Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee or Start My Own Company

Options
  • 13-06-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, everyone. I'm a GP moving to Ireland from Portugal in the next few weeks. I've been offered a position working for another doctor at a Medical Centre in rural County Waterford. I've been trying to decide whether I'm actually better off tax-wise being considered an employee or starting my own company. My supervising GP told me that it's my decision. If I declare my own company, can I legally hire my wife as an employee and/or deduct transportation costs? We have two young children in case that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Go talk to an accountant, you have many issues that need to be taken into account - domicile, residence, etc. What does the Health Board say? Were I ill I would not look at Google to diagnose my illness. Why ask here for a life-changing decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Were I ill I would not look at Google to diagnose my illness. Why ask here for a life-changing decision?

'Cos it's cheaper! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I believe if you set up a business, you may be able to claim relocation expenses, even as an employee. However, you can't claim travel expenses if you are travelling from Home to Work.

If you do set up a Company, yes, you can hire your Wife as an employee. I would recommend discussing with an Accountant.

Advertisement