Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage finished

• 13-06-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I know this is not a usual mortgage question but does anyone know how long it normally takes a bank (mine is pTSB) to return deeds when a mortgage has been paid off?

I'm in the middle of a complaint with them about the way they handled various aspects of the end of mortgage but the last payment was made on 30th April and six weeks later, I have heard nothing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChewyLewy

Did you request the deeds as of yet ? You'll need to get a discharge of the mortgage aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

aoh wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I know this is not a usual mortgage question but does anyone know how long it normally takes a bank (mine is pTSB) to return deeds when a mortgage has been paid off?

I'm in the middle of a complaint with them about the way they handled various aspects of the end of mortgage but the last payment was made on 30th April and six weeks later, I have heard nothing!

We finished ours back in March and we just received the letter outlining the options for the return of deeds last friday. They had told us in the branch that it would take up to 10 weeks for the deeds to be released.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you still have an account with the same bank, they may as a matter of course hang onto the deeds until you ask for them. The reason for this is that in your mortgage agreement, you would have agreed that the house would be security for the mortgage and any other loans you take out with them.

So if they don't write to you about returning the deeds and you've no plans to sell up in the near future, let them take care of them rather than you have to worry what to do with them if they return them.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Got a letter today. How/Where do you want us to send the deeds. Oh but you have to pay €35 before we'll lift a finger! Like they haven't shafted me for 20 years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

aoh wrote: »
    Got a letter today. How/Where do you want us to send the deeds. Oh but you have to pay €35 before we'll lift a finger! Like they haven't shafted me for 20 years!!

How were you shafted for 20 years? I presume the fee is normal enough, I got notice of it when I took out my mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

coylemj wrote:
    So if they don't write to you about returning the deeds and you've no plans to sell up in the near future, let them take care of them rather than you have to worry what to do with them if they return them.

This must apply to us so, paid off mortgage about 8 years ago, heard nothing about return of deeds,

Advertisement