Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

ISOP wrote: »
    touch and go whether I'll toe the line in the morning, touch of a sore throat and a had dodgy stomach last night for a few hours. Not bad now, so hopefully will make it

That's nothing!! You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

Jeez I spent an Age at the expo today.

I couldn't find the bib number area for ages, ended up walking 7 Km in total...according to the fitbit.

Could have done without it, the shin is pretty sore now.

Nice bag of goodies though.

Can't wait for the start tomorrow now.

Is the bag drop in the same place as the expo today?

Very, very close! Up at street level I believe. It's well spread out but give yourself a bit of time just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

some sausage fest of a marathon, 83% of the field are male

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

Itziger wrote: »

Tyris on Tap at 7pm then??

Should be over for a couple of beers.. Probably a little after 8pm - hopefully people will still be thirsty at that stage!

• Advertisement

Mogrump wrote: »

Tyris on Tap at 7pm then??

Should be over for a couple of beers.. Probably a little after 8pm - hopefully people will still be thirsty at that stage!

All welcome, although given the comment above about the sausage fest.... a few old dolls wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scampwolf

Mogrump wrote: »

All welcome, although given the comment above about the sausage fest.... a few old dolls wouldn't go astray.

Quick one guys...5.30am...calves hurt ??? Must get my priorities right...'re beer in the evening...how would one know who the group is in the bar?...And please do not say ye will be wearing marathon shirts...😉 best of luck all!

Scampwolf wrote: »

Quick one guys...5.30am...calves hurt ??? Must get my priorities right...'re beer in the evening...how would one know who the group is in the bar?...And please do not say ye will be wearing marathon shirts...�� best of luck all!

We'll all be talking ****e in loud Irish voices and explaining that we'd have been in great shape if we'd had 2 more weeks of prep.I have greying hair and black rimmed glasses.

Well? How did we do????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Well? How did we do????

Was tracking Mr MacPhisto....2:55:01. Seemed to be targeting 2:55?

• Advertisement

I did a kinda meh 38 flat for the 10k. Was hoping for about 37.30 but just couldn't push the body.

Saw an Irish Ken with the 3.15 group. Hope it wasn't Diablo Verde. I'm afraid it's got kinda warm now alright. In the sun the last few could be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

3:07:43
    A 2 minute PB and I'm thrilled. Was perfect for sub 3 till about 27km then the wheels came off a bit. Pulled myself together and brought it home.

Diablo Verde with a beautiful 2.59.11. Splits look brilliantly controlled

Savage stuff

Shame you can't join us for a jar, Ricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Cheers! That went better than expected. Delighted with that because the legs felt knackered yesterday and not much better this morning.

Shame you can't join us for a jar, Ricky.

I know, I'm an awful tool the way I book these things. I could do with getting gunner eyed. Haven't had a drop in months.

Congrats Diablo, beautiful when it comes together on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

Managed a 2:58:1x... Tough going from 30km with the heat but will take it only a month after Dublin.

Bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Delighted to make the start line today and get around. Taper was not ideal with a niggle that resulted in 12 missed running days and 5 missed sessions which decimated any notions of a sub 2:45 attempt.

The bonus of all that was that I was under no pressure to hit a target time. So I enjoyed the drums, the music and crowd support. Had notions of getting a course PB after 30k, but the lack of taper running had me tiring with about 8km to go. So decided to ease the pace and just get home.

2:55:01.

Food and beer is on the agenda. The bonus of my brother getting a nice sub 3 PB will make the beer sweeter.

• Advertisement

Man. That was a chastening experience...

Hip went out at about 23 and I ended up doing what my wife calls my "Charlie Chaplin walk" with one leg stick out sideways.

Limped home in around 4.28 I think.

I guess I'll learn from it but it was a painful teacher today.

goodtiming wrote: »
    Man. That was a chastening experience...

Hip went out at about 23 and I ended up doing what my wife calls my "Charlie Chaplin walk" with one leg stick out sideways.

Limped home in around 4.28 I think.

I guess I'll learn from it but it was a painful teacher today.
    Today was like something out of a horror movie for me. I couldn't believe the amount of punters out on the course acting the maggot, crossing roads etc. I barrelled into some idiot with a bike at 14 and hit the deck, simultaneously getting a back spasm. Game over. Would not throw in the towel and staggered home in 4:45 walking and jogging. The crowd control here leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The start was chaos aswell. Push and shoving trying to even get into the pen. No respect or camaraderie for fellow runners. Supporters milling around making things even worse..I need a beer...

It's pathetic but it's a start.
    A McBeer
    I'll be Barney Gumble in 15 minutes

Did anyone see the guy getting chest compressions behind an ambulance around the 23/24k mark....it looked pretty bad, hopefully they got to him in time.

It Looks like all the records were broken out there today

https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/gebrselassie-valencia-marathon

goodtiming wrote: »
    It Looks like all the records were broken out there today

https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/gebrselassie-valencia-marathon

Nice to see Dido keeping busy since the music thing didn't pan out

Today was like something out of a horror movie for me. I couldn't believe the amount of punters out on the course acting the maggot, crossing roads etc. I barrelled into some idiot with a bike at 14 and hit the deck, simultaneously getting a back spasm. Game over. Would not throw in the towel and staggered home in 4:45 walking and jogging. The crowd control here leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The start was chaos aswell. Push and shoving trying to even get into the pen. No respect or camaraderie for fellow runners. Supporters milling around making things even worse..I need a beer...

I'm afraid I have to agree with you on the crowd behaviour. I was able to spectate for the first time and some of the road crossing was Goddamn awful. Such a shame.

As for beers at 7. The Tyris on Tap place is slightly hidden behind Christmas market stalls. Passing the Central Market on your left and the Silk Exchange on your right, it's only about 75 metres after the latter on that side. Kinda indented in a mini ' square'.

I'm here in the hotel cripled. I'll do my best make it down.

I'm here in the hotel cripled. I'll do my best make it down.

A couple of IPAs might act as a muscle relaxant.....That and Iboprofen;)

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I have to agree with you on the crowd behaviour. I was able to spectate for the first time and some of the road crossing was Goddamn awful. Such a shame.

As for beers at 7. The Tyris on Tap place is slightly hidden behind Christmas market stalls. Passing the Central Market on your left and the Silk Exchange on your right, it's only about 75 metres after the latter on that side. Kinda indented in a mini ' square'.

The crowd was odd. I've never seen people who genuinely didn't seem to care about walking right across in front of you.
    Not sure how I felt about the Benny Hill music either

Advertisement