Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale Agreed on house, notice to our Agent

Options
  • 13-06-2018 5:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can answer.

We've recently gone Sale Agreed on a house which we'd like to move into at the earliest. Also, we're currently on a Part 4 tenancy and are required to give 6 weeks notice for the apartment we're renting.

Ideally, we'd like as little crossover as possible, so we're not effectively paying for 2 places at once. However, we're still not sure when we're likely to sign contracts, get keys etc. so we can't give notice just yet.

Is it possible to re-assign the lease after giving notice while on a Part 4? Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

No need to reassign the tenancy. Don’t give notice until contracts have been exchanged and a closing date agreed. Even then it might not happen on that date. Our closing date got pushed out a week and the house was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Closing dates get routinely pushed, furthermore at this stage it's even money on whether the sale will even complete. Keep looking and don't give anyone notice yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Talk to the agent if they are decent they will be flexible. It’s not hard to fill units these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

aloooof wrote: »

Is it possible to re-assign the lease after giving notice while on a Part 4? Any advice much appreciated!

It is possible to assign the tenancy after giving notice, but the new tenant is stuck with the notice and will have to vacate so it is rather pointless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Cheers for replies everyone. I think it definitely makes most sense not to give notice until contracts are signed and we have a closing date agreed.

Even if there is some crossover, so be it. I'd rather that than giving notice too soon, the house falling through and being stuck looking for somewhere new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Cheers for replies everyone. I think it definitely makes most sense not to give notice until contracts are signed and we have a closing date agreed.

Even if there is some crossover, so be it. I'd rather that than giving notice too soon, the house falling through and being stuck looking for somewhere new.

What you can do, is tell your landlord you may be moving and get agreement that you can give a shorter notice period than is provided for by law. Once the landlord is aware of your general intentions and has a timeframe they are much less likely to hold you to the strict letter of your lease agreement or the law

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

What you can do, is tell your landlord you may be moving and get agreement that you can give a shorter notice period than is provided for by law. Once the landlord is aware of your general intentions and has a timeframe they are much less likely to hold you to the strict letter of your lease agreement or the law

This is what we did with out LL she was very flexible. Technically we had to give several months notice but she was happy to accept a months notice. We made sure to keep her in the loop during the process. Thankfully it all worked out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

We're in the same position at the moment and won't be giving notice till we get the keys to our house. Must check but I think we only need to give a month's notice and will need some crossover anyway as the house will need flooring etc after we get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We've recently gone Sale Agreed on a house which we'd like to move into at the earliest.
    Sale agreed means jack sh|t in the scheme of things.

Your survey could find that the house has 28 Indian skeletons buried under the stairs and a crack the length of Ireland running along the wall. If you already gave notice to the landlord, you may feel pressurized to continue with the purchase.

Someone could gazump you, and get the contracts signed a week before you are meant to move out of the house. You'd end up having to put all your stuff in storage, and renting somewhere else.

Waiting until you get the keys may end up costing you money, but not waiting for the keys may cost you a lot more.
    we have a closing date agreed
    Do a search here, and you'll come across a few people whose closing date has come and gone, but the seller hasn't moved out for whatever reason. Here's an example.

=-=

Until you get the keys, don't give notice.

When you get the keys, give notice. Before you move in, consider having the chimney cleaned, boiler serviced, plumbing checked, any wiring done, walls painted, and get the place deep-cleaned, so when you do move in, you don't need to be moving your stuff around getting the small odd-jobs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

Don't give notice yet! I waited 3 months, gave notice of 2 months and now I have to move back with my parents for a few weeks. Closing date has come and gone and another has been agreed but I still have a gap. Don't worry about overlap as said above you'll want a few jobs done before you move in anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement