Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant identity questions.

Options
  • 13-06-2018 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

Got another few plants in the garden that I'm not sure of the name of and some help identifying them would be appreciated.

There is this pink flower shrub that I got from the neighbor. This is one I divided from the main plant this winter.

There are these yellow flowered bulbs I bought from Aldi or Lidl about three years back but have lost the name of.

There are these mixed colour flowers I grew from a packet of mixed seeds in a box designed to simply shake and rake.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Not an expert by any means but i think:

1. Pink Buddleia
    2. Allium moly (golden garlic)
    3. Nigella (love-in-a-mist)

But am open to correction! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

The yellow bulbs are possibly Sparaxis.
    The seeds look like a double cosmos.

1. Pink Buddleia

I'd say you're right on two and three, one is more likely a spiraea of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

1. Pink Buddleia

Thanks. I think your right about 2 and 3 being allium moly and nigella. The photos online definitely match what I have in the garden.

I've got a few varieties of buddleia and the shrub in the photo looks a bit different so I still think 1 is something else. They are similar but none of the buddleia I have are flowering yet and the leaf on the buddleia is a bit more robust and stays on the plant longer. The older stems of the buddleia also get thicker and more woody where the shrub in link 1 tends to have more numerous thinner stems even as it gets older.

I'd say you're right on two and three, one is more likely a spiraea of some sort.

Thanks!

Just checked images of spirea and the one in link 1 seems to match spirea billardii.

• Advertisement

No probs, one out of three ain't bad! There are some lovely spiraeas , amongst others, that have been consigned to history and old gardens by the 'must look great in the pot' generation that we've all become.

Lovely garden btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Lads and Lassies,
    Any idea what species is this?

It's an extremely fast and vigorous grower.

Alas it's mares tail..do a search on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alas it's mares tail..do a search on here.

Latest* thread

How to kill Mare's Tail
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057738504

(* actually I think there was a thread newer than that one, but I can't find it)

Ah balls.
    Thanks Standard and Lumen.

Based on reading through other threads here, I should do the following:
    I mixed two selective herbicides last year and it worked a treat with one application. MCPA amd Grazon90, in 15l knapsack.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Based on reading through other threads here, I should do the following:
    I mixed two selective herbicides last year and it worked a treat with one application. MCPA amd Grazon90, in 15l knapsack.
    Based on my experience, that would be excessive. Roundup worked fine.

Lumen wrote: »
    Based on my experience, that would be excessive. Roundup worked fine.

I have Gallup; would that work?
    And if I have to use Roundup, do I need Roundup biactive?
    And do I have to use the pure concentration or a certain mix?

Thanks!

Thanks!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057202431

Depends on how you're applying. If sprayed it needs to be diluted according to instructions.

I only used it neat because I was painting each plant directly so I could prevent any collateral damage to surrounding plants.

I used every last drop, filled the paint can with water and sprinkled that on the grassy parts of the drive. And then filled again and sprinkled again.

Even the grass from the second dilution is now dead, so it's powerful stuff.

Thanks!

I reckon just improving drainage and hand picking could reduce the amount of mare's tail in your garden adequately in most situations without resorting to chemicals to kill most of your plant cover. Mare's tail seems to come back after most chemical treatments anyway from what I have read since a good volume of the plant is protected in the underground root structures and it spreads easily in damp conditions through wind spread spores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Yeah, the thought of gallons of chemicals in response to horse tail kind of freaks me out. I can't really get the idea behind these chemicals. When I see banks and vergs of brown and yellow weeds outside peoples houses where they have sprayed something, I have to wonder how they find that more appealing than a tangled bank or verge of vibrant green weeds. Kind of twists my head.
    My garden is infested with horsetail. But I have made a kind of peace with it. It is one of the oldest plants of earth, extraordinarily resilient, so in a way there is a beauty and nobility to it. You can make a strong infusion of it and it is good as a hair rinse to stop falling hair. In biodynamic farming you can steep it in barrels and make a ''tea'' to pour on other plants to give them silica, I have even heard that spraying with this tea compensates for shady conditions. Anyways what I do is pick it, weed it out, which takes a few minutes every day, because yes, it grows like the blazes and there's always more of it, but it is very easy to pick and isolate and not aggravating to the skin. And at the same time I know that if I was gone from my garden for a season the horse tail would take over and all my efforts besides trees would be swallowed. There's something metaphysical though in this realisation. I work with it. That's nature! :D

Malayalam wrote: »
    Anyways what I do is pick it, weed it out, which takes a few minutes every day
    I admire your work ethic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Lumen wrote: »
    I admire your work ethic. :)

Haha :) maybe I have too little else to be doing. I only weed it out of the beds, everywhere else it feels the wrath of my strimmer despite its elder age and nobility.

Advertisement