Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting up & running query - need advice please!

Options
  • 13-06-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm here asking for any practical advice to the following, I just need a steer in the right direction. Here's some personal background/context - I'm 31 & car is 05 Mini 1.6.

I'm a provisional license holder, have bought a car in my own right & I'm looking into getting car insurance. I'm hoping to practice and take the driving test in my own car too but can't do so unless I've got it insured first. However, I'm coming up against colossal insurance quotes (in excess of €4,800). I've never been a named driver on any policy and this is hiking up the cost. I've been told that my father is too old (over 70) to be added as a named driver on my own insurance policy.

I'm wondering what the best course of action is or if I can do any of the following to make some difference:

1. Change the car owners name to my father's, then ask him to take out another policy (he doesn't want to take his own car off the road) then add me as a named driver? The car would be "his" but I would be driving it.

2. Sell the car, invest in a 1.0 litre and see if that makes some difference to the quote?

3. Bite the bullet, keep the car, take out my own insurance and pay this fee in installments?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Test an online quote using your details but a 1l car, get a yaris reg off donedeal and see how much it is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do your test in the instructors car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

"The car would be "his" but I would be driving it." Unfortunately "fronting" is illegal in Ireland.

Try getting quotes for a car less than 10 years old with a 1L engine or so, insurance companies dont like older cars and 1.6L is considered a big engine for a learner.

And as above, pass the test using the instructors car first. Many people never drove anything but the instructors car until they passed the test.
    4000+ is not unusual for insurance until you pass your test, It is stupidly expensive to get past the first 2 years or so until you build up your no claims bonus.

Advertisement