Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Electric fence question

Options
  • 13-06-2018 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

We have an elephant super m45 electric fence. We have it since god was a child. It has served us well but Im not sure its able to cope with it hitting scrub etc. Ive a fair bit of fencing done the last few years and we are losing power all the time so Im looking for opinions for a new one. Looking for 1 that would do a 100 acres approx. I dont know much about them but whats the story with joules etc. any advice or opinions are welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

gerryirl wrote: »
    We have an elephant super m45 electric fence. We have it since god was a child. It has served us well but Im not sure its able to cope with it hitting scrub etc. Ive a fair bit of fencing done the last few years and we are losing power all the time so Im looking for opinions for a new one. Looking for 1 that would do a 100 acres approx. I dont know much about them but whats the story with joules etc. any advice or opinions are welcome

Thanks

Got one from Donedeal from polish guy in cork. 10joules output 180euro. Massive crack from it, couldn't justify the 5~600 gallagher or pel fencers. Happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

i got a solar fence last year for a different bit of ground. Serious crack from it but I dont know how it would fair out with vegetation etc. Whats the joules about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'll get an idea of the joules (stored energy) required and approx area of land it will cover from here;
    https://www.gallagherireland.com/energizers.aspx?mktcatid=427

A 100 acres will require about 10 Joules going by the above.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

what are cheetah electric fencers like, made in Carlow IIRC, just as pricy as Gallagher however

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Cheetah are excellent in my experience with good after sales support.

• Advertisement

I cant fault the elephant. My father reckons is 30 odd years old. I was onto Elephant about it and they sent me on the details power of it etc. I think what has happened is each year there is bits added here and there and unless you can fully control the vegetation you ll lose power bit by bit. So I have 2 options either control the vegetation fully or buy bigger. An elephant m115 is near €700 euro. I control vegetation as good as I can but Im working too so getting time to do everything is becoming a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Earthing system checked?

49801 wrote: »
    Earthing system checked?

yes put in 2 new bars an all. I worked it our from google maps measuring it. Ive up on 6 miles of fencing. Thats fine with no vegetation but with vegetation the limit for the fence I have is 5 miles. So Ill have to get out in the coming days with the chainsaw and a few cans of round up and grazon 90

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Thanks

Only advice I could add is that if you want one for 100 acres, get one to do 200 or more. You'll never regret it as you can always add on bits of fencing if needed and will also be more powerful when you do have the inevitable grass/briars etc onto wire.

yes put in 2 new bars an all. I worked it our from google maps measuring it. Ive up on 6 miles of fencing. Thats fine with no vegetation but with vegetation the limit for the fence I have is 5 miles. So Ill have to get out in the coming days with the chainsaw and a few cans of round up and grazon 90

Personally I’d stick with the grazon. Roundup creates great opportunities for weeds later which means you have to regularly reapply.

• Advertisement

What does the grazon kill. Is it briers and what else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is the earth dry?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is the earth dry?

The best “earth” for any fencer unit is,where possible,is the steel rsj pole of a shed!
    As all poles are inter connected by the steel trusses and corrugated steel roof, if you have say 8 girders, then you have 8 earth bars!
    Now for dry stock, that’s a solution, but I wouldn’t use a milking parlour or a dairy as a fencer earth, as you could get problems with earth leakage!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

invicta wrote: »
    The best “earth” for any fencer unit is,where possible,is the steel rsj pole of a shed!
    As all poles are inter connected by the steel trusses and corrugated steel roof, if you have say 8 girders, then you have 8 earth bars!
    Now for dry stock, that’s a solution, but I wouldn’t use a milking parlour or a dairy as a fencer earth, as you could get problems with earth leakage!

I did that and yeah you’re right great earth job, but I was told it shouldn’t be done while cattle in the shed,

Very dangerous to use the metal in a shed as the earth of a fencer. The normal funtion of an earth is to get rid of stray eletricity. It's completely different from the function of an earth in a fencer, which is to create a conductive loop to shock animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Very dangerous to use the metal in a shed as the earth of a fencer. The normal funtion of an earth is to get rid of stray eletricity. It's completely different from the function of an earth in a fencer, which is to create a conductive loop to shock animals.

Wouldn’t 2 or 3 earth bars driven outside the shed be the same thing? i.e. the conductive loop is going straight to earth???

Wouldn’t 2 or 3 earth bars driven outside the shed be the same thing? i.e. the conductive loop is going straight to earth???

No, a normal earth is only there for an emergency, should something go wrong. It conducts the 230V to ground.
    In a fencer, the output voltage is about 30,000V. When an animal touches the fence, the current from that voltage goes back through the metal in the shed to get back to the fencer. Not good or safe practice. That's why they even recomend going a distance away from the shed when placing the fence earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not recommended practice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Learning quite a bit here - we’re operatinh with half a dozen battery fencers. If those fencers do an area of 5-6 miles then at 180 euro they’re well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Not recommended practice at all.

Agreed, earth bars are supposed to go into damp clay if possible, there's not much damp clay in the foundations of sheds nowadays unless one of the uprights hit the subsoil.
    The Electrician that wired my shed connected all the girders to an independent earth outside the shed, it'd be a great earth for a fence now alright but he recommended not to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

OP do you need to have all your fence connected all of the time?
    When designing my fences I try to have it so that I can disconnect fields or areas if there is no animals in them.

Just about to head down the road to use a hedge strimmer to clear briers and grass from a fence. Is there a recommended fence that would save me this heartache every turn round? Something like 40-60 acres 5-6 fields including paddocks and perimeters

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Just about to head down the road to use a hedge strimmer to clear briers and grass from a fence. Is there a recommended fence that would save me this heartache every turn round? Something like 40-60 acres 5-6 fields including paddocks and perimeters

Grazon90 can be used to address weed infestation and does not kill grass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

it's a pity there isn't more regulation re fencers, be it for cross compliance or QA

earthing off a shed is a big NO NO

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

orm0nd wrote: »
    it's a pity there isn't more regulation re fencers, be it for cross compliance or QA

That’s one thing we don’t need. Regulation is needed in industry and farming but in Ireland it is being used as a means of control rather than what it should be for.

I have direct experience in my day job of a system being put in place to stop money being mis spent now costing multiples of what may have been mis spent. Normal oversight would have been fine but now we have a whole new raft of bureaucracy and it’s really just to justify their own jobs imo.

But yes the shed is a really bad idea. Just do it the recommended way and don’t try to reinvent the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 21,505 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The, top of the range, fencers claim to burn off most vegetation. But they are, very pricey.

Water John wrote: »
    The, top of the range, fencers claim to burn off most vegetation. But they are, very pricey.
    I'd say they use a lot more electricity doing so.

Just back up the road now it’s never simple! So grazon90 would be a better idea than a super fencer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just back up the road now it’s never simple! So grazon90 would be a better idea than a super fencer!

Grazon 90 will kill every thing except the grass and the cattle/sheep should eat the grass and bushes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No matter what fencer you need to keep the line relatively clean.

Advertisement