Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grape vines

Options
  • 13-06-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

Hi. Has anyone here grown grape Vines outdoors in Ireland??

Yesterday I planted a "grape Vanessa" in the ground. It had been in a pot in a green house for 4/5 weeks prior so it already has 2 tiny little Bunches of grapes on it.
    Tought I'd make this thread to show how it progress

P.s anyone know why I'm getting a message saying low memory when I try to upload photos with the attach files option??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi. Has anyone here grown grape Vines outdoors in Ireland??

Yesterday I planted a "grape Vanessa" in the ground. It had been in a pot in a green house for 4/5 weeks prior so it already has 2 tiny little Bunches of grapes on it.
    Tought I'd make this thread to show how it progress

P.s anyone know why I'm getting a message saying low memory when I try to upload photos with the attach files option??

Got one at the edge of the fairly open polytunnel here (so almost outside). I had heard that a good way to grow them in Ireland is to have the roots outside of a greenhouse and to allow the vine grow into it. The theory explained to me was that the roots benefit from getting properly cold in the winter as it is in some ways the fact that our climate is usually so mild can be problematic to grape vines.

Have had great crops with the vine I planted back in 2013 and it is again showing signs of developing a good crop this year. I'm guessing that outdoors the temperatures might not get hot enough for quick grape ripening and prolonged damp conditions that we get often in summer months could allow mold develop on the grapes before they are ready to harvest.

It would be important to consider the grape variety as well as I've heard some are more cold tolerant than others. The production of fizzy wine in the UK is supposed to be very successful currently although that would be made with optimal varieties and they do have a more continental type climate. Doing well here with just an Aldi/Lidle bought Merlot vine but I think the edge of the polytunnel position is helping it do well. It's just starting to flower now so will post an updated image soon.

P.S. Sorry I can't help with the image attachment question as I have not used this method. I did paste in images before on threads and they were removed I think because the image resolution was too high. There is an explanation at the start of the garden photos thread on another way to add images but I found it a bit complicated and have not tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is how I deal with images, more or less.

- Take photo on smartphone
    - Upload as a post to imgur using the imgur app (Android).
    - Use the "copy link" option in the : menu when viewing the post on the app
    - Paste that URL into a boards.ie post

That approach won't embed the images but it's particularly useful for when you're taking a few.

Advertisement