on with what they have to do without awe, discomfort or badgering. Ordinary people who in their athletic lives excell and good luck to them... meet them at the water cooler or the changing rooms and they will be yapping on about the matches at the weekend, the news or exercising...the end....why would anyone be of the mindset to go up to someone they don’t know regardless of what they do or who they play for just to be aggressive, intimidating and or abusive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Chelsea
    Unless your 12 inches from pickford your safe enough if he starts swinging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In fairness to Man U fans, they're getting their defence of Pickford in well before he replaces De Gea. That's some mighty fine ground-work there, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Chelsea
    monkey9 wrote: »
    In fairness to Man U fans, they're getting their defence of Pickford in well before he replaces De Gea. That's some mighty fine ground-work there, fair play.

How dafuq does an everton player having a fight with some sunderland lads get turned into a utd vs pool pissing contest.
    Give it a rest lad

Liverpool
    Strumms wrote: »
    I’m not declaring his reaction 100% appropriate though maybe it was..but here is a human being, surrounded by a large number of other people looking as if they possessed the will to intimidate at least and possibly worse.. He felt intimidated and reacted.. they should have been NOWHERE in his space.
    ...It’s called respect ! And anyone watching that video and able to excuse the behavior of the rabble...sad times...

You've gone from saying he was the victim of abuse, intimidation and aggression to saying he is surrounded by people who "look as if they possess the will to intimidate" (whatever that even means) and are "in his space".

He is the person swinging punches, which is a fairly objectionable way of invading anyone's space, and he is surrounded by people who are trying to stop him and haul him away for his own good.

You are watching the video and excusing the violence because the targets "look as if they possess the will to intimidate".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think that the tinfoil is too tight on your head there pal.

Must be sad to live this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Man Utd

I know it's only in jest but comments like these just wreck the thread with United/Pool banter-wånk. It reignites the tit for tat and the thread dissolves into unreadable muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Chelsea
    Fulham for the drop tonight lads? Watford will have one eye on their FA Cup semi final but I still think that they'll have enough to win the game.
    SM01 wrote: »
    I know it's only in jest but comments like these just wreck the thread with United/Pool banter-wånk. It reignites the tit for tat and the thread dissolves into unreadable muck.

Can they not create a thread where they can put all that stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

SM01 wrote: »

Where did it even come from? The usual thanker too. Time after time.

Man Utd
    So lads who would you go for in team of the year ?

I'd go for the below, can't decide on the right back or 3rd midfielder,
    Players who deserve a mention but not sure they make it are D. Silva , Son, Trent, Aubameyang, Wan Bissaka ,
    I know there must be some I'm forgetting ,

Ederson

? VVD Laporte Robertson

fernandinho

B. Silva ?

Sterling Mane

Sergio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Man Utd
    I'd throw Ruben Neves, Roberto Pereyra and Diego Jota into the players who have a fair shout. It'd be mad not to have at least 1 from Wolves or Watford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    It's not May - teams of the season then.

Fulham have a date with destiny tonight - if they lose against Watford and you'd fancy they will even if the Hornets play a changed side (FA Cup semi final coming on Sunday) it's the most expensive squad to ever play in the Championship!

• Spurs
    correction wrote: »
    I'd throw Ruben Neves, Roberto Pereyra and Diego Jota into the players who have a fair shout. It'd be mad not to have at least 1 from Wolves or Watford.

I think both will be subject of transfer rumors all summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    I think both will be subject of transfer rumors all summer

Neves would be a great signing for United. Would cost huge money though as Wolves don't need to sell at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Man Utd
    Neves is a Mendes man isn't he? It wouldn't surprise me to see him moved to one of the Madrids.

Man Utd

Neves great shout for the midfield position ,

Jota and Pereyra have had great season , Picking a team outside of the top two would be even more interesting ,

I guess big worry for Wolves and Watford this summer is losing some of the re best players ,The 3 you mentioned and Doucoure will have a number of clubs wanting to sign them ,

Man Utd
    Will Wolves go full strength tonight with the Fa cup semi final the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Wouldn’t be shocked if this was the TOTY

Alison

Doherty VVD Laporte Robertson

Bernardo Pogba Fernandinho

Sterling Aguero Mane

Alison for me certainly doesn’t warrant a place, not because of his season but because Fabianski I feel has been the better keeper but the bookies have Alison 2/7 to get in & they’re rarely wrong.

Defence picks itself, best 4 defenders in the league in their positions this year.

Midfield is hardest to call, Bernardo is there anyways, debatable with the other 2, 1 of Pogba & Fernandinho will get in I feel maybe one misses out for Erickson or Rice, can’t make a case for any other midfielder. David Silva gone off the boil since Xmas too.

Forwards should be nailed on but don’t you know they’ll squeeze Kane in if they can, the 3 lads up there though have been on fire all season.

Maybe they go 4-4-2 with Sterling & Mane in midfield at the expense of Pogba/Fernaindho to accommodate Kane.

Man Utd

Alison

Sterling Aguero Mane

Alison for me certainly doesn’t warrant a place, not because of his season but because Fabianski I feel has been the better keeper but the bookies have Alison 2/7 to get in & they’re rarely wrong.

Defence picks itself, best 4 defenders in the league in their positions this year.

Midfield is hardest to call, Bernardo is there anyways, debatable with the other 2, 1 of Pogba & Fernandinho will get in I feel maybe one misses out for Erickson or Rice, can’t make a case for any other midfielder. David Silva gone off the boil since Xmas too.

Forwards should be nailed on but don’t you know they’ll squeeze Kane in if they can, the 3 lads up there though have been on fire all season.

Maybe they go 4-4-2 with Sterling & Mane in midfield at the expense of Pogba/Fernaindho to accommodate Kane.

I'd agree with all but Pogba he had a few good games since Ole took over but disappeared again in recent weeks ,

If someone other than the 3 mentioned end up top scorer then they deserve to get the nod and drop Mane or Sterling into midfield ahead of Pogba

I'd also go Ederson in goals .

Will Wolves go full strength tonight with the Fa cup semi final the weekend

Think & they should. Only 2 points separating 7th-11th & open to be corrected but if City win the FA Cup won’t 7th position go automatically into Europe by passing the play off?

I know the runner up in the cup will quailify assuming City beat Brighton.

I'd agree with all but Pogba he had a few good games since Ole took over but disappeared again in recent weeks ,

If someone other than the 3 mentioned end up top scorer then they deserve to get the nod and drop Mane or Sterling into midfield ahead of Pogba

I'd also go Ederson in goals .

I Agree with Ederson but he’s 8/1 with PP to get there though, behind Alison & DDG so would be a surprise. I would say he deserves it after Fab.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    I Agree with Ederson but he’s 8/1 with PP to get there though, behind Alison & DDG so would be a surprise. I would say he deserves it after Fab.

DDG should be no where near winning it

Man Utd
    Think & they should. Only 2 points separating 7th-11th & open to be corrected but if City win the FA Cup won’t 7th position go automatically into Europe by passing the play off?

So they could get there by 7th or making the final ,
    I guess they won't be looking past tonight then ,

DDG should be no where near winning it

Agreed. How he got in there ahead of Ederson last year I do not know. Maybe the bookies just afraid to take him on though, he must be in it the last 5 years has he. That’ll end this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cup runners up do not qualify any more.

If City win the FA Cup then 5th and 6th will be in the group stage and 7th will be in the 2nd Qualifying Round

Man Utd

Alison

Sterling Aguero Mane

Why are you putting Pogba in, he was useless when Jose was there, but you rule D Silva out because he's gone off the boil a bit now.

Neves, Wijaldum, Doucoure, and Fraser have all had excellent full seasons. Guendozi has been very good for Arsenal, Jota for Wolves, there's a few I'd say deserve to be a head of Pogba.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why are you putting Pogba in, he was useless when Jose was there, but you rule D Silva out because he's gone off the boil a bit now.

Neves, Wijaldum, Doucoure, and Fraser have all had excellent full seasons. Guendozi has been very good for Arsenal, Jota for Wolves, there's a few I'd say deserve to be a head of Pogba.

That’s not the team I’d pick as I said, saying it’s the team I think will be is all. Pogba is odds on 8/11 to make it so you’d imagine he’ll be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Guendozi has been very good for Arsenal,

Great shout for a YPOTY nomination but player of the year? He's still our third best midfielder.

Man Utd
    Nixonbot wrote: »
    Great shout for a YPOTY nomination but player of the year? He's still our third best midfielder.

Thought we were talking about team of the year :confused: I've watched a lot of Arsenal this year (obviously not as much as you) and he's the midfielder who's stood out the most for me in your team. Torriea started great but dipped a bit.

VVD or Augero for POTY. Trent Alexander Arnold will be there abouts for YPOTY but Rashford will get it if he's still young enough because he's been very good this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Chelsea
    If pogba scores the winner against city I'd give him player of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't think he's consistent enough but when he was on form he got a few absolute peaches of goals, love the one off the outside of his left vs Wolves. For Watford, I'd have Foster as their POTY so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement