Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restaurant quarter for Swords Pavilions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

sdanseo wrote: »
    The whole exterior is in dire need of a revamp. The traffic system lends itself by poor design to delays with two pedestrian priority crossings, a roundabout, two right turns into car parks which are almost always full and not to mention two lanes which are both too narrow and not enough space to merge properly with traffic coming in from the R132. An of course the first entrace into car park C is always closed / coned off.

The biggest pet peeve though has to be the countless selfish bástards who block the roundabout waiting in a queue for the small car park B in front of the main door. That carpark should be demolished and the tyres of everyone who does this should be slashed and stuck on spikes as a reminder to others how not to behave in public. This probably accounts for a significant proportion of the total use of my car's horn.

100%

I keep meaning to conduct a survey with the people who queue to get into that car park.

I genuinely want to know why they do it. It's not faster. It's not much nearer.

I don't for a second believe that they all have physical limitations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I reckon they're all drivers who can't do a hill start so they're terrified of the multi storey car park ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Herd mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I've always wondered why they cone that entrance to car park C off? Anyone coming in via the slip road off the R132 could easily go and park in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

100%
    I don't for a second believe that they all have physical limitations.

I believe quite a few have mental limitations however!

• Advertisement

Homer wrote: »
    I believe quite a few have mental limitations however!

100% of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

cbreeze wrote: »
    Homer wrote: »
    How people eat that tripe they try pass off as a breakfast is beyond me! It’s like something from 20 years ago. Completely out of date.

Without looking at the previous post I just knew that this was about the Kylemore.  Only thing going for it is they have plenty of space.  I went in the other day had a look at the hot food and walked right out again.
    Agreed! Kylemore is stuck in a 1980s timewarp and assumes everyone still just eats nothing but all day breakfasts (fine if done well but awful if stuck under a heat lamp all day) and a coffee range that just includes coffee with or without milk.  No wonder all their other cafes have shut down. Cork, Stephens Green and O'Connell St etc.   A factory canteen would serve better quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Just reading this thread, I see some mentions of Five Guys, which I don't know at all, but the name stuck in my head since reading this a few weeks ago:

Catherine Cleary: My worst ever meal as a restaurant reviewer
    What did Dublin do to deserve this burger joint that gives the gag reflex a workout?

:o Hope they just had a bad day ...

While I think all new restaurants are to be welcomed, I'd prefer to see some of them out and about the Main st. rather than all in the Pavilions.

plodder wrote: »
    Just reading this thread, I see some mentions of Five Guys, which I don't know at all, but the name stuck in my head since reading this a few weeks ago:

Catherine Cleary: My worst ever meal as a restaurant reviewer

:o Hope they just had a bad day ...

While I think all new restaurants are to be welcomed, I'd prefer to see some of them out and about the Main st. rather than all in the Pavilions.

Five Guys are scandalously nice IMO

Expensive though - 15 euro ish for a burger, small fries and a drink. (the drink is refillable as much as you like though)

The chip portions are MASSIVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Slightly OT, but after visiting today I noticed how incredibly outdated the car parking system is in the centre car park. Only 2 ticket machines at the main entrance that only accept cash. Outdated neon signs also for space availability.
    Considering Pavilions is owned by the same people as Dundrum tc with such a modern car parking system it’s surprising.
    Granted parking is free for 2 hours in Pavilions, it’s still pretty bad

It's ridiculous - it's such a waste of land.

Another centre with multi story parking could be added where all that surface parking is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

lawred2 wrote: »

Another centre with multi story parking could be added where all that surface parking is..
    An entrance direct into the carpark from the bypass, which doesn't just dump traffic onto the same entrance road from the town side, would be useful, and also a few more pay machines. I think the centre itself is a nice size though. It's got everything I'd want and more.

plodder wrote: »

An entrance direct into the carpark from the bypass, which doesn't just dump traffic onto the same entrance road from the town side, would be useful, and also a few more pay machines. I think the centre itself is a nice size though. It's got everything I'd want and more.

Sorry I didn't mean that they should add another shopping center... Just that there is that much badly used wasted space..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Plan was to build a huge extension on the car park land a few years back, which would’ve linked the centre to the metro, but it was shelved. Probably explains the state of the car-park and why they have no interest in changing it.

Surprised that they haven’t really started construction on this. If they plan to open before Christmas they’re not leaving a lot of time, all things considered!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, the work is all internal. Both shops are closed, so I presume activity is happening behind the hoardings.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well, the work is all internal. Both shops are closed, so I presume activity is happening behind the hoardings.

I thinks it’s going upstairs, above those shops that are closed. Unless they’re using the downstairs too

tobsey wrote: »
    I thinks it’s going upstairs, above those shops that are closed. Unless they’re using the downstairs too

Yep the work going on now is for JD sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Starbucks opening another cafe in old H2 Clothing unit in Swords Central section according to today's Irish Times. Holland & Barrett and The Works also opening nearby.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Starbucks opening another cafe in old H2 Clothing unit in Swords Central section according to today's Irish Times. Holland & Barrett and The Works also opening nearby.

Not the best tenant mix down there but glad to see it’s on the way to full occupancy. I don’t think it’s ever been at full occupancy since opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I don't know what it is but I always just think its cold and dreary down that end.

Also the big door that leads out onto main street beside the Garda station was broken for about 5 years. One sliding door would't open so they just left a wet floor sign in front of it.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but I always just think its cold and dreary down that end.

Also the big door that leads out onto main street beside the Garda station was broken for about 5 years. One sliding door would't open so they just left a wet floor sign in front of it.

it's horrible

it's horrible
    afaik that building has been in receivership for a number of years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

A second Starbucks, ffs!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

ongarboy wrote: »

I wonder did Starbucks bother to get planning permission this time.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    A second Starbucks, ffs!

Starbucks.png

Noticed “Flying Tiger” is opening again, this time in the unit previously occupied by Gerard. Crazy amount of shop relocations in the Pavilions I think Gerard moved at least 4 times in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Five Guys are scandalously nice IMO

Expensive though - 15 euro ish for a burger, small fries and a drink. (the drink is refillable as much as you like though)

The chip portions are MASSIVE.

It's very overpriced for what they offer, you do get a huge amount of very salty chips but other places like wowburger have much nicer burgers and milkshakes and about 30% cheaper.

Superdry is opening in the unit previously occupied by JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Went into GBK last week for my daughter’s birthday. What a mistake, it was atrocious. Kids got about 6 chips each, I got Rosemary fries, which was supposed to be chips with rosemary salt. All that was on them was a pile of over cooked rosemary bits that I had to shake off the chips. The burger was tasteless and the bun on my wife’s burger was like it had just been defrosted and was so cold. Added to that they don’t even take your order, you have to fill out this order form and bring it up to the counter and then you pay for the food in advance. It is no wonder the place was completely empty. Never again will I set foot through their doors.

• Advertisement

Went into GBK last week for my daughter’s birthday. What a mistake, it was atrocious. Kids got about 6 chips each, I got Rosemary fries, which was supposed to be chips with rosemary salt. All that was on them was a pile of over cooked rosemary bits that I had to shake off the chips. The burger was tasteless and the bun on my wife’s burger was like it had just been defrosted and was so cold. Added to that they don’t even take your order, you have to fill out this order form and bring it up to the counter and then you pay for the food in advance. It is no wonder the place was completely empty. Never again will I set foot through their doors.

Hard to believe that that place is still open.. last time we were in there it was near empty but still took about 40 minutes to serve us.

Advertisement