Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Athlone the trendiest place in Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, I just checked that out Athlone isn't even in the dirty dozen or top 12 towns for travelers.

Dublin City and suburbs 5,089
    Galway City and suburbs 1,598
    Cork City and suburbs 1,222
    Tuam 737
    Longford 730
    Navan (An Uaimh) 668
    Mullingar 571
    Dundalk 536
    Ballinasloe 514
    Limerick City and suburbs 501
    Ennis 487
    Tralee 422

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

However Westmeath has a high rate of heroin use at 5.5 per thousand which is the third highest non Dublin in Leinster after Carlow (7) Wickla (5.6) In contrast Sligo (0.4) has the lowest with the rest of the NW not far ahead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/high-heroin-use-by-young-in-regional-cities-465103.html

Didn't know it was possible to calculate that. I mean, if they're travellers, isn't the whole point that they, eh.... travel?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

True, I just checked that out Athlone isn't even in the dirty dozen or top 12 towns for travelers.

Dublin City and suburbs 5,089
    Galway City and suburbs 1,598
    Cork City and suburbs 1,222
    Tuam 737
    Longford 730
    Navan (An Uaimh) 668
    Mullingar 571
    Dundalk 536
    Ballinasloe 514
    Limerick City and suburbs 501
    Ennis 487
    Tralee 422

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

However Westmeath has a high rate of heroin use at 5.5 per thousand which is the third highest non Dublin in Leinster after Carlow (7) Wickla (5.6) In contrast Sligo (0.4) has the lowest with the rest of the NW not far ahead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/high-heroin-use-by-young-in-regional-cities-465103.html

Galway has a lot of travellers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Exactly. Nobody ever associates them but anyone from Galway or who has lived there knows that the place is rammed with travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Exactly. Nobody ever associates them but anyone from Galway or who has lived there knows that the place is rammed with travellers.

Its the anti limerick pro galway bandwagon in the media. Stab is a bigger city with plenty of space for expansion of business and residential but is bashed so much that it is avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Its the anti limerick pro galway bandwagon in the media. Stab is a bigger city with plenty of space for expansion of business and residential but is bashed so much that it is avoided

Limerick seems to be booming for a place that's being bashed! Athlone could do with some of that cash!

• Advertisement

Too be fair Galway is no where near limerick when it come to gang wars. Limerick is a rough spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Too be fair Galway is no where near limerick when it come to gang wars. Limerick is a rough spot

Its been a long while since gang wars were a big thing in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Tuam has 8.5% and Longford has 7.3% of their population travellers making them by far Ireland's deepest concentrations of our ethnic friends, excepting Rathkeale which must have been to small to make the list. Exciting places to live I'd say.

People travel all the way from America to eat in Athlones world famous restaurants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbAmthm4Ymc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

People travel all the way from America to eat in Athlones world famous restaurants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbAmthm4Ymc

I’d reckon the jacks got destroyed after that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

depends what you need if you have a family move to a village out side athlone and try to cultivate a sense of community,Athlone or even Cork you have a chance to live among your own people in the urban centres and estates the immigrants are filing them up fast. another knife crime in dundrum last night we never had this **** before this diversity agenda. A rural village is the way to go for peace and like minded people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Limerick is a fantastic place to live despite the bad press i was there for 12 years just moved back to galway prefer limerick Galway is commuter nightmare and the rents are off the scale. Galway is a village trying to be a city but they never planned the roads for the expansion they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

depends what you need if you have a family move to a village out side athlone and try to cultivate a sense of community,Athlone or even Cork you have a chance to live among your own people in the urban centres and estates the immigrants are filing them up fast. another knife crime in dundrum last night we never had this **** before this diversity agenda. A rural village is the way to go for peace and like minded people.

**** me that's some racist rant there!
    Nearly every village in the country has immigrants in it. And just like the Irish, there's good and bad

Limerick is a fantastic place to live despite the bad press i was there for 12 years just moved back to galway prefer limerick Galway is commuter nightmare and the rents are off the scale. Galway is a village trying to be a city but they never planned the roads for the expansion they have.

How is Galway a village trying to be a city?? People keep objecting to any development in Galway because they want to keep it a large town instead of a city. Blame government funding as to why Galway has poor roads Cork gets 3 times the funding as Galway. Rents are high cause of demand people want to live there. You cant blame the press for limericks reputation limerick is what it is

607 IDA-assisted site visits took place in 2018, of which 269 were in Dublin.
    Cork drew the second-largest number of visitors with 61 visits. Galway with 54 visits. Limerick and Athlone with 35 and 22 visits respectively. Multinationals think Athlone has something to offer going off these numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

607 IDA-assisted site visits took place in 2018, of which 269 were in Dublin.
    Cork drew the second-largest number of visitors with 61 visits. Galway with 54 visits. Limerick and Athlone with 35 and 22 visits respectively. Multinationals think Athlone has something to offer going off these numbers.

32 visits to Westmeath not Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Athlone is a town that has improved enormously over the years and contuines to do so. Has almost all the essential shops (needs a Halfords) and even at its busiest you can still get free parking.

I agree with what another poster said about natives being very critical of it but I think that is a generational thing, those most critical are 50+ who seem to view it as it was back in the 70s 80s from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Athlone is a town that has improved enormously over the years and contuines to do so. Has almost all the essential shops (needs a Halfords) and even at its busiest you can still get free parking.

I agree with what another poster said about natives being very critical of it but I think that is a generational thing, those most critical are 50+ who seem to view it as it was back in the 70s 80s from what I can tell.

They will have to something with the main street around The Prince Hotel...... kebab shop, Charity Shop...a Centra, a Tattoo Shop????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No.

It's the middle of nowhere. Places get less trendy the further away from water (i.e. the sea) you go. That is fair general rule all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Masala wrote: »
    They will have to something with the main street around The Prince Hotel...... kebab shop, Charity Shop...a Centra, a Tattoo Shop????
    Yes they will, that was once 'The' area in Athlone but has gone downhill over the last two decades. I don't understand why they never made it into a pedestrian area. Would transform the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Has a night out in Athlone in the late 90s , never been back , never once considered going back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has a night out in Athlone in the late 90s , never been back , never once considered going back

Not the "Coppers" you were expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Ah here, it was great craic back then.

Bad Ass Boogie Band on a Friday night in Biddy's. Quiet pints in Potters.

Off up town to Nuts, Conlons, and 41s. There was a pub upstairs over the joke shop. Can't remember the name of it but it had a cracking jukebox.

Ginkels - young ones (and maybe some mad lad in from the country) dancing in the cages.

Bozos - always good fun.

Out at the college we had the college bar Scribes and Brendans. Then over to the Tack Room and into The Paddock or whatever it was called at the time.

Across town the Palace was wedged Thur to Sun. In fairness, town was pretty busy Thur to Sun.

Munchies for curry chips and cheese before wandering home.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Jesus Athlone is one depressing place... Shame the west Brit's just wouldn't go there and leave the west coast alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

There was a pub upstairs over the joke shop. Can't remember the name of it but it had a cracking jukebox.

The Arden Bar! Great oul spot.
    galwayllm wrote: »
    Jesus Athlone is one depressing place... Shame the west Brit's just wouldn't go there and leave the west coast alone.

Our apologies. Not everywhere can be as exhilarating as the collection of pubs and traffic jams that is Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The Arden Bar! Great oul spot.

Ah ye, that's it. Cheers! I only ever popped in for a pint or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭riddles

It is cold, damp and miserable. I can’t think of anything positive about other than a stonking great by pass. Hard to believe the main route to the west was over the bridge and through the town. It’s rivaled only by Carlow in terms of utter bleakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

riddles wrote: »
    It is cold, damp and miserable

So is everywhere in the country.
    Which heaving metropolis do you hail from yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The centre of the town has seen a lot of development in the last 15 years. The town has come on an awful lot since I started visiting in the mid 90's. It's actually a pleasant place to visit. Lovely restaurants, very good shopping (love Athlone town centre), some nice pubs, lovely riverside location and some interesting pieces of architecture. I think it is the finest of the midland towns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Masala wrote: »

When Golden Island was built Church St stopped being the main shopping street in the town. As for Centra convenience shops are always useful in a central location. Tattoo shop makes sense as retail units become bigger smaller units are harder to rent. Charity shops are on most main streets in Ireland now and in the UK.
    Although Church St is a curious mix of tenants filling it's units most units are full which is pretty good by modern standards. Visit Carlow to see what a devastated Main Street looks like.

Advertisement