Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    Man U sacked Mourinho when they looked at A the form and B the fixture list. It made sense to bring in a cheerleader temp like OGS, what made no sense at all was signing him up permanently when the tougher run in was still to come - now they are in significant danger of finding he isn't actually very astute as a tactics coach and that he can't work attitude miracles with regard to players like Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Man Utd
    niallo27 wrote: »
    It's not judging the job he has done, I'm judging on his creditionals to get the job full time. Do you admit at least it's a massive risk on utds behalf.

Yeah it's a risk. I'm not denying that.

My issue is the cringey ****e from Liverpool fans talking like he's already an abject failure when in reality, all things considered, he's done well thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

magma69 wrote: »

My issue is the cringey ****e from Liverpool fans talking like he's already an abject failure when in reality, all things considered, he's done well thus far.

I think its more a case that Liverpool fans think he will be an abject failure and can't understand why he was given the permenant job before the season finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Chelsea

He has done well, but if I'm being honest I was delighted when he got the job full time. I dont see the reasoning behind making him full time before end of season. If they dont get top 4 it will all be for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man Utd
    niallo27 wrote: »
    It's not judging the job he has done, I'm judging on his creditionals to get the job full time. Do you admit at least it's a massive risk on utds behalf.

I think like myself most Liverpool fans would.think it was crazy from the United board to jump the gun and make him permenant so early., Literally no need for it at all,
    They should have held out and seen was it Ole or the shadow of Jose being lifted that caused the up turn in form ( probably a bit of both ), Time is the only way to tell ,

Just amazed after all United boards failures the last few years that they pulled the trigger so early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eaten bread is soon forgotten. Particularly if all it achieves is progression through a couple of cup ties and briefly creeping into the top four. If this regresses back to a fifth or sixth place finish the conversation around Ole and transfers this summer is going to be a difficult one.

Unfortunately for Utd fans, Liverpool have guaranteed a finish ahead of them with six games yet to play. They'll have plenty of opinions over the next few months, no matter how "cringey" you find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Very strange. Why ‘in particular Liverpool & Arsenal in particular’ why the emphasis on particular too.

Were either interested? Arsenal haven’t that money to spend & never seen Liverpool linked, oddly enough he was better off choosing the club he joined besides Liverpool, what with there ‘fab 3’ etc.
    Not that strange really. There were rumours early days about Liverpool being interested, but once City showed interest it died quickly. City have in the past targeted Arsenal players like Adeboyer and Clichy etc as much to weaken Arsenal as to strengthen their own squad. Mahrez was never worth 75 million, and was always going to be a fringe player at best at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    Mr.H wrote: »
    Firstly i clearly said the words all mocking united aside.

Secondly i was praising wolves. Not mocking united.

Thirdly im sure you enjoyed the result? You like watching them lose iirc?
    Mr. H wrote:
    I was joking. I was staying well clear of mocking united because these conversations bore everyone.

I mean everyone else got it.....

Are you really going to fight this battle mate?

When someone says "All x aside" it's directly after they have said something to that effect.

e.g. You make a joke about someone and then you say "All joking aside..."

You said "Haha...No all mocking united aside" because you had just did a bit of mockery at United's expense.

It's cool. I've no issue with a bit of mockery and 'bantz' when a rival team loses. Just baffled why you ranted and raved at me the other night when we ain't so different after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair i dont think its just liverpool fans who doubt his credentials.

Imho its a great appointment. They will bring in a footballing director and ogs will be more like a head coach than manager. He wont really have much say on transfers. It kinda allows united to clean house and rid the deadwood while they reset. They will likely bring in a bigger name after ogs when the waste such as sanchez and pogba are gone. Any big manager wouldnt like to be undermined but a team player in ogs will be ok with it.

I am surprised they made the appointment so early though. No need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Chelsea
    Still remains to be seen if the OGS appointment was the correct call. What we definitely know is, now he has to prove his worth.
    Anything other than top 4 isn’t good enough. He also has to deal with the pogba issue. If it was me I’d sell him for whatever I could get. Also think DDG is not the same player this season. 2 more errors tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chelsea
    I think like myself most Liverpool fans would.think it was crazy from the United board to jump the gun and make him permenant so early., Literally no need for it at all,
    They should have held out and seen was it Ole or the shadow of Jose being lifted that caused the up turn in form ( probably a bit of both ), Time is the only way to tell ,

Just amazed after all United boards failures the last few years that they pulled the trigger so early

Completely agree.
    No need to rush it. He had the lift of coming in and that could have continued, not now though.
    A lot of serious doubts are being raised now. Doubts that would not be an issue if they waited till the seasons end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair i dont think its just liverpool fans who doubt his credentials.

Imho its a great appointment. They will bring in a footballing director and ogs will be more like a head coach than manager. He wont really have much say on transfers. It kinda allows united to clean house and rid the deadwood while they reset. They will likely bring in a bigger name after ogs when the waste such as sanchez and pogba are gone. Any big manager wouldnt like to be undermined but a team player in ogs will be ok with it.

I am surprised they made the appointment so early though. No need
    IMHO they should have went for Pochetino. He's more experienced and more proven then Ole, and it would have royally fvcked over Spurs too. Pochetino will probably still be United head coach within 18 months or so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd
    A famous Man It's manager once said that 'Charlie Adam's corners are worth £10m alone'.

Are we at the point in football where a Man Utd midfielder has penalties that are worth £90m alone? As he really doesn't do a whole lot much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Chelsea
    IMHO they should have went for Pochetino. He's more experienced and more proven then Ole, and it would have royally fvcked over Spurs too. Pochetino will probably still be United head coach within 18 months or so anyway.

You could be right. Poch would definitely have been a better choice. Think of him with United money. Now that’s scary!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Man Utd
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Completely agree.
    No need to rush it. He had the lift of coming in and that could have continued, not now though.
    A lot of serious doubts are being raised now. Doubts that would not be an issue if they waited till the seasons end.

I kinda get why they did it though at the same time. There's a lot to be fixed at United over the summer especially if Herrera is gone now too.

An extra two months to bed in and start working on transfer targets makes sense to me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

I think Poch will be at PSG before the end of next season if that shiny new stadium hampers his ability to spend money needed to take Spurs to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Man Utd
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eaten bread is soon forgotten. Particularly if all it achieves is progression through a couple of cup ties and briefly creeping into the top four. If this regresses back to a fifth or sixth place finish the conversation around Ole and transfers this summer is going to be a difficult one.

Unfortunately for Utd fans, Liverpool have guaranteed a finish ahead of them with six games yet to play. They'll have plenty of opinions over the next few months, no matter how "cringey" you find them.

If (insert entirely hypothetical situation and ignore the reality of what's actually happened).

I'm a Liverpool fan btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Chelsea
    Ole bounce is gone last 4 Prem games they have lost two and didnt deserve to beat Watford or the Saints
    Ole will be gone by next summer
    There last four Prem games they lost 2 and should not have beat Saints or Watford , They also so so lucky v PSG
    There playing poorly for a while now
    And Utd scraped by PSG and Watford.And the Saints
    I said it at the time but it just never made sense for the United board to put pressure on themselfs by annoucing Ole when they did ,
    Why not wait see what happened , Ole was willing to wait , no need at all for a rushed appointment
    United one of the biggest clubs in the wold but in decline for 7 years have appointed the Molde manger what could possibly go wrong ?

Can you not see how that may be a problem

Ok. Talk about repeating yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looks like you've got a fan YDR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    Mate he literally began his sentence with "Haha...No all mocking united aside..."

Not sure which of those sentences stings the most. No to both btw.

I assume "all mocking aside" is a turn of phrase similar to "all joking aside" and I took it as him putting aside what others had posted?

Man Utd

That's mild by Yourdeadrigts standards. You want to see him when he gets going about Kieta ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Chelsea
    If Ole was any good would he be managing molde?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    I assume "all mocking aside" is a turn of phrase similar to "all joking aside" and I took it as him putting aside what others had posted?

What about the first line? Here it is again:
    Mr. H wrote:
    Haha

No all mocking united aside. Wolves have been brilliant this year.

Seems clear as day to me. And if anyone could be in doubt that the haha was a bit of joshing at United's expense, he helpfully points it out in the second line: "No all mocking United aside."

i.e. I'm mocking them but now here's my serious point about Wolves.

To reiterate, I've no problem with the above. It's tame stuff really. But considering he called me a terrible person, the worst sort of fan etc., only two nights ago for wanting to see a rival team fail, and was calling for some humility, it's hard not to look on the above as a double standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Crystal Palace
    Jesus Christ this is petty shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Man Utd
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    If Ole was any good would he be managing molde?

If Klopp was any good, would he have have spent 7 years at Mainz?

Taking any singular piece of information, without looking at the whole context is fairly pointless. The fact is he HAS done well since he came in. Will he continue to be good? Who knows. But the improvement was stark - the best beginning of any manager ever in the premier league, so credit where it's due.

Personally, I still think it's a bigger risk to give it to him full time over another manager that's more experienced with all the other aspects of managing a big club that he still hasn't been tested by. But I can totally understand the decision to give him a try at least. And in fairness, he's earned a shot. In the grand scheme of things, even if he doesn't work out, it's not going to destroy the club or anything. They could certainly survive another season of underperformance if it came to it without losing much of that massive game-changing revenue, and then bring in someone like Pochetino.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It's cool. I've no issue with a bit of mockery and 'bantz' when a rival team loses. Just baffled why you ranted and raved at me the other night when we ain't so different after all.

My mockery amounted to the sum of the word haha. The rest of the comment was talking about how good wolves have been this season. In fact my comment had very little to do with united.

As for the ranting and raving, that was based on you saying you have no issue with united losing as ling as liverpool lost too (paraphrasing of course).

I have nothing against you buddy and to be honest i would be delighted if we could both just laugh off what was a ridiculous argument from both of us. I know i was childish enough to keep digging in. I get your sentiment from the other night. I dont agree with it but i get it. Maybe my comment saying haha came off more mocking than it was meant. For that i apologies. I just dont want to clutter a thread with an argument that nobody including you and me, want to read. Its as boring as net spend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Chelsea

We have a stalker lads, thread carefully :P

Man Utd
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's mild by Yourdeadrigts standards. You want to see him when he gets going about Kieta ;)

:D:D

How beautiful would it be if he got the winner to win the Prem or champions league:D

Chelsea
    Dcully wrote: »
    We have a stalker lads, thread carefully :P

His posts were all written within a few minutes. Use your head. Funny man

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Could it be written in the stars that the season comes down to the last few seconds & is decided by a Raheem Sterling 3 yard offside winning goal.

World war 3 would ensue.

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    Could it be written in the stars that the season comes down to the last few seconds & is decided by a Raheem Sterling 3 yard offside winning goal.

Something similar happened a few years ago.

article-2529620-1A4C104200000578-62_634x458.jpg

Chelsea

World war 3 would ensue.

A Rafa masterclass in Liverpools penultimate game would be possibly even more exceptional in my opinion! Pool fans still love Rafa (and probably still will regardless ) but it would certainly be a bitter pill to swallow if JJ Shelvey is brought on in injury time and scores a winner and Liverpool lose on goal difference!

An offside winner.......

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

A Rafa masterclass in Liverpools penultimate game would be possibly even more exceptional in my opinion! Pool fans still love Rafa (and probably still will regardless ) but it would certainly be a bitter pill to swallow if JJ Shelvey is brought on in injury time and scores a winner and Liverpool lose on goal difference!

An offside winner.......

That would be worse in fairness but there’s no way Rafa spoils the party. Just won’t happen. Shelvey would revel in getting the winner without question though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Fulham
    Interested to hear other fans thoughts on Pogba. He certainly at best divides United fans opinions but is that fair when you look at his overall 3 years at the club and what he has or hasn't given? What is a fair appraisal of the player ?

• Spurs
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Interested to hear other fans thoughts on Pogba. He certainly at best divides United fans opinions but is that fair when you look at his overall 3 years at the club and what he has or hasn't given? What is a fair appraisal of the player ?

Same as, I'd like to see genuine thoughts on him outside of the Utd thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Man Utd
    Quality player but think he needs a big time manager to get any real consistency from him. I don't see OGS getting a top season from him but could see Guardiola/Zidane/Ancelotti etc. managing to get him on the right track and get his head down.

• Spurs
    correction wrote: »
    Quality player but think he needs a big time manager to get any real consistency from him. I don't see OGS getting a top season from him but could see Guardiola/Zidane/Ancelotti etc. managing to get him on the right track and get his head down.
    Thanks for this.
    Can you elaborate on what said manager would require to get the best out of him? Do you believe he has the ability to command a central midfield?

Man Utd
    The Premier league simply doesn't suit him ,
    He is capable of magic and is a vastly talented football player but the Premier league demands your on it 100% of the time every week ,The small teams can punish you if your application is not there , its even more pronounced when your a midfielder .

He played for Juve who walked there league and had probably max 4 /6 tuff games a season , He could switch off and drift through games no problem ,the slower tempo also suited him , Then every 4 games play a blinder,

I know he won a world cup but that was month of focus which is easier than the day in day out year after year slog for your club ,
    Also lets not forget International football is not all that ,

He will go to Real and look good because again as he will have 4 tough games in the league a season (2 barca,2 AT Madird )

Very talented football player but finds application tuff ,

As a Liverpool fan its telling our mangers go to midfield in big games is Gini, Hendo , Milner, none of them have even remotely near the talent of Pogba but all work there socks off ,

Man Utd

People say he's great and a guy to build a team around but he's not. He's that final piece you add to a team to cap it off.

He's turned up for two months this season. His stats have been padded some what with his penalties and he had a few assists that were short simple passes outside the box and the scorer got a few worldies (I'm thinking two for Lingard and one for Martial and Rashford but I could be wrong?). To me it looks like he goes missing far to often. His best game I saw him play this year was against Liverpool in Old Trafford, he was everywhere that day and caused us loads of problems.

Was he worth 90m? No. Will he ever be remembered as a great player for United like Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Vidic etc? No, I don't think so.

What people will say is he's a guy who could and should have taken the PL by storm and dominated the midfield for years. He has power, pace and tonnes of ability but he doesn't seem to have the same commitment or drive that the likes of Gerrard or Lampard had.

Man Utd
    Penalty merchant who has never been a midfielder who has controlled the midfield and will never be a midfielder who controls a game or dictates how it is played.

Too much of a luxury player.

Great at dribbling and in actions around the box but doesn't put the graft in before it gets there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    He's clearly very talented. Was a large factor in the good run Utd went on probably the factor. I don't watch Utd much and most of what I know is following the hysteria around him on the Utd thread.
    He seems to get blamed a lot for poor performances and I'm not convinced he's always the problem. It's noticeable when he plays poorly because when he plays well Utd get a good result.

I don't think it's fair to say the PL doesn't suit him because on his day it certainly does.

His personality, price tag and talent make him an easy target, when things go wrong. It does seem when he's bad he's very bad but again that's just what I'm picking up second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd

An offside winner.......

We all know what's going to happen - it'll be Liverpool with a 1 point advantage on the final day and with Liverpool drawing against Wolves in the 93th minute Conor Coady inexplicably passes back to his keeper without need or warning to slot home the title winner! :D

(Mr Coady subsequently puts in a transfer request and plays in Saudi Arabia and then China before retiring to an unknown location in the jungles of Papua New Guinea)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    I think Pogba would be excellent in the right midfield setup, maybe consistency would be an issue but if hes on it, hes a good asset to any side.

At Chelsea for example, we've flopped around between Kovacic, Barkley and RLC to play LCM, if we had Pogba he'd be perfect for that role as he can do everything the other 3 and excels in a lot of things those 3 cant.

He'd also be linking with one of the best players in the PL but its something we wont ever see, unless they both end up at Madrid this summer, which isnt as absurd as it sounds.

• Spurs
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think Pogba would be excellent in the right midfield setup, maybe consistency would be an issue but if hes on it, hes a good asset to any side.

At Chelsea for example, we've flopped around between Kovacic, Barkley and RLC to play LCM, if we had Pogba he'd be perfect for that role as he can do everything the other 3 and excels in a lot of things those 3 cant.

He'd also be linking with one of the best players in the PL but its something we wont ever see, unless they both end up at Madrid this summer, which isnt as absurd as it sounds.
    Just for clarification;

So Kante is a requirement to get the best out of him? Not the fact Pogba has or does not have the ability to command central midfield himself?

Would you build a team around Pogba or prefer him to compliment an already steady backbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    Just for clarification;

So Kante is a requirement to get the best out of him? Not the fact Pogba has or does not have the ability to command central midfield himself?

Would you build a team around Pogba or prefer him to compliment an already steady backbone.

I think left to his own devices and given very little to think about in the defensive phase other than linking play and providing killer passes or late runs into the box he could be great.

France nailed it with Matuidi and Kante, 2 work horses able to get through an insane work load and Pogba was pretty much free to do what he wanted.

I dont think he could control a CM all on his own and I dont think you need Kante to unlock him but having a good healthy mix would certainly help the more positive sides of Pogbas game.

I've always thought hes a bit of an all rounder, hes a good playmaker from deep, hes a goal threat, he can keep the ball ticking over and he can go box to box, I think Pogbas biggest issue hes try to do all of those things at once.

I dont watch Utd regularly at all but he does seem to divide opinion, so i dont know if hes struggled with defensive players behind like Matic and Herrera who should be able to carry his lack of defensive awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Chelsea
    I think Pogba is massively overated and I wouldn't have him in any team I was trying to build

Man Utd
    "I don't think it's fair to say the PL doesn't suit him because on his day it certainly does."

I don't think it suits him in the way if you don't turn up with application in the PL you'll be noticed,

On his day he is immense but in the Prem you can't hide in midfield you can't decide to drift through a game,

Its the fact you need to be on it evry week that does not suit him ,

The above is what made Keane ,Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard PL greats , Even on an off day they put in a real shift ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Fulham
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think left to his own devices and given very little to think about in the defensive phase other than linking play and providing killer passes or late runs into the box he could be great.

France nailed it with Matuidi and Kante, 2 work horses able to get through an insane work load and Pogba was pretty much free to do what he wanted.

I dont think he could control a CM all on his own and I dont think you need Kante to unlock him but having a good healthy mix would certainly help the more positive sides of Pogbas game.

I've always thought hes a bit of an all rounder, hes a good playmaker from deep, hes a goal threat, he can keep the ball ticking over and he can go box to box, I think Pogbas biggest issue hes try to do all of those things at once.

I dont watch Utd regularly at all but he does seem to divide opinion, so i dont know if hes struggled with defensive players behind like Matic and Herrera who should be able to carry his lack of defensive awareness.

If Chelsea were definitely going to buy one midfield player for 120-140 million, would you be happy if they chose to spend it on Pogba?

Man Utd
    If Chelsea were definitely going to buy one midfield player for 120-140 million, would you be happy if they chose to spend it on Pogba?

He hasn't lived up to the 90m pricetag. No one in the PL will take a chance and pay even more than that.

Edit: if he does go it'll be to Madrid or PSG. What I could see happening is Madrid goes for Neymar or Barca goes for Mbappe and then PSG buy Pogba as a big name replacement. Or it'll be a player and cash swap with Madrid. Maybe Bale or Kroos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

I don't watch United games at all but I think the fact that those that do, especially United fans, are split on him tells the story. He's not a world beater, just a very very good player in perfect circumstances and on his day. Nobody could argue the ability of the likes of Scholes, Gerrard, Keane, Lampard etc and for the money paid Pogba should be in that bracket but he clearly isn't since he's very much a marmite player.

A top player proves he's a top player even in poor teams pretty much every time they take to the field, Pogba doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement