Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Athlone the trendiest place in Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

You want trendy, try Dingle or Westport.

100% agree

If Athlone councillors/businesses/people had any drive in them at all, they would be looking at Westport and trying to replicate that spot in Athlone. Everything is there that Westport has (apart from Croagh Patrick, but Athlone has the river) so it should be well able to compete and be as "trendy". Currently, there is no comparison.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Never thought I'd hear or read trendy and Athlone in the same sentence. If were going for the highly industrious/tourist town, then yes, Westport would be a town to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ldsolare

So based on the comments here about Athlone i have to admit I am very doubtful of the place. I have a job offer but now i’m lost.
    Is there a chance to recommend anther place in county westmeath pr county kildare and commute to Athlone for work? Please provid your feedback.
    Would anyone consider commute from Kildare town/Newbridge? 80mins roughly travellling,
    Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Situated in the very centre of Ireland,with the majestic shannon flowing through it and at the entrance point to loughree ,Ireland's most historic lake with its islands of churches and monastic ruins.a town which has a castle on the main town bridge and home to a huge number of restaurants,pubs and cafe's.Athlone ,a haven of happiness.

Not denying any of this, but not sure you're got the right definition of "trendy".
    Masala wrote: »
    Has Athlone got a lake???

Depends on how much it's rained recently.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Our Dunnes has the largest lingerie section in Ireland apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It’s a fine town it has all you need. An 80 min commute is a load of balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Lots of people travel from Galway City to do clothes shopping in Athlone. Athlone has no major traffic issues and lots of shops its a place on the up, a future City :)

ldsolare wrote: »
    So based on the comments here about Athlone i have to admit I am very doubtful of the place. I have a job offer but now i’m lost.
    Is there a chance to recommend anther place in county westmeath pr county kildare and commute to Athlone for work? Please provid your feedback.
    Would anyone consider commute from Kildare town/Newbridge? 80mins roughly travellling,
    Luke

There isn't a whole lot in Kildare that would be any better than Athlone. Certainly nothing worth 80min drive each way

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Luke

With a family and small children you are not looking for a trendy place to live. I think Athlone has a lot going for it. There is a good selection of schools in the area. Both primary and secondary. There are a number of after school activities available depending on your interests. Regional sports centre and good facilities at the IT. Plenty of services at your doorstep. Shopping is quite good and much more accessible than Galway these days. And it’s central. If I decide to go go to Dublin or Newbridge I’m there in less than 2 hours. Beach, lakes, mountains, forests, cinema, castles, airports are all within easy reach. It’s a bit more rural and therefore less hectic and cheaper to live in than Dublin. There’s a decent selection of bars and restaurants and although the nightlife scene won’t blow you away it’s grand. I find it very family friendly.

Does that mean there is no good place in all county Westmeath and north countu kildare that can better than Athlone? In other words if i have job offer in waterford/cork city, would be better off to settle in these areas?
    Athlone, i understand it has the advantage to be between Galway and Dublin and always the probability that anyone could end commuting to these two cities. So my point is giving the geographical location is good but it has drawbacks and i think in Athlone (last time i was there) i did not get that nice feeling at the town centre like some other towns where you things going on in the street etc. I think Athlone has only those two shopping malls and stops there. So it could be very risky for someone moving with Family knowing it needs to travel 1hr/1hr30mins everytime/every weekend wants to hang out in the city. But hey i am still considering the move there so its nice from anyone who fan proof me wrong or else recommend other nearby towns like for example Tullamore

• Advertisement

Thanks for your great feedback. So between cork and Athlone what would you choose if you have the offer? Also, if i may ask, do you live in Athlone, can you recommend pre-school and primary schools for girls? This would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

best thing about Athlone, is that half of it is in Connacht

To be honest OP, it seems like you want to move to Cork! A lot of posters have given comments, and each are thanked (rightfully), and you then say negative things about the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Athlone isn't the trendiest place in Ireland, but for a big regional town, I'd rather live here than almost any other similar town in Ireland.

Compared to the likes of Tullamore, Carlow, Portlaoise, Mullingar, Longford, Naas, etc, it's a much better place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Does that mean there is no good place in all county Westmeath and north countu kildare that can better than Athlone?

Basically, yes. As said in the post before mine, I'd send you to Athlone before any other town in the region. It has the best range of facilities available, good shopping, restaurants, bars and transport links. Also, housing is slightly cheaper than what you'd pay in the commuter towns closer to Dublin.
    So it could be very risky for someone moving with Family knowing it needs to travel 1hr/1hr30mins everytime/every weekend wants to hang out in the city.

Depends what you're after. Athlone has many of the facilities you'll find in Galway or even Dublin. The main thing I've ever had to travel for is going to the airport, concerts or sporting events, most of which are in Dublin anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Athlone isn't the trendiest place in Ireland, but for a big regional town, I'd rather live here than almost any other similar town in Ireland.

Compared to the likes of Tullamore, Carlow, Portlaoise, Mullingar, Longford, Naas, etc, it's a much better place to live.
    I'm sorry but Mullingar is a good town to live in
    Closer to Dublin
    Loads of amenities - pools, cycleways, canals
    Decent shops, cafes and restaurants
    Good selection of schools
    Train direct into Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Most of the towns listed are perfectly fine to live in if you pick the right area. But if the job is in Athlone I can't see any reason to pick Tullamore or Mullingar or any other regional town over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Athlone is a nice town, lived there for a few years previously. Nice selection of shops, pubs, restaurants. It's not a city so can't compare to Cork or Galway but I choice between Athlone and Tullamore or Mullingar or Portlaois or Thurles and it's a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Closer to Dublin

I've lived on both. Mullingar is a ****hole, I currently lives in Athlone, it's a much better place to live. 90mins to Dublin, 50mins to Galway or Limerick. Infinitely better amenities.

Mullingar is grand and yes it's closer to Dublin if that's what you're into, but it certainly feels smaller. Athlone definitely has a bit more to it despite similar populations. Athlone was always the most important town in the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

In many ways, Athlone benefits from not being as near to Dublin. Mullingar doesn't get a college as "its too near Dublin, Maynooth" etc.

As for that line about the Mullingar train taking you to Connolly, have you seen the sardine can that becomes approaching the city? There are non stop buses going from Athlone that can get you to airport in 80-90 mins and city centre in similar despite the longer distance.

Those "notions" people who "don't take buses" have a quickish train to Heuston, which in fairness is as much Dublin as Beauvais is Paris but that's what you get for being "notions".

Mullingar has a better music scene i'll give it that much. And probably less of a parochial taste in entertainment. Hard to get sold out gigs in Athlone that don't have Country Music and Old Spice.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Closer to Dublin

Lots of travellers too which is nice

Klonker wrote: »
    Athlone is a nice town, lived there for a few years previously. Nice selection of shops, pubs, restaurants. It's not a city so can't compare to Cork or Galway but I choice between Athlone and Tullamore or Mullingar or Portlaois or Thurles and it's a no brainer.

Its not a city yet but the Government intend to make it one so there will be plenty of investment in the future

Its not a city yet but the Government intend to make it one so there will be plenty of investment in the future

That'll be the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

That area around the castle with the pubs and restaurants is crying out for some investment.

It's already a nice place to sit out and chill. It just needs a little more to make it 'in trend'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Does that mean there is no good place in all county Westmeath and north countu kildare that can better than Athlone? In other words if i have job offer in waterford/cork city, would be better off to settle in these areas?
    Athlone, i understand it has the advantage to be between Galway and Dublin and always the probability that anyone could end commuting to these two cities. So my point is giving the geographical location is good but it has drawbacks and i think in Athlone (last time i was there) i did not get that nice feeling at the town centre like some other towns where you things going on in the street etc. I think Athlone has only those two shopping malls and stops there. So it could be very risky for someone moving with Family knowing it needs to travel 1hr/1hr30mins everytime/every weekend wants to hang out in the city. But hey i am still considering the move there so its nice from anyone who fan proof me wrong or else recommend other nearby towns like for example Tullamore

If the salary of both job offers in Athlone or Cork City is the same you will save a lot more money and time living in Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I think Boho in Fermanagh might be Ireland's hippest town. But seriously the winner would probably be a surf town and definitely not Bundoran. Rossnowlagh Easky/Enniscrone and Lahinch are relatively isolated so maybe Strandhill which is more urban. Of the bigger towns Kilkenny and my former self would be amazed to to read this but Killarney which has re-invented itself yet again. Also a mention for Wexford while it may not be hip is certainly under-rated.

Athlone was a place that had the life sucked out of it by shopping centres and had a main street akin to an emigration leached town in Mayo. I associated it with travellers and junkies and mostly avoided. However seeing it from the water changed my mind, it certainly looks good from the river and you only visit the Castle Quarter and nearby Marina and the average doob befooted and rolled up jeans wearing inland waterways yachtie is unlikely to make it as far as Nuts Corner. Not that there is anything wrong with Nuts, many a pint of porter I sucked in it. So I give Athlone the win under the category of best Leinster Heroin Town and third for best large Shannon Town after Limerick and Carrick.

If any Beardstrokers out there fancy moving to or checking out Boho, I recommend the Linnet Inn.

Best Heroin town in Leinster! Boom!

I always laugh at the notion that Athlone is associated with travellers. Much higher proportion of them in Galway - and many other places - but nobody ever mentions that.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Best Heroin town in Leinster! Boom!

I always laugh at the notion that Athlone is associated with travellers. Much higher proportion of them in Galway - and many other places - but nobody ever mentions that.

True, I just checked that out Athlone isn't even in the dirty dozen or top 12 towns for travelers.

Dublin City and suburbs 5,089
    Galway City and suburbs 1,598
    Cork City and suburbs 1,222
    Tuam 737
    Longford 730
    Navan (An Uaimh) 668
    Mullingar 571
    Dundalk 536
    Ballinasloe 514
    Limerick City and suburbs 501
    Ennis 487
    Tralee 422

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

However Westmeath has a high rate of heroin use at 5.5 per thousand which is the third highest non Dublin in Leinster after Carlow (7) Wickla (5.6) In contrast Sligo (0.4) has the lowest with the rest of the NW not far ahead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/high-heroin-use-by-young-in-regional-cities-465103.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That area around the castle with the pubs and restaurants is crying out for some investment.

It's already a nice place to sit out and chill. It just needs a little more to make it 'in trend'!

Crying out for investment and pedestrianisation.

Advertisement