Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Man Utd
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's really very little in it, likewise if Sanchez had contributed anything Utd would not be in this situation. On the player side I think he's you're biggest problem, when he should be dragging you through this. Losing to Derby in the LC 3rd round isn't a major thing but it's magnifying issues at the club, which is further stirred up in the media and online.

I really dislike Jose, he's an odious character, imo. It's shocking to admit but Utd deserve better.

They'd have you believe it's all Martial's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Man Utd
    Turtwig wrote: »
    If Rafa were to leave Newcastle - and you gotta expect he'll do so eventually - he would definitely help bring stability to United. Might not have a 'style' suited United but to heck with that what the club needs now more than ever is a defined structure. Rafa to stabilise things while the club get their act together, identify a philosophy, get a director of football and start targetting players and coaches who could be moulded into it.

After the **** he got from Chelsea fans during his short time there I'd hope he wouldn't want more of the same. It'd be 10x worse from the other lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    x43r0 wrote: »
    After the **** he got from Chelsea fans during his short time there I'd hope he wouldn't want more of the same. It'd be 10x worse from the other lot

I like Rafa but he's certainly not the solution to their problems. It would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Man Utd
    If our striker didn't miss sitters in almost every game he's played this season, the complexion of the season so far and the conversations around United would be a lot different I think.
    And yet he has scored four goals in the Premier league which is the same as Aguero and one behind Hazard and Mitrovic.

Do you expect him to score in every game?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Man Utd
    If Liverpool draw the next 2 games, which are against Chelsea and Man City, which is very plausible, you'd probably have 3 teams then on 20 points from 8 games, and possibly Spurs and Arsenal 2 points behind if they both win their very winnable games. It would be set up very nicely for a multi way battle, and Utd could only be 4 points behind too at that point as they have no massively difficult games on paper coming in the next couple of weeks either.

Obviously that won't happen now that I've said it, but to have the top 5 separated by 2 points at the 8 game mark would be very juicy for the PL promotional aspect, even if Man City would remain very strong favourites.

• Advertisement

• Spurs
    eagle eye wrote: »
    And yet he has scored four goals in the Premier league which is the same as Aguero and one behind Hazard and Mitrovic.

Factor in he has probably received the least amount of chances created when compared to those clubs I think he's performing quite well.

• Spurs
    5starpool wrote: »
    If Liverpool draw the next 2 games, which are against Chelsea and Man City, which is very plausible, you'd probably have 3 teams then on 20 points from 8 games, and possibly Spurs and Arsenal 2 points behind if they both win their very winnable games. It would be set up very nicely for a multi way battle, and Utd could only be 4 points behind too at that point as they have no massively difficult games on paper coming in the next couple of weeks either.

Obviously that won't happen now that I've said it, but to have the top 5 separated by 2 points at the 8 game mark would be very juicy for the PL promotional aspect, even if Man City would remain very strong favourites.

It is for the purpose of Sky hype but for an accurate assessment of who challenges for what in really should be left for after Xmas IMO

Chelsea have surprised me the most this season thus far, followed closely by Arsenal. Both having similar types of transition but have settled in quickly.

Man Utd

I expect him to score open goals and one on ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Last night has absolutely no bearing on mourinhos future at United I would wager, not the first a big team will lose to a lower division team in a cup game and certainly won't be the last. The next two league games before the next international break are massive though, away to west ham and home to Newcastle, anything less than 6 points there and it would be fairly doom and gloom going into the break. West ham are however on the back of two pretty good results going into next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Man Utd
    It is for the purpose of Sky hype but for an accurate assessment of who challenges for what in really should be left for after Xmas IMO

Chelsea have surprised me the most this season thus far, followed closely by Arsenal. Both having similar types of transition but have settled in quickly.

As an Arsenal fan I'd advise you not to be surprised by us at all. We've played brutal pretty much all season barring a 25 minute spell against Chelsea. Emery is getting nothing from our best players and could have lost every game we've won if the opposition were more clinical. I saw the stats say that we're massively over performing our xG so unless Emery gets us playing well (I doubt he will), results will drop off any week.

• Advertisement

• Spurs
    correction wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan I'd advise you not to be surprised by us at all. We've played brutal pretty much all season barring a 25 minute spell against Chelsea. Emery is getting nothing from our best players and could have lost every game we've won if the opposition were more clinical. I saw the stats say that we're massively over performing our xG so unless Emery gets us playing well (I doubt he will), results will drop off any week.

Maybe I jumped the gun and went on points total so apologies. But I'm still surprised to see Arsenal positioned where they are.
    Tbf he had a fairly tough start with the first one or two fixtures.

Chelsea
    There's really very little in it, likewise if Sanchez had contributed anything Utd would not be in this situation. On the player side I think he's you're biggest problem, when he should be dragging you through this.
    r.

It's pretty funny. When they did they trade they were sure they had mugged Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Chelsea
    ok I've watched that training clip twice now and there's really nothing in it. It would need to be a John Hartson/Eyal Berkovic type scenario to be newsworthy.
    They really live in a goldfish bowl

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Man Utd

Oh absolutely it is early days, but speaking from a Liverpool point of view, often after 8 games loads of points have been dropped and they could be 8-10 points off the lead so any dreams of 'being our year' are extinguished early. City still strong favourites, but the longer teams are in the mix the better obviously. The last 2 leagues have been processions from fairly early on (before Christmas anyway) so to have some drama at the top end would be good, although if all other teams except Liverpool want to drop silly points regularly, I'd be quite ok with that.

Utd started last season with 19/21 points, and while they finished second fairly comfortably, they were not really with a chance of the title from well before Christmas, and given that they were the best of the rest it says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Man Utd
    I expect him to score open goals and one on ones.

So you expect him to score at the same rate as Messi and Ronaldo?
    Every other top striker misses many chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Chelsea
    ok I've watched that training clip twice now and there's really nothing in it. It would need to be a John Hartson/Eyal Berkovic type scenario to be newsworthy.

Nothing in it!? Pogbas reaction says it all. There's only a place for one of them at United now, come the summer or even the January window I fully expect one or the other to be gone. Very hard to rebuild a relationship with what they have both said publicly

Chelsea
    Yeah I have worse disagreements with my bosses all the time. While I'm naturally quite contrary and not nearly as valuable as Pogba, I don't have problems with my bosses, other than their very existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    "Nothing in it"? Watching Pogba's reaction to whatever Mourinho said to him, you seriously believe there's nothing in it?

Man Utd
    So you expect him to score at the same rate as Messi and Ronaldo?
    Every other top striker misses many chances.

How you got that conclusion from my post I will never know.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    blueser wrote: »
    "Nothing in it"? Watching Pogba's reaction to whatever Mourinho said to him, you seriously believe there's nothing in it?

Yeah seriously. I think they don't get on but they're hardly swinging at each other. You don't have to like people to work with them. Mountain and molehill imo. Hey, it's just an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

James Lawton who had a regular column in the Irish Independent on top of having a very illustrious and varied career before that died yesterday.

I always thought he was a terrific writer, just cut through the bull**** and his columns were always worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    West Ham crisis over. Anderson seems to be finding his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea
    Beautiful finish by him. Jose in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Man Utd
    Is Jose sick of living in a hotel for 3 years without his family? Seems to me he's looking for the pay-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Is Jose sick of living in a hotel for 3 years without his family? Seems to me he's looking for the pay-off.

A laughable excuse if true, tight backstard can well afford a house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    No match thread for the big game this morning?

Still expect Man U to come to life in the game and Hammer the Hammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Parking the bus against West Ham. Makes for grim viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Parking the bus against West Ham. Makes for grim viewing.

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    No match thread for the big game this morning?

Still expect Man U to come to life in the game and Hammer the Hammers.

I felt the same last week when we played them.

They'll give up chances you just have to take them when they come.

Chelsea
    What a goal. :pac:

Bye bye Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Southampton
    That was a proxy waste of a shot and possesion that was going nowhere if lindeloff wasn't wandering by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Chelsea
    Ed Woodward looking on with the shades. Another spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Great finish by Anderson who is capable when he's up for it. Rest of the half featured very little in the way of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Zidane would be incredibly stupid to take the United job, even if they paid him Sanchez money

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Just seen Utd have Chelsea at Stamford Bridge next, if they lose today it's going to be difficult to see him surviving a drubbing there. I dislike Jose, you can't argue with his success but can't ignore his spectacular failures either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just seen Utd have Chelsea at Stamford Bridge next, if they lose today it's going to be difficult to see him surviving a drubbing there. I dislike Jose, you can't argue with his success but can't ignore his spectacular failures either.

Hopefully they give him time to turn things around :)

Man Utd
    fullstop wrote: »
    Hopefully they give him time to turn things around :)

A 2-2 draw here would suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    The Hammers actually have a very decent attack when everyone is fit - Yarmolenko, Arnie, Anderson and they'll get better the more they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Shades of aspas

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Ashley Aspas.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Man Utd
    Poor Aspas is scoring goals for fun in La Liga, but will always be remembered for that corner :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Man Utd
    ricero wrote: »
    Ed Woodward looking on with the shades. Another spoofer.

Maybe Woodward was right not to back Jose. He’s brought in a fair bit of muck, hundreds of millions spent, discontent in the club, awful football (for the standard required), and looking like a mid table team.
    Is he meant to drop another few hundred million before Jose stops moaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    Maybe Woodward was right not to back Jose. He’s brought in a fair bit of muck, hundreds of millions spent, discontent in the club, awful football (for the standard required), and looking like a mid table team.
    Is he meant to drop another few hundred million before Jose stops moaning?

Problem is he backed him with a contract extension months before deciding not to back him in the transfer market. A lot of clowns in this circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Man Utd
    Problem is he backed him with a contract extension months before deciding not to back him in the transfer market. A lot of clowns in this circus.
    Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes. There is a lack of direction.

Chelsea
    Brilliant save by Fabianski.

Chelsea
    Lovely finish by Rashford. Game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    Tactical genius Jose.

Chelsea
    Smallings defending on Arnautovic is strange, keeps standing off him allowing him to do what he wants with it.

Chelsea
    Lovely goal. 3-1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement