Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Athlone the trendiest place in Ireland ?

Options
  • 13-06-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Situated in the very centre of Ireland,with the majestic shannon flowing through it and at the entrance point to loughree ,Ireland's most historic lake with its islands of churches and monastic ruins.a town which has a castle on the main town bridge and home to a huge number of restaurants,pubs and cafe's.Athlone ,a haven of happiness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Galway is trendier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

NO

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The best thing about Athlone is the N6 (in any direction) and the mother in laws Sunday dinners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

always associated it with travellers or am I thinking of Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

flazio wrote: »
    Galway is trendier

Galway is in the arsehole of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Happy4all wrote: »
    always associated it with travellers or am I thinking of Mullingar?

Your thinking of glenroe on the telly, there was a traveller family,lovely bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Your thinking of glenroe on the telly, there was a traveller family,lovely bunch.

where did they move when Glenroe ceased to exist? Westmeath I think? took up a bit of boxing/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Yer only a sh1te in the bucket!!
    I'll bate ya,ya tinkers bastard.... *

*common Athlone greeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Athlone is not even the trendiest place in Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Parts of Athlone are dead with little or no economic activity and closed shops everywhere due in part to the development and opening of Golden Island and the New shopping centre near the Radisson Hotel. Connacht square and the road leading to the town bridge are a lot quieter than they used to be.

It is a sad reflection on the moribund nature of economic development in the County of Roscommon in that Monksland, the western part of Athlone is the largest urban centre in the county of Roscommon and is about to be lost to Westmeath if the Athlone Urban area is expanded. A similar process is at play in Ballinasloe which is expanding Eastward at Galways gain and Roscommons expense. Both towns are badly in need of redevelopment and creation of much needed jobs.

Athlone is centrally located and I know of families where one partner works in Galway and the other works in Dublin and they commute on a regular basis from Athlone. Not a very convenient arrangement but rents in Galway are quiet high and rents in Dublin are astronomically high and you keep what ever job you can get in these uncertain times. Their car salesmen must be very happy people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Maybe its going a little bit too far with "Trendiest in Ireland" but certainly when you look at the competition in the Midlands

Tullamore(omg)
    Longford (help)
    Portlaoise (gawd awful)
    Mullingar (Dull central)

Athlone is totally way ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've lived in a few different towns in other parts of Ireland and while I wouldn't call Athlone the trendiest town in the country, its got an awful lot more going for it than most other towns of its size. Plenty of good shopping options. No shortage of employment. Most of the services you could hope to access in a city. Tonnes of great restaurants and pubs. Beautiful scenery. Very affordable compared to some other parts of the country and great transport links for those who would rather be somewhere else.

Unfortunately, a lot of locals who have never left the place seem to have no confidence in praising the town. It has its problems like anywhere else, but you'd never hear Galway or Cork people slagging off their hometown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

No, and I am not interested in buying your Celtic tiger investment property there. Great pub along the river though - Sean's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

martin1 wrote: »
    Maybe its going a little bit too far with "Trendiest in Ireland" but certainly when you look at the competition in the Midlands

Tullamore(omg)
    Longford (help)
    Portlaoise (gawd awful)
    Mullingar (Dull central)

Athlone is totally way ahead

There's absolutely nothing trendy about any of those places.

lads wearing crosshatch / flared jeans / slip on brown shoes/ slazenger is the thing in those parts.... I rest my case lol

As for Galway city, a kip over run with dubs on the sesh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cracking town. Punches way above its weight when it comes to entertainment. River is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

'Tis better to be thriving than trendy....said the wise old woman at the bottom of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Athlone is a great town but as previously mentioned, we have an awful lot of negative naysayers in this town. I had a group of friends in town recently from the US, Switzerland and South Africa and they were blown away by the town and especially the lake. They raved about it and said they will definitely come back. We need to be more positive and be thankful for what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Donie75 wrote: »
    Athlone is a great town but as previously mentioned, we have an awful lot of negative naysayers in this town. I had a group of friends in town recently from the US, Switzerland and South Africa and they were blown away by the town and especially the lake. They raved about it and said they will definitely come back. We need to be more positive and be thankful for what we have.

Has Athlone got a lake???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Masala wrote:
    Has Athlone got a lake???

Lough Ree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Lough Ree.

My bad for not knowing that.....my Irish geography gone to the dogs since I left school!!

Sure I remember Brendan Shine singing about it when I was a child and we only had 2 radio stations. The damn thing was on all the time... in between Gloria's 'One day at a time' !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I’ve only ever drove through athlone on the bus.
    It looks threatening and menacing and feels like if you venture far from the place the bus stops at you will be molested or robbed.

I’m sure this is just a bad spot where the bus drives through.

I’m in Dublin city everyday and it feels safer to athlone when you drive in on a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I’ve only ever drove through athlone on the bus.
    It looks threatening and menacing and feels like if you venture far from the place the bus stops at you will be molested or robbed.

I’m sure this is just a bad spot where the bus drives through.

I’m in Dublin city everyday and it feels safer to athlone when you drive in on a bus.

Not sure which Athlone your driving through... Dublin is a kip btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Athlone is a shyte hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cagefactor

Walked around Athlone for the first time ever revrntly. I have no intention to ever visit again. What suprise me was the amount of scumbags around the shopping mall, drugged, drunk and loud.

cagefactor wrote: »
    Walked around Athlone for the first time ever revrntly. I have no intention to ever visit again. What suprise me was the amount of scumbags around the shopping mall, drugged, drunk and loud.

Sounds like Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Not sure which Athlone your driving through... Dublin is a kip btw

Dublin is the superior city, the best jobs, infrastructure, facilities etc etc etc.... It is a kip but hey, I'd rather live in a developed kip than some Irish equivalent of a 2nd world town /city lol

Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Do they still have the Shannon swim every year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Masala wrote: »
    My bad for not knowing that.....my Irish geography gone to the dogs since I left school!!

Sure I remember Brendan Shine singing about it when I was a child and we only had 2 radio stations. The damn thing was on all the time... in between Gloria's 'One day at a time' !!

Fucrking hell that lad is someone i cringe at when i hear of him being associated with the town. Awful songs (Where the 3 counties meet...muck. Do you want your aul laddy washed down...makes Richie Kavanagh sound bearable). Muck pub too when you consider the size of Monksland with no other bars nearby and they can never fill it. A terrible man all in all.

As for Athlone being trendy... It's not and i hope it never will be. Sh1t goes up in price, pay parking (and clamping) gets introduced in places that are suddenly "trendy". And don't get me started on traffic.

Lets just agree it beats the rest of the midlands hands down, but does not have competition. You want trendy, try Dingle or Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's a bit bigger regional town and there are some very good restaurants in the town and near by. Trendy is stretching it but you could easily pick worse place for dinner/lunch.

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    Dublin is the superior city, the best jobs, infrastructure, facilities etc etc etc.... It is a kip but hey, I'd rather live in a developed kip than some Irish equivalent of a 2nd world town /city lol

Xxx

Athlone is not a city.

Advertisement