Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young son not impressed with playstation 4 from santa

Options
  • 13-06-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

As above after downloading the 5.55 update his playstation is stuck on a continuous loop regarding the update,a mate tried the so called solutions from the sony playstation website and other websites but no joy.His 5 mates downloaded the update no problem but when i was googling it ive came across tons of others as far back as 2013 that have had the same problem after downloading updates too .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

damon5 wrote: »
    As above after downloading the 5.55 update his playstation is stuck on a continuous loop regarding the update,a mate tried the so called solutions from the sony playstation website and other websites but no joy.His 5 mates downloaded the update no problem but when i was googling it ive came across tons of others as far back as 2013 that have had the same problem after downloading updates too .....

Im assuming one of those solutions was factory resetting the console and reinstalling the software?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Im assuming one of those solutions was factory resetting the console and reinstalling the software?

Hi yes that was the last thing we tried,downloaded the full reinstall software on my laptop then copied to a blank 4.7GB DVD+R and put in the playstation,made a few noises and then up on screen it said......Cannot find an update file for version 5.53-01 or later.You can download the update file from playstation.com(su-30649-2).....another time i tried and put the DVD+R in the playstation and it said the disc could not be read .....

Some other guy posted a video as he was having the same problem and he said its a fault with the connections to the blueray hard drive,he opended the playstation up and pushed the wires in tight and succeeded to get the update installed,some so called solutions out there work for some but not for others,the sons saying he,s sorry he never stuck with the xbox ........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Have you tried installing the update using a USB stick rather than a disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Hi yes that was the last thing we tried,downloaded the full reinstall software on my laptop then copied to a blank 4.7GB DVD+R and put in the playstation,made a few noises and then up on screen it said......Cannot find an update file for version 5.53-01 or later.You can download the update file from playstation.com(su-30649-2).....another time i tried and put the DVD+R in the playstation and it said the disc could not be read .....

Some other guy posted a video as he was having the same problem and he said its a fault with the connections to the blueray hard drive,he opended the playstation up and pushed the wires in tight and succeeded to get the update installed,some so called solutions out there work for some but not for others,the sons saying he,s sorry he never stuck with the xbox ........

Well iwouldnt use a dvr,i had to do this a couple of weeks ago,used a memory stick (formatted to exfat) download the full install file. should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

use a USB stick not DVD

You also need the full firmware not the update, even if you think it's the full one it might not be but you can tell by the file size.

The USB stick should have a folder called PS4 and then in that a folder called UPDATE, put the firmware in that. Start the PS4 into safe mode.

The full firmware is almost 1GB the update is about 400Mb

Here's a link.

http://deu01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2018_0510/rec_484773c0ee36ae22c9e4e4c051968861/PS4UPDATE.PUP

Link to guide to entering safe mode

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/power---system-stability/safe-mode-on-playstation-4/

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Have you tried installing the update using a USB stick rather than a disc?

No not computer literate so dont understand the part about making folders etc that you have to do for the usb stick :)

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Well iwouldnt use a dvr,i had to do this a couple of weeks ago,used a memory stick (formatted to exfat) download the full install file. should work.

How do i get the memory stick formated to exfat,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

How do i get the memory stick formated to exfat,cheers.

Right click the memory stick when you see it in the "My Computer" and select Format from the little menu that pops up. Should be an option there for file type with options of ntfs or FAT32. Select the fat one

Varik wrote: »
    use a USB stick not DVD

You also need the full firmware not the update, even if you think it's the full one it might not be but you can tell by the file size.

The USB stick should have a folder called PS4 and then in that a folder called UPDATE, put the firmware in that. Start the PS4 into safe mode.

The full firmware is almost 1GB the update is about 400Mb

Here's a link.

http://deu01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2018_0510/rec_484773c0ee36ae22c9e4e4c051968861/PS4UPDATE.PUP

Link to guide to entering safe mode

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/power---system-stability/safe-mode-on-playstation-4/

Thanks for reply and links,yes it was the larger reinstall file around 1GB that i downloaded,i dont understand this .........The USB stick should have a folder called PS4 and then in that a folder called UPDATE, put the firmware in that. ............
    Wondering how could a blank usb stick have a folder called PS4 :) please forgive my ignorence as i have said in a previous post am totally computer literate :)

He means that after you format the stick it will be empty. Then you create the folders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Folder naming is also case sensitive.
    Link here

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Damon5 where in Ireland are you located?

RedXIV wrote: »
    He means that after you format the stick it will be empty. Then you create the folders

Would a new usb stick need to be formatted? i,m assuming that when i plug the usb stick into the laptop that i have to find it on the laptop and then create folders,thats one of many stages in this journey that has me flumoxed, ......

Damon5 where in Ireland are you located?

Dublin,stones throw from city centre ....

Taltos wrote: »
    Folder naming is also case sensitive.
    Link here

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Thanks will try to decipher that tomorrow when i pick up a usb stick.....

Would a new usb stick need to be formatted? i,m assuming that when i plug the usb stick into the laptop that i have to find it on the laptop and then create folders,thats one of many stages in this journey that has me flumoxed, ......

A new USB stick would need to be formatted to FAT32. Most new ones are either blank or are NTFS.

Im also in Dublin and I am off tomorrow. If you run into difficulties, PM me and I can guide you through it in real time. Failing that, I'll come round and do it for you.

So you've put the memory stick in the PC, and as the format isn't likely to be Fat32/exfat you're going to have to format it which will wipe the stick.

Do as Red said and go to "my Computer" and you'll see the stick, right click on it and select format. A box pops up an in one of them you'll be able to select Fat32 or exFat (if it's a big drive) and star the format.

Go back to "my Computer" and go into the stick, while in there right click and go to the bottom of the pop up and hover over new which will have a new set of option pop up to the side of which you select folder.

Name this folder "PS4" by right clicking on it and selecting rename, go into this folder and repeat the last step creating a new folder which you name "UPDATE".

Put the firmware in this.

Do i put the " before and after the name as you showed?

Will give this a break now as head keeps doing 360,s will attempt this again tomorrow afternoon.Much appreciate lads :)

Do i put the " before and after the name as you showed?

Will give this a break now as head keeps doing 360,s will attempt this again tomorrow afternoon.Much appreciate lads :)

No

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

forgive my ignorance but is this not a fault with the machine? shouldn't Sony or Santa be responsible for fixing it?

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    forgive my ignorance but is this not a fault with the machine? shouldn't Sony or Santa be responsible for fixing it?

Consoles at this point are basically custom PCs and it wouldn't be unusual for some maintenance on a PC. As issues on consoles go, the option to reinstall firmware is actually quite powerful and while not completely intuitive, Sony have very detailed steps on how to do it.

You could certainly bring the machine to a shop etc but to be honest, in this case, it makes much more sense to learn how to do this as it's really not that complicated

gimli2112 wrote: »

Santa is getting one of his elves to fix it today.

Advertisement