Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Alarm

Options
  • 13-06-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Seems the Ring alarm system is ready to hit the market, be interesting to see if Amazon launch it this side of the pond.

For those down the ring route it could be a great addition.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, looks really interesting. Looking at the bits, but without seeing a review, it looks really good. I like the approach they have taken, maybe better then the Nest alarm.

Looks like it works with Z-wave. Actually most of the various sensors and accessories I recognise as existing Z-wave gear that you can already buy for other systems. I actually have that exact Dome siren myself already for SmartThings! And I've even seen the keypad before.

So it seems they have cobbled most of this together with standard off the shelf parts, rather then building their own, like Nest seem to have done. Nothing wrong at all with that, just an interesting approach.

What we will need to wait and see is how their software works with it all and if it is reliable.

BTW One thing I notice about all these new smart alarm systems from Ring, Nest, SmartThings, etc. is that they don't come with the external bell box that is so common in the UK/Ireland. It doesn't seem to be a common feature of US alarm systems in general like it is here. That is a really pity, I think bell boxes are really useful for deterring burglaries here and would prefer to have one then not.

In the US they seem to just use signs instead, yard signs and stickers on windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Notice that also about the z-wave as well so would make you wonder could cheaper sensors be got and added to it although, in fairness, there prices aren't crazy for a branded system. Would imagine that an external z-wave siren wouldn't be hard and pair with it.

Will keep an eye on for reviews in the coming weeks to see how it performs, how the app is etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

THE ALM wrote: »
    Would imagine that an external z-wave siren wouldn't be hard and pair with it.

There are actually almost non!

I've looked into this for SmartThings. There are very few outdoor waterproof sirens boxes for z-wave for the UK market!

There is one, a solar one, but it costs about €250!

Some folk have hacked (as in physically, with soldering, etc.) various other boxes to work with it.

BTW Remember z-wave uses different frequencies in different countries. So one that works in the US or Asia might not work here. It needs to support 868Mhz to work here.

Hopefully this will improve in time, but definitely poor at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Wouldn't have though it so difficult to get an outdoor siren but there you go.

Pricey for a siren alright, see one on Alibaba for $85 but would be taking a gamble on that.

Uhhh.. That is new and interesting!

It says Receive Frequency: 868.42MHz/865.2MHz/869.0MHz/908.42MHz/921.42MHz, so europe covered there by 868Mhz, so could work here.

I don't see any mention of it on the SmartThings forum. But could be worth a gamble, but definitely a gamble.

Having said that Ring would need to add support in their software, so we will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

You could get an alarm bell box for €70 or so and wire it to a smart switch for activaton, maybe through IFTTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

You could get an alarm bell box for €70 or so and wire it to a smart switch for activaton, maybe through IFTTT.

Hell of an shaky system as a security system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

anyone see any issues with buying the US version Ring Alarm fromAmazon,
    as i dont see any ETA's for the EU version and keen to get it setup as i have some ring cameras already.

Will need plug adapter for the HUB and the Cellular backup wont work but apart from everything else is either wireless with batteries or keypad charged with micro USB.

thoughts?

Cheers
    SW

Yes, the new Ring Alarm looks really interesting. I was going to write up more on it, having read some reviews.

One issue you may have though. They use Z-wave for their sensors. Z-wave uses different radio frequencies in the EU then it uses in the US. Now it maybe be the case that the hub and sensors can swap between the US and EU frequencies. But there would be no guarantee of that and you probably wouldn't know before buying.

The problem with just using the US frequencies would be that strictly speaking you would be breaking the law, that you would likely receive interference and sensors or other z-wave devices you buy here later may not work with it.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend buying from the US.

There are a lot of new interesting alarm systems coming out in the US from Amazon Ring, Google Nest, Samsung ADT SmartThings, but I wouldn't recommend buying any of them until these companies bring out EU specific versions. Hopefully they will come soon and I highly suspect they will.

So this has gone on sale in the US now and not many reviews yet, but the ones that have come out look interesting.

What is really impressive besides the low cost, is the range of radios in it. It supports:

- Latest Z-wave spec including 128bit AES ebcryption
    - Zigbee
    - Wifi both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
    - Bluetooth
    - 4G LTE
    - Ethernet

Impressive. While they haven't done it yet, the above specs lead me to think that Amazon may turn this into a competitor with Samsung SmartThings. Not just an alarm system, but the heart of a Home Automation system. That is the only reason they would include Zigbee, Zigbee isn't needed for a security system.

It will be interesting to watch how this develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Digging up 6 month old post here but...

If anyone is interested I got a Ring Alarm from the US Amazon store delivered via addresspal.

I got a package deal for the alarm, 1 keypad, 2 motion sensors, 3 entry sensors and a zigbee extender. All for $215 (about €190 plus addresspal delivery).

All working well. Obviously the US monitoring doesn't work, but the notifications work fine for self-monitoring.

Would recommend it for someone who wants a mega-cheap self monitored alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What made you try it?
    Do you have any other Ring devices before the alarm?

Davy wrote: »
    What made you try it?
    Do you have any other Ring devices before the alarm?

Yep, I have the Ring Pro for about 2 years.

What made me try it? Cost to be honest. I just moved into a new house and didn't want to spend 1k on an alarm system that was going to be out of date in a couple of years.

Sorry to be a bit of a bummer. I'm sure it works, but it uses Z-wave for the sensors, so one bought in the US will be using the US 900MHz frequency, which would make it illegal to use in Europe and might run into interference issues which I'd worry about in particular for a home security product that you would want to be reliable.

Unless their is an option somewhere in the settings to set it to Europe or 868Mhz frequency.

I don't think I'd recommend folks buy one from the US, wait until they officially launch it in the UK.

Having said that, I'd still love to hear how it works out atgate, it looks like a nice system.

bk wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit of a bummer. I'm sure it works, but it uses Z-wave for the sensors, so one bought in the US will be using the US 900MHz frequency, which would make it illegal to use in Europe and might run into interference issues which I'd worry about in particular for a home security product that you would want to be reliable.

Unless their is an option somewhere in the settings to set it to Europe or 868Mhz frequency.

I don't think I'd recommend folks buy one from the US, wait until they officially launch it in the UK.

Having said that, I'd still love to hear how it works out atgate, it looks like a nice system.

Oops. Doesn't seem to be a frequency toggle, but then again I can't imagine they'd put a toggle in till they release it this side of the world. Maybe something will appear on release.

Seems to be connecting well so far. Maybe I'll hold off getting more sensors.

Hopefully when the police come to get me they'll set the alarm off ;)

I once bought a Philips Hue bulb in the US, I totally forgot, different fitting and more importantly different voltage!! And the worst thing about it, I knew that, just totally forgot where in the world I was while in the store, probably jetlag, dohhh...

Though it was in a pack with a dimmer switch, which is what I was looking for and worked, so not a total lose :)

Advertisement