Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restaurant quarter for Swords Pavilions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My one experience in Five Guys wasn't marvellous but when it opens in the Pavilions, they'll probably do a lot of damage to GBK.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Went into GBK last week for my daughter’s birthday. What a mistake, it was atrocious. Kids got about 6 chips each, I got Rosemary fries, which was supposed to be chips with rosemary salt. All that was on them was a pile of over cooked rosemary bits that I had to shake off the chips. The burger was tasteless and the bun on my wife’s burger was like it had just been defrosted and was so cold. Added to that they don’t even take your order, you have to fill out this order form and bring it up to the counter and then you pay for the food in advance. It is no wonder the place was completely empty. Never again will I set foot through their doors.

That's disappointing to hear. Back in the early days with the current girlfriend, we used to go there for food and then upstairs for a movie. I'd say I was in there at least 10 times and it never really disappointed me once. It was fine for a 'burger and a movie' outing.

That was in the days before Bunsen, Five Guys and a whole host of other (better) places opened around Dublin. I honestly haven't set foot in GBK in at least 5 years. And it wasn't even a conscious decision to stop going, we just forgot about it. Reading about it here is actually the first I've thought about it in ages.

What you describe sounds like a place on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

You would really think that GBK would be pulling out all the stops to give customers a memorable meal or at least a value meal with 5 Guys about to open beside them! The mind boggles!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think Ruby's did a lot of damage to GBK, I'm surprised they're still there at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've never succeeded in eating in Rubys - they always wanted me to wait and (think) they don't take reservations. There'll always be somewhere else that won't have a queue...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think Ruby's did a lot of damage to GBK, I'm surprised they're still there at all.

for me - of the two - TGI Friday's in Airside does better food anyway and getting seated is never a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd be a big fan of Ruby's but knowing there'll be a wait almost every time you go there is off putting and means I don't even bother a lot of the time. It doesn't seem to be doing them any harm though, it seems like it's always busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Shred wrote: »
    I'd be a big fan of Ruby's but knowing there'll be a wait almost every time you go there is off putting and means I don't even bother a lot of the time. It doesn't seem to be doing them any harm though, it seems like it's always busy.

You can call them an hour before and book, or drop in before you do some shopping and put your name down.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Went into GBK last week for my daughter’s birthday. What a mistake, it was atrocious. Kids got about 6 chips each, I got Rosemary fries, which was supposed to be chips with rosemary salt. All that was on them was a pile of over cooked rosemary bits that I had to shake off the chips. The burger was tasteless and the bun on my wife’s burger was like it had just been defrosted and was so cold. Added to that they don’t even take your order, you have to fill out this order form and bring it up to the counter and then you pay for the food in advance. It is no wonder the place was completely empty. Never again will I set foot through their doors.

That's disappointing to hear, haven't been to GBK in ages but used to love the burgers there and always had a good meal and service. Sounds like a huge drop in standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

shane6977 wrote: »
    That's disappointing to hear, haven't been to GBK in ages but used to love the burgers there and always had a good meal and service. Sounds like a huge drop in standards.

Aye doing away with table service is poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

shane6977 wrote: »

Can’t see it lasting unfortunately. Very poor location in the centre and nothing very appealing about it anymore.

You can call them an hour before and book, or drop in before you do some shopping and put your name down.

Yeah we've certainly dropped in to put a name down on on our way shopping once or twice, I thought they only take phone bookings for parties of 6+ though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'm not a fan of the food in Ruby's will pop in the odd time before the cinema for a starter and a cocktail at the bar, but wouldn't go for dinner myself.

All change in Pavilions recently with River Island and JD expanding. Shame the ‘phase 3’ extension never happened as demand for space is obviously there. Hopefully even a scaled back version will be built in the near future.

Sort of relevant to the current discussion.. Was in London last weekend working and went to Five Guys for a quick bite to eat as we were starving after a long day and didn't fancy waiting for a typical sit down meal.

2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 cokes ..... £32.40 :eek:
    Its not a bad burger in fairness but for that price you'd get a nice early bird in some places for 2 courses and a glass of wine!

Link Bridge is going in now... https://ibb.co/eLQqpK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's on a par with Nandos, TGI's or Eddie's at times for prices... Very excited about Five Guys.

You can almost always save by getting just the one set of fries... The portions are huge! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Homer wrote: »
    Sort of relevant to the current discussion.. Was in London last weekend working and went to Five Guys for a quick bite to eat as we were starving after a long day and didn't fancy waiting for a typical sit down meal.

2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 cokes ..... £32.40 :eek:
    Its not a bad burger in fairness but for that price you'd get a nice early bird in some places for 2 courses and a glass of wine!
    Which London store was that? Myself and Mrs Sleepy visited the one in Kings Cross a couple of years ago and it was over £40 for the same order!

Five Guys isn't cheap but it's worth it for an occasional treat imo, we always just get one portion of fries between us as they give a ridiculous amount.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Which London store was that? Myself and Mrs Sleepy visited the one in Kings Cross a couple of years ago and it was over £40 for the same order!

Wimbledon. Also interesting to see the Uber Eats service in full flight over in London. Every takeaway and/or restaurant seemed to have a fleet of mopeds pulling up outside collecting orders for delivery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The uber driving service is great over there too.

Can’t see it lasting unfortunately. Very poor location in the centre and nothing very appealing about it anymore.

It’s gone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

When did it close?

When did it close?

Last day of trading today!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Won't be missed.

Like the Pavilions but hate all the kiosks filling ever last bit of floor space possible, especially around Christmas time.
    As much as it’s great that the centre is fully occupied, there comes a stage where it’s too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed! Kylemore is stuck in a 1980s timewarp and assumes everyone still just eats nothing but all day breakfasts (fine if done well but awful if stuck under a heat lamp all day) and a coffee range that just includes coffee with or without milk.  No wonder all their other cafes have shut down. Cork, Stephens Green and O'Connell St etc.   A factory canteen would serve better quality food.
    Just noticed that planning was granted to the owners of Kylemore to revamp and replace Kylemore with three new restaurants in 2017.

“Refurbishment of Unit F17 at Pavilions Shopping Centre. The works will involve the re-fit of the unit to include three outlets: Noah & Co., Soma Burger Co and Leopold.”

This is presumably why they objected to the new development especially since they planned a burger joint!

Lets just be thankful that Kylemore is going! Goodbye 1980's manky cooked breakfasts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

Just noticed that planning was granted to the owners of Kylemore to revamp and replace Kylemore with three new restaurants in 2017.

“Refurbishment of Unit F17 at Pavilions Shopping Centre. The works will involve the re-fit of the unit to include three outlets: Noah & Co., Soma Burger Co and Leopold.”

This is presumably why they objected to the new development especially since they planned a burger joint!

Soma is absolute quality! They replaced kylemore on o'connell street also . excellent burgers

Advertisement