Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godparents

Options
  • 13-06-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this so will try here,we are organising the christening for our newborn,my wife would like her nephew to be godfather,the only problem is that he is only 12,do godparents have to be 18 or older

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

No, my eldest daughter stood for my 4th baby, she was 13 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

cbyrd wrote: »
    No, my eldest daughter stood for my 4th baby, she was 13 at the time.

Thanks,that's good to hear

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think they have to have made their confirmation. You could discuss it with the priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I was a godparent when I was 12. I had made my confirmation. Check with the priest through, I remember a similar thread which said some priests won’t allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I stood for my sister when I was 10. Hadn’t made my confirmation so it wasn’t required in my case. As suggested though check with the priest!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My friend's sister stood for my friend's child before she made her confirmation, but there was a "stand in" God parent on the day who acted on behalf of the child etc. The priest was lovely and really involved the girl in the ceremony, mentioned that after her confirmation she would fully take on the role of Godmother..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My friend's sister stood for my friend's child before she made her confirmation, but there was a "stand in" God parent on the day who acted on behalf of the child etc. The priest was lovely and really involved the girl in the ceremony, mentioned that after her confirmation she would fully take on the role of Godmother..

Not in my case I am/was her godmother, it was just myself and my brother who was 13, he had made his confirmation. Just goes to show speaking to the individual priest is the only way to get a definitive answer on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The official rules say the godparent must be over 16. I think it’s up to the Bishop if they wish to allow an under 16.
    However it might be worth asking about him being a ‘witness’. It’s essentially the same thing to him and you but different rules in the Church.
    You only need to have one godparent (not two) and the second person can be a witness if they don’t meet all the godparent criteria. We had this issue when the godmother we wanted was Christian but not catholic. She was allowed stand as a witness but not godparent (we would still call her godmother and she was allowed take part in ceremony the same as The Godfather). The Godfather was catholic so officially he was the godparent and signed the documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Check with the priest after you go to mass on Sunday. He's the one who's going to tell you what's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He had his confirmation this year so hopefully he can,will meet the priest and discuss,thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement