Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Electric fence question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Muckit wrote: »
    No matter what fencer you need to keep the line relatively clean.

Agreed, it was grand when it used to be allowed to hire a flail to go between the wire and the ditch in midsummer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aye I was hoping someone might have an easy way out fir me! I suppose it’s obly a few hours every couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Over a few years, you wouldn't be to long getting rid of the price of a better fencer in Grazon bottles. Equally, you really can't completely ignore vegetation. Best bet is a bit of balance overal, a reasonable fencer, - for me a "Super cheetah" is sufficient, good earths, well strained high tensile wire, minimal use of poly or temporary metal posts, a small bit of grazon here and there and a bit of pruning. If there are no major earth faults, a reasonable fencer will burn off the tips of vegetation that touch it. Certainly the €800 fencers will burn it off better, and you or the poor auld dog as well shoud you happen to touch it!

IMO always leave the fencer on so that it can keep ahead of the vegetation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Aye I was hoping someone might have an easy way out fir me! I suppose it’s obly a few hours every couple of weeks

If you give it a good strim now that's it for the season. An ordinary hand hedge clippers handy then to get the odd stray briar every now and then. Do them as fast as you'll walk.

And the flail every 5-6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peterofthebr

Maybe wrong chat but I've setup a Battery Fencer Cheetah Cub it's a single stand running a long distance 800m+ nothing touching the wire.

Should I earth it at the end of the line? The Energiser came with about 1ft earth for beside the device but wonder what would happen if I stick another earth near the furthers point(would it give a stronger jolt?) . The fense tester says its got a strong charge at the end already, Ive beef cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

So your going to run an insulated wire 800m to a second earth🤔

that not how the fencer works,leave it as is

No just was thinking of rod in da ground and insulated wire from wire to rod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

well that is a complete no no as it will only earth the shock

OK thanks for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

Put in a longer earth rod at the energiser if you want to improve the earthing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

and/or a second earth rod about 3 metres from the first and bonded with insulated wire and connections sealed with denso tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

The Cheetah Cub energizer is a 0.2J stripgrazer, the supplied 1 foot earth rod is for stripgrazing, definitely worth getting 1 proper 5ft earth rod when used as a permanent 800m fence. Complete waste of time and effort adding any more, a fence like this needs to be kept completely clear of earths from vegetation and will give a good shock if maintained but at 0.2J any amount of earthing will kill the fence and no amount of additional earth bars will make a difference.

This is a useful chart, it's based on PEL energizers but should be relevant for any other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

A battery fencer will do fine on one earth rod . Throw a bucket of water on the earth rod to keep the ground moist. It will immediately up the shock by 20% .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Earthing off the rsj of a shed renders your insurance null & void if any fire occurs in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

Use it around now with another run in Sept. I concentrate on briars, then nettles and thistles. Grazon will do furze and whitethorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭farm to fork

Set up a quad sprayer in the back of the jeep and fly around the farm with lance out the window with Grazon pro. Only job. I put a long hose on it to get into the areas like corners where I cant reach from the driving seat. I have also set it up in the grab of the loader with the lance attached to a short boom and ran the sprayer off the button for the 3rd service when the ground was too tricky for the jeep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Spent a time looking for cause of voltage drop this morning. we have sheep wire with a strand of mains in a lot of places and at some stage a pigtail was put in to replace a rotten post. The pigtail was zig zagged through the sheep wire and the white insulation cracked thus allowing a short.

The fence unit was bought in 1977 and has never missed a beat.

7 earth rods 3 metres between each in a half moon configuration form the earthing system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Genuine question but is it not against the regulations to spray the headlands/under the wire at the ditch?

Advertisement