Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea
    I wonder how many players City would be left with on the pitch every game if VAR was brought in and used for diving players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I wonder how many players City would be left with on the pitch every game if VAR was brought in and used for diving players.

Same for quite a number of teams in fairness. Fans complaining about other teams players diving usually doesn't take long to be hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Man Utd
    LOL at that interviewer; did you feel you might even have won it at the end (to the Wolves player)? Revisionist thinking at it's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea
    Wolves were great today, bit fortunate with the goal but deserved a point.

Chelsea
    Pep there goal was fortunate.

Asked by every reporter.

Pep your players seem to fall over very easy.

Asked by no reporter ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Fulham
    B17_D0133_34_F9_4_BB3_92_E8_DC84_FB524_EC9.jpg

latest?cb=20110327174736

Man Utd
    Pep there goal was fortunate.

Asked by every reporter.

Pep your players seem to fall over very easy.

Asked by no reporter ever.
    Pep was absolutely right. Their goal was very fortunate. As for reporters not asking him about players "falling over" (your words), I don't recall LVG or Mourinho being quizzed about Ashley Young having balance issues. Or Pochettino with Dele Alli at Spurs. But hey; you carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

blueser wrote:
    Pep was absolutely right. Their goal was very fortunate. As for reporters not asking him about players "falling over" (your words), I don't recall LVG or Mourinho being quizzed about Ashley Young having balance issues. But hey; you carry on.

Still doesnt excuse the diving though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man Utd
    West ham open the scoring v Arsenal

Unai "oh you are awful" Emery out!

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    Mr.H wrote: »
    Still doesnt excuse the diving though :)
    If you go back through this thread, you'll see I called out Aguero for his "falling over". Ironically, all the pundits in the studio reckon he was actually caught, but not enough for him to go over the way he did. Silva was caught, but he actually kicked the Wolves player's leg with his backswing. Again, not a penalty for me, but not a dive either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Man Utd
    Absolutely lovely goal to be fair to them. Lovely interplay between Arnautovich and Anderson and a nice finish across the keeper from the edge of the box.

I was kindof impressed by Anderson against Liverpool. Seemed to lack a bit of a final ball, but pace and directness can take you a long way in mid table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Arsenal vs West Ham will have more goals by the look of it.
    I'm baffled that Emery hasn't worked on this defence more, it's a total mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Man Utd
    Richarlison sent off for a 'headbutt'

Man Utd
    Richalison straight red for violent conduct which is what I think a head-the-head clash is.

Man Utd
    Richalison straight red for violent conduct which is what I think a head-the-head clash is.
    https://twitter.com/dixiessixty/status/1033365637324845061?s=19

• Advertisement

Man Utd
    blueser wrote: »

Camera looked far away. Looked more of a hair rub than head butt!

Chelsea
    He will get a 3 game ban for violent conduct anyway.

Man Utd
    Bournemouth bottlers. 2-0 down v 10

Town down to 10 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Camera looked far away. Looked more of a hair rub than head butt!

That's a ridiculous sending off TBH, certainty no impact from Richarlson at all, just 2 lads standing up to each other.

Man Utd
    He will get a 3 game ban for violent conduct anyway.

Probably
    That's a ridiculous sending off TBH, certainty no impact from Richarlson at all, just 2 lads standing up to each other.

Agree, but I think any head movement even if it's minimal like that usually means a sending off.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Bournemouth bottlers. 2-0 down v 10

Town down to 10 as well.

2 -2 Who are the bottlers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Man Utd
    West Ham are awful. Arsenal are slightly less awful but will probably get better.

I think Pellegrini could be gone by the end of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Chelsea
    Typical Leicester. Make my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

West Ham are awful. Arsenal are slightly less awful but will probably get better.

West Ham were terrible once Arnautovic went off. Before that they were dangerous going forward. Wilshere put in a performance to say that Arsenal were right to show him the door. Perez, Hernandez and Yarmalenko were all hopeless off the bench too. That's a lot of new signings.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Man Utd
    ERG89 wrote: »
    West Ham were terrible once Arnautovic went off. Before that they were dangerous going forward. Wilshere put in a performance to say that Arsenal were right to show him the door. Perez, Hernandez and Yarmalenko were all hopeless off the bench too. That's a lot of new signings.....

But they're just so awful in defence. The time and space that Wellbeck had for that third goal just summed them up. He's standing on the penalty spot and the ball is played behind him but he has the time and space to control it, turn 180 degrees and pick his spot and there's still no-one near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    I dont understand why they dont just push Bellerin into midfield and put in an actual defender RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont understand why they dont just push Bellerin into midfield and put in an actual defender RB.

They have leichsteiner and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Man Utd
    But they're just so awful in defence. The time and space that Wellbeck had for that third goal just summed them up. He's standing on the penalty spot and the ball is played behind him but he has the time and space to control it, turn 180 degrees and pick his spot and there's still no-one near him.

Pellegrini doesn't do defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea
    JPA wrote: »
    Pellegrini doesn't do defence.

That's grand when you have the quality of attacking player city had not west ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Liverpool
    Sick to death of all this Liverpool title talk, they have won 3 games against average sides. Give me a break they finished 4th last year, talk about media darlings. I can't wait until they fall flat on their faces.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Awwww bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

KingdomYid wrote:
    Sick to death of all this Liverpool title talk, they have won 3 games against average sides. Give me a break they finished 4th last year, talk about media darlings. I can't wait until they fall flat on their faces.

'IF' they fall flat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

KingdomYid wrote: »

You definitely sound like someone who's not worried about Liverpool doing well.

Liverpool
    Wardling wrote: »
    'IF' they fall flat....

They will and it will be glorious.

Liverpool
    You definitely sound like someone who's not worried about Liverpool doing well.

Not worried at all, just don't get the hype and all this presumption of a two horse race after 3 games. It's the media obviously to blame for it.

Man Utd
    Not worried at all, just don't get the hype and all this presumption of a two horse race after 3 games. It's the media obviously to blame for it.

One horse race.

City drew today but they'll stroll to the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Man Utd
    There’s something massively enjoyable about a Spurs fan talking about another team falling flat on their faces. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Man Utd

In fairness you would know all about that

Man Utd
    *shots fired :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Man Utd
    astradave wrote: »

OohBurn.gif

Liverpool

Exactly, I know all about and therefore hope Liverpool suffer the same :D

At the time everyone wanted Spurs to fail, especially those of a Liverpudlian disposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man Utd

Bang bang :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Burnley

If Liverpool are the second horse, history shows its infact a one horse race

Man Utd
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    One horse race.

City drew today but they'll stroll to the title.
    We won't stroll to the title. Last season was a freak. Only 14 points dropped in the whole season? qThat's impossible to repeat; we've already lost two points before the end of august. Throw in the fact that your mob have recruited well, and I can see it being a lot closer this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Wolves were very good against Man.City,deserved their draw.Excellent game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Man Utd

As a Liverpool fan, I'll just say that I expect LFC to finish 2nd this season. Why? We have a very good team. Why not first? Well, we've finished second in everything else in the last few years (CL, EL, PL etc) so I've become accustomed to disappointment. What I will say, though, is I have honestly yet to hear of a Liverpool fan who thinks we'll win it - maybe it's the same realism as myself. But it's members of the media and opposition fans who are building up Liverpool's chances. I've heard the term "our year" rattled out everywhere except the Liverpool thread (except when irony is the agenda!), so I think we're being pretty level headed.

It's a 25 point difference we have to bridge with City. Yes, I think that gap last year was a little "inflated" (ie. Liverpool easing up with a few games to go due to the CL final, and City doing everything they could to hit the 100 point mark after going out of the cups early), but I still think City will win the league by about 5 or 6 points. And I wouldn't call that Liverpool falling flat on their faces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Owen may have a reputation as a dull commentator, which is fair enough, even if I think being not a great commentator is not a big thing really yet sometimes is bizarrely met with such venom by a lot of football fans. It was fascinating hearing Owen talk about his career here, incredibly honest and insightful.

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1033447448797163520?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea
    I expect Liverpool to win the league. I don't know why people find this concept difficult to accept. They were off the pace last season because of their defensive deficiencies. A keeper that wasn't good enough, and at the start of that season a LB in Moreno that was a great asset to the opposition. They've rectified that this season by signing a top class keeper, and Robertson has gone on to become arguably the best LB in the division. The only doubt I have about them at the back is the partnership role to VVD, but Lovren was impressive at the World Cup and if he returns with that form they'll be okay long-term.

They've got the best player in the league and always look likely to score, and they got the better of City in the Champions League ties last season. The game where they lost heavily to City was largely due to the Mane red card.

It pains me as a United fan but I see this season as a two-way duel between Liverpool and City, and I'm inclined to favour Liverpool as I feel they will get the job done in the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Man Utd
    martyos121 wrote: »
    There’s something massively enjoyable about a Spurs fan talking about another team falling flat on their faces. :)

The enemy of my enemy, and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Man Utd
    I expect Liverpool to win the league. I don't know why people find this concept difficult to accept. They were off the pace last season because of their defensive deficiencies. A keeper that wasn't good enough, and at the start of that season a LB in Moreno that was a great asset to the opposition. They've rectified that this season by signing a top class keeper, and Robertson has gone on to become arguably the best LB in the division. The only doubt I have about them at the back is the partnership role to VVD, but Lovren was impressive at the World Cup and if he returns with that form they'll be okay long-term.

They've got the best player in the league and always look likely to score, and they got the better of City in the Champions League ties last season. The game where they lost heavily to City was largely due to the Mane red card.

It pains me as a United fan but I see this season as a two-way duel between Liverpool and City, and I'm inclined to favour Liverpool as I feel they will get the job done in the big games.

Think its going to be really close,I say City have an advantage with squad depth and quality which will be a factor later on and I think prob sway it in City Favour. With Liverpool such high intensity and not much cover for the front 3.If they can overcome that hurdle its going to be close.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement