Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    Updated link, try again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Arsenal
    klose wrote: »
    Chelsea a bit of an unknown, a manager who coached a brilliant napoli team but with only one player in and hazard with his head turned can they make up the ground?

As a Liverpool fan I'd be hugely disappointed if we don't pick up any silverware this season and really there's no excuse why we can't klopp has all the tools he wants at his disposal.

A lot does depend on Hazard for Chelsea. I don't expect Hazard's performance levels to drop though. At the very least he's going to be playing his best to be kept in the conversation for Real Madrid next season. It's also the first time he is being managed by a truly attacking manager, someone who got 36 goals in the league out of Higuain and converted Dries Mertens into a prolific striker the next season.
    It mostly depends on the striker for Chelsea now. Can Morata adapt, or is an ageing player like Higuain more suited to the system?

For Liverpool I think it's now or never. It's the perfect time, Klopp has been building to this point since he arrived, with some great signings over the last few years and smart use of the Coutinho money.

But at the same time, I don't think he'll be able to keep the team together for another season if they don't win any silverware. His team got picked apart at Dortmund (I know they are weaker financially), and I think the same could happen to a lesser extent at Liverpool, with many of the few teams who rank higher than Liverpool globally in need of rebuilding over the coming seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    Updated link, try again :)
    Still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Man Utd
    Managers to receive yellow and red cards in the upcoming season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45025794

Edit: verbal cautions in the PL but yellow and red in the cups and Football league (sorry)

Man Utd
    astradave wrote: »
    Managers to receive yellow and red cards in the upcoming season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45025794

Edit: verbal cautions in the PL but yellow and red in the cups and Football league (sorry)
    Warnock will have a rap sheet longer than his arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Man Utd
    blueser wrote: »

Yeah, there is some absolute headcases down the leagues, will be interesting to see it implemented. Probably trialling it down there and in the cups and then try move it in to PL the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

blueser wrote:

Sometimes when he knows he is out of his depth & on the verge of the sack he is quite content at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Man Utd
    Honestly wonder if those that voted for Liverpool are doing so out of genuine expectation of winning the title or just blindly voting Liverpool no matter what?

Sure they have improved their squad, but will surely take time for the new players to bed in, and it has yet to be proven if Liverpool can be consistent enough over a sustained period to challenge, probably their biggest problem from the last two years.

Not convinced yet to be honest - it's City to lose. Chelsea looks to be still a mess, Man Utd seems very unsettled at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    I would have voted for Liverpool but it's a public poll leaving me open to ridicule. City are rightly favourites but if they have a blip it becomes a free for all. Wouldn't necessarily rule out Chelsea or Arsenal both with new managers and are a lot better on paper than Lecister from a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    I'd say given how far along Liverpool are under Klopps evolution, they are far and away the best equipped side to stick it to City.

I dont think they'll win it, hence why I voted City but I think they're the best of the rest but ultimately City will still romp home with the title by about 15points.

They really need to a win trophy though but you could say the same for Spurs this year.

Man Utd
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Sometimes when he knows he is out of his depth & on the verge of the sack he is quite content at times.
    Those times are few and far between. He is constantly at war with referees. Has he ever lost a game and it wasn't down to the referee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd
    Honestly wonder if those that voted for Liverpool are doing so out of genuine expectation of winning the title or just blindly voting Liverpool no matter what?

Sure they have improved their squad, but will surely take time for the new players to bed in, and it has yet to be proven if Liverpool can be consistent enough over a sustained period to challenge, probably their biggest problem from the last two years.

Not convinced yet to be honest - it's City to lose. Chelsea looks to be still a mess, Man Utd seems very unsettled at the moment.

Liverpool biggest problems over the last two years was good quality backup in the squad. That has been addressed now but you can't look past City for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd

I've seen a recent trend of United fans to keep saying they "expect" Liverpool to win every game, trophy etc. Just trying to build expectations that Liverpool winning the league is a forgone conclusion.

If they don't win the league (or matches), well they have failed.
    If they do win the league (or matches), it's nothing special as they were expected to win anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Liverpool
    FitzShane wrote: »
    I've seen a recent trend of United fans to keep saying they "expect" Liverpool to win every game, trophy etc. Just trying to build expectations that Liverpool winning the league is a forgone conclusion.

If they do win the league (or matches), it's nothing special as they were expected to win anyways.

I truely hope they don't win it, would be the most unbearable outcome of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man Utd
    My predictions for the top spots

1. City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Chelsea

4/5 between United and Spurs imo, not sure which way it will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    Unless City blip/come down to more normal levels it'll be another no contest.

Man Utd
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Unless City blip/come down to more normal levels it'll be another no contest.

I don't think they'll win it by as much this season and will drop a few more points over last year.

The only way I see them not winning it is if they focus 100% on winning the CL and put out weak teams in the league in the latter stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Man Utd

I haven’t seen that anywhere.

Chelsea
    I haven’t seen that anywhere.

There's certainly a lot of doom and gloom from Utd fans and optimism on our side of the hedge but I don't believe it's an orchestrated campaign by you lot :)
    Anyway we're always optimistic at this time of year.

City's to lose but 5 or so clubs waiting in the wings if they slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Man Utd
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's certainly a lot of doom and gloom from Utd fans and optimism on our side of the hedge but I don't believe it's an orchestrated campaign by you lot :)
    Anyway we're always optimistic at this time of year.

City's to lose but 5 or so clubs waiting in the wings if they slip up.

I think most “top 6” teams do be optimistic at this time of year but after seeing what City achieved in the league last season, it’s not so easy to be optimistic if you’re a United fan.

The are nailed on for this season in my opinion, same with anyone else I’ve been talking to. I expect Liverpool to have a better league season than last but still be 8 points or more off them at the end.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    ah yeah I know. I look through other team threads thinking they sure are overly optimistic of their chances and sure I'm thinking the same nonsense myself.
    Injuries to key players can blow a team's chances out of the water and just a bit of bad luck here and there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Man Utd
    The rest of the top six are hoping City get 12-15 pts less to give them a chance and if they want this to happen they need to go do it, City took 24pts from 30pts over those ten games. Those games are the leagues best chances to see City fall back. If they go and put up 90+ points it's theirs again. Think United and Liverpool have the best chances to capitalise if City fluff it and/or concentrate fully on the Champions League.

Top 10
    City
    Liverpool
    United
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    West Ham
    Wolves
    Burnley

Bottom 3
    Brighton
    Huddersfiled
    Cardiff

Most of the bottom half could get relegated.

Man Utd
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't think they'll win it by as much this season and will drop a few more points over last year.

The only way I see them not winning it is if they focus 100% on winning the CL and put out weak teams in the league in the latter stages.
    Agreed. We won't win it by 19 points again. Lat season was a once in a blue moon season. Only losing two games, only failing to win 6 in total. Freakish, irrespective of how good we were. I'd be looking at somewhere around the 90 point mark this time around. Hopefully win it by maybe somewhere between 6 and 10 points (though I'd take a 1 point gap right now!). Liverpool will be the potential fly in the ointment, in my opinion, possibly followed by Chelsea and utd in that order.

Liverpool
    I'm going to say Spurs. Not because I think they will, City will, but because I'll get years out of pointing out that I was one of the handful on the poll who did and only we truly know the game...

I am surprised they are only at 2 votes mind you...I think they are as likely as any to benefit should City slip up and Salah get injured/lose form.

Man Utd

If Liverpool get to within 10 points of the champions I'll be surprised. Miles off the pace last year. City won 11 more matches then Liverpool.

It would take an exceptional season. Citys squad is much deeper.

I've yet to meet a Liverpool fan in person that thinks they'll win the league next season tbh.

Chelsea
    I just voted for them to get them to 25%. Now if no-one else votes my OCD will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If Liverpool get to within 10 points of the champions I'll be surprised. Miles off the pace last year. City won 11 more matches then Liverpool.

It would take an exceptional season. Citys squad is much deeper.

I've yet to meet a Liverpool fan in person that thinks they'll win the league next season tbh.

Think Liverpool should be targeting 90 points, which is still a massive jump from last season's total.

If they get to 90 points, they more than likely win the league. If Liverpool get 90 points, and City get more, well then they were just beaten by the better side overall. Can have no shame in not winning the league with that points total.

Man Utd
    If they get to 90 points, they more than likely win the league. If Liverpool get 90 points, and City get more, well then they were just beaten by the better side overall. Can have no shame in not winning the league with that points total.

You'll still have the usual lads on social media calling them bottlers if they don't win it on 90 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Chelsea
    City had an exceptional season last year. The thing about exceptional events is they don't happen every year. They are rightly favourites but this season will be a proper title chase until the last few weeks I expect. Liverpool best placed to challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Man Utd
    Think Liverpool should be targeting 90 points, which is still a massive jump from last season's total.

It's a massive jump, though. 15 extra points in a season?

For context, Liverpool's highest ever PL total is 86 in 2008/09. Only 3 times have the club ever hit 80 in the PL era (01/02, 08/09, 13/14).

And if we want to look at the broader context again, only on 8 occasions has a team hit 90+ in the PL era: Man United (93/94, 99/00, 08/09), Arsenal (03/04), Chelsea (04/05, 05/06, 16/17) and Man City (17/18).

It's certainly not impossible for Liverpool - or any side - to hit the 90 point mark but it is an incredibly difficult thing to do. It leaves essentially no margin for significant error, no space for major injuries and puts a real mental and physical demand on all involved to maintain the run over 8/9 months.

To have it as an expectation or a target for anyone is... Optimistic.

• Advertisement

Man Utd

20% jump in points. It'd be quite an improvement.

Man Utd
    City will have Mendy available this season as well. He'll add an awful lot to the side.

Looking forward to seeing how he does.

Man Utd
    garra wrote: »
    City had an exceptional season last year. The thing about exceptional events is they don't happen every year. They are rightly favourites but this season will be a proper title chase until the last few weeks I expect. Liverpool best placed to challenge.

Remember, they would have won the league with 19 less points!

It was an incredible season, but I'd still have them to hit 90+ points,so as menioned above,that's what any other challengers probably need to have as a pre season target.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Man Utd
    The league is Pep's bread and butter so you have to consider them heavy favorites. They haven't lost anyone of importance and have added Mahrez as yet another attacking option.

Liverpool look best place to challenge but things could easily go awry (New players don't settle, Salah doesn't hit last years form, injuries to Van Dijk/Any of the front 3).

United have a squad on paper that should be challenging , a lot seems to rest Mourinho getting them firing. Things don't seem to be happy behind the scenes but could be tabloid nonsense. If the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku etc can bring their A game consistently they should be right up there.

Spurs have a settled squad and manager (though a few players appear to want out) so might be next best placed to challenge. So many of their squad going far in the WC won't help them start well though.

Chelsea haven't bought as much as they probably needed to so it's hard to see them challenging seriously. I'd imagine a top 4 finish would keep them happy. The fates of Hazard and Courtois, and whether they get a new striker in, will play a big part in the fate of their season.

Arsenal are hard to call, some very talented players, especially in attack. If Unai Emery can get the attack clicking while maintaining a bit of steel at the back they could be a surprise package.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TitianGerm wrote:
    City will have Mendy available this season as well. He'll add an awful lot to the side.

I think City should have brought someone in after Jorginho went to Chelsea instead(or just offer him more £££ tbh). Fernandinho is getting on now & when they're not in possession he may not be as effective as he once was. The best sides always build when they are on top & I'm surprised City haven't done more than bring in Mahrez.

Man Utd
    I think City should have brought someone in after Jorginho went to Chelsea instead(or just offer him more £££ tbh). Fernandinho is getting on now & when they're not in possession he may not be as effective as he once was. The best sides always build when they are on top & I'm surprised City haven't done more than bring in Mahrez.

There was a few links to Veratti floating around earlier in the week.

Man Utd
    Well; rumours surfaced yesterday that we might try to nab Verratti from PSG. I'd love to see him come to us, but I doubt it will happen. PSG would be looking for silly money for him, and we've shown with Sanchez and Jorginho that we won't be held to ransom for players.

Chelsea
    Shame City have such an easy start.

Between the opening game against Arsenal and their 8th game against Liverpool they are playing the 3 teams that came up this year and the 3 teams that came up last year.

They could easily be on a maximum 21 points by the time they play Liverpool.

So they could have a decent cushion before they start facing any dodgy fixtures.

They have proven they are superb front runners so a more difficult start could have made things a tad more interesting.

Man Utd

Between the opening game against Arsenal and their 8th game against Liverpool they are playing the 3 teams that came up this year and the 3 teams that came up last year.

So they could have a decent cushion before they start facing any dodgy fixtures.

They have proven they are superb front runners so a more difficult start could have made things a tad more interesting.

Arsenal away not a given tbf.

• Advertisement

Man Utd

They have Pool & Spurs away and Utd at home all within 3 or 4 weeks so they could easily drop points in that month or so.

Chelsea

Not suggesting it is. Not at all.

I pointed out the 6 games between Arsenal and Liverpool are possibly the 6 poorest teams in the league.

If they do beat Arsenal then it’s fair to suggest they should be on 21 points, from 7 games, when they play Liverpool.

Chelsea
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    They have Pool & Spurs away and Utd at home all within 3 or 4 weeks so they could easily drop points in that month or so.

I know they have to play everyone.

My point is it’s a very handy start for a team proven to be good front runners. By the time those games come along draws could be good results. Wins would create even more distance.

Man Utd
    I know they have to play everyone.
    You dont say?
    My point is it’s a very handy start for a team proven to be good front runners. By the time those games come along draws could be good results. Wins would create even more distance.

Thats the luck of the draw, however as a chasing team, I'd be more concerned about their run in where they play :

Cardiff (h)
    Palace (a)
    Spurs (h)
    Burnley (a)
    Leicester (h)
    Brighton (a)

Its a easy run in

Man Utd
    Certainly not with a new man at the helm, no. We need to be pretty close to our best to get anything there.

Man Utd
    Just on City, I heard on 4FM that Man City home games are on sale and tickets are available, found it strange so logged on and ya, you can buy tickets to pretty much all City's home PL games online.

With the exception of Arsenal (sold out), Utd, (On sale now to Cityzens Matchday members only who purchased their membership before Monday 25th June 2018.), Everton, Pool (On sale now to supporters who have previously attended a first team match at the Etihad Stadium. Limited to 4 tickets per supporter.)

https://tickets.mancity.com/en-GB/categories/Men's%20Tickets

Jaysus, I'm not sure how they dont sell out every week if thats the case, most of the top 6 clubs PL home games wont make general sale and certainly wont be available months before hand, and in some cases require loyalty points build up to get tickets.

I'd nearly buy tickets to Chelsea game and sit in the home end. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

City will drop more points this season. It usually is the case when a side blows away the competition, that the competition adapts. I expect a few more sides to look at what did well against City last season and try to play them in a less sit back, stand off manner. City won't suddenly turn into a side that loses every week but maybe one that will be challenged every now and again. I still think City will pick up enough points to at worst see them in the late 80s though. Anyway the next step for City is Champions League, with Real losing the best striker in the world the competition is a lot more open now. City have to be at the business end now. For a man considered the best manager in the world Pep needs to be competing for the CL.

For Man Utd this pretty much needs to be the season for Jose. He needs to show just why he was brought to the club. There needs to be improvement on last season both domestically and in Europe. Finishing 2nd and getting knocked out in the last 16 of the CL isn't good enough. Should City somehow collapse I think United have to be the side to take advantage. I expect it will be a 2nd or 3rd place finish though. Maybe a better return in the CL.

Liverpool are at that stage now where they have to push on. They have potentially the best squad they have ever had in the PL era and the next step has to be trophies. I expect they will once again fall short though. 2nd or 3rd for them. Maybe the FA cup.

Chelsea, champions season before last and if their boom bust cycle continues they'll be decent this season. Think they'll be the favourites to finish 4th. I like Sarri a lot.

Arsenal possibly the most unknown of the top 6. New manager, some decent new players. Think they do well but just fall short and finish just outside the top 4. A period of transition but I think they are heading in a better direction now. I expect they will be much more difficult to beat than recent seasons.

Spurs are a funny one. No investment so far but have kept their best players which I guess you could count as investment. They seem like a club just spinning their wheels. There was a chance to kick on but that chance is slipping away. Perhaps the new stadium is eating into the transfer budget too much. A battle for top 4 for them which I don't see them winning.

Tldr: I expect City to win but not by as comfortable a margin. Man Utd and Liverpool are the next best. Chelsea I expect to be too good for Arsenal and Spurs for the final CL spot.

Man Utd
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just on City, I heard on 4FM that Man City home games are on sale and tickets are available, found it strange so logged on and ya, you can buy tickets to pretty much all City's home PL games online.

With the exception of Arsenal (sold out), Utd, (On sale now to Cityzens Matchday members only who purchased their membership before Monday 25th June 2018.), Everton, Pool (On sale now to supporters who have previously attended a first team match at the Etihad Stadium. Limited to 4 tickets per supporter.)

https://tickets.mancity.com/en-GB/categories/Men's%20Tickets

Jaysus, I'm not sure how they dont sell out every week if thats the case, most of the top 6 clubs PL home games wont make general sale and certainly wont be available months before hand, and in some cases require loyalty points build up to get tickets.

I'd nearly buy tickets to Chelsea game and sit in the home end. :pac:

That's mental.

How are they so poorly supported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

That's mental.

How are they so poorly supported?

Depends on your definition of poorly supported. City have always had a core base of 30-40k fans, we got 30k a week in division 2. We dont have a huge amount of day trippers(although they are slowly but surely coming) it will take a generation of success before the stadium starts to fill out weeks in advance. Most of the games will sellout by the time the games come around but
    Manchester isnt the most affluent place in the world its hard to fork out 60pound a ticket months in advance.

If you check the attendances over the last few years most of the games if not them all sell out. There a variety of reasons you see empty seats on the tv and not all them are related to attendance. The odd thing though is there is a decent sizes waiting list for season tickets but the club have a quota on how many they sell each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Man Utd
    I think Man City will win the league again and quite comfortably. Liverpool will get top 4 and then after that I can’t call it. Could go any way. I do think that one of Klopp/Mourinho won’t be in the job come the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I think Man City will win the league again and quite comfortably. Liverpool will get top 4 and then after that I can’t call it. Could go any way. I do think that one of Klopp/Mourinho won’t be in the job come the start of next season.

I think the only way Klopp won't be in a job is if he wins the league and CL double and then decides to call it a day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement