Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control (Remedy Games) PC, PS4, XB1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Cordell wrote: »
    No, not the same. You are not running the old version on new hardware, you are getting a new version for new hardware.

But it is the old version, with some graphic settings tweaked. It like how the PC version on low settings and the PC version on high settings with Ray Tracing is the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

But it is the old version, with some graphic settings tweaked. It like how the PC version on low settings and the PC version on high settings with Ray Tracing is the same game.

No, I don't think this will be the case, and if it is forget all that I said :)

But I expect the new version to bring the RT (and ideally DLSS) features on the new consoles, that is the only way it makes sense to pay for it. And this is so much more than turning a few options on.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

If they don't then why would you buy it? Just run the old gen version with better performance.

No, not the same. You are not running the old version on new hardware, you are getting a new version for new hardware.

Its common for developers/publishers to release complete editions of games many months after release for people who haven't already purchased the game. It offers them better value for money.

The issue is why are some users on the old version getting the new version for free and others are not.

Why is that THE issue? My issue would be that I already paid more for the base game and the first paid DLC than anyone getting the ultimate edition. Should I at least get the second DLC free? Or should I be happy that I got to play the game at launch way ahead of those buying the ultimate edition?

In an ideal world you would buy a game and be able to play it on any platform supported. I would like that. But it's not gonna happen.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Why is that THE issue? My issue would be that I already paid more for the base game and the first paid DLC than anyone getting the ultimate edition. Should I at least get the second DLC free? Or should I be happy that I got to play the game at launch way ahead of those buying the ultimate edition?

In an ideal world you would buy a game and be able to play it on any platform supported. I would like that. But it's not gonna happen.

Granted you pay more money to get to play a game earlier, that's a pro of early adoption.

But imagine if you paid for the game and the first DLC and then where told if you had bought the game and DLC after this date you will get the second DLC forfree but if you bought it before date then you will have to pay for the base game and first DLC again.

Not expecting every game to be made available for every platform. Just that developers/publisher treat all their customers equally. Customers who have purchased the same content are being treated differently by date of purchase. You would be fairly annoyed if you just purchased Control and the season pass in the last few days or weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even from a straightforward business / PR sense it seems sensible to me to give the upgrade to anyone who has the game and DLC. I mean it’d be a pretty great incentive for people to pick up the new expansion they have coming out in a matter of weeks. You can imagine that extra few quid would largely offset the small amount of ‘double dippers’ who’d pick up the next-gen version on top of the current gen one. Looking beyond that, we know Remedy have more games of this ilk in the works, so again customer goodwill will benefit you there.

I should stress again I’d be 100% confident this seems purely 505 though. Even the loaded ‘no comment’ of Remedy sending journalists to the publisher for comment seems to suggest the developers want nothing to do with this strange free upgrade policy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think what they're doing makes far better financial sense. As mentioned, they're probably having to revamp the whole game to work on proper next gen tech (for consoles, I'm leaving PC out of this), and if they said that all previous purchases will get the free upgrade, what's stopping someone getting the current gen version very cheap during a sale and getting the next gen for free then. Gamers are a tight bunch when it comes to spending money, so that would be rampant. I'd imagine the Complete Edition won't go on sale for a good while after release because of this, whereas you can get the base game quite cheaply now. It's a hard financial decision to make, they want return on their investment (who doesn't) and they're not as big as other devs/publishers who can afford this "goodwill" people want.

But again, this is all coming from the fact that it is a fantastic game and that alone, for me, makes what they're doing perfectly ok. Compared to CDPR, who i'm now convinced keep delaying Cyberpunk becuase they went back to begin again on next gen and are downscaling it for current gen, are offering the free upgrade because the game isn't even out yet, and they know it will sell like hotcakes regardless, because of their proven history of making a near perfect game. Let's hope they live up to that.

Just my 2 cents. Control is a gem of current gen, but that is also completely personal because it reminds me so much of the excellent (again, to me) Second Sight and Psi-Ops games, both of which need to be remastered for current/next gen. Games with telekinetic powers, when done right, are amazing, and Control is one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think one of the aspects of this that’s most disappointing is that Control is a game that had technical issues on base consoles, so you’d have hoped any ps/XsX upgrading would have been offered even as a dlc for no more than €10.

But as someone who bought the game at launch it’s definitely not worth paying again. The core gameplay is fun, but I found the environments bland for the most part and it’s much shorter than I was expecting(although I haven’t played any of the DLC).

McFly85 wrote: »
    ...but I found the environments bland for the most part

I have to disagree here. The constantly changing building, the mind bending rooms, the completely different to the rest of the building areas, the whole lore of the place, the fricken maze!!! I think Remedy created a truly original and visually stunning world with The Oldest House. Every other game is the same these days, other games have desert/snow/mountain/city environs that are basically the same. Even games like The Outer Worlds is the same, just with a lot more colour. The Oldest House is very unique to me, and one of the best worlds I've been in for a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Adding an assist mode, great imo as some of the difficulty spikes were bull****, I'll be going back to this so it seems.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/08/14/control-is-taking-it-easy-in-next-update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I have to disagree here. The constantly changing building, the mind bending rooms, the completely different to the rest of the building areas, the whole lore of the place, the fricken maze!!! I think Remedy created a truly original and visually stunning world with The Oldest House. Every other game is the same these days, other games have desert/snow/mountain/city environs that are basically the same. Even games like The Outer Worlds is the same, just with a lot more colour. The Oldest House is very unique to me, and one of the best worlds I've been in for a while.

The maze was excellent! A really unique experience you couldn’t get in any other medium. Most areas felt to me like going from one big block of concrete to the next.

I kind of feel like Control was a generation too early. I like the core gameplay but I wonder if the vision for the game was limited knowing there would need to be versions that could run on the base PS4 and XB1. And I’d be interested in future games in the series because I think with the extra power of new consoles Remedy could create something truly great-but I’ll probably won’t be buying it day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think you're all missing the real best upgrade:

Ability to re-play any level, including The Ashtray Maze. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Am I the only person who didnt like this game?

Plenty didn't, but few feel the need to inform us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Gotcha, only positive comments :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was completely underwhelmed by it, apart from the visuals, its not up to much.. :(

Gotcha, only positive comments :rolleyes:

Of course :)

McFly85 wrote: »
    I kind of feel like Control was a generation too early. I like the core gameplay but I wonder if the vision for the game was limited knowing there would need to be versions that could run on the base PS4 and XB1. And I’d be interested in future games in the series because I think with the extra power of new consoles Remedy could create something truly great-but I’ll probably won’t be buying it day 1.

I think they got it right by being the first major/AAA game with proper raytracing and DLSS implementations. Apart from that, there is nothing limiting them more than their own engine, since current consoles were able to run large open world games just fine (that is, 30fps kind of fine).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Update adding easy mode or whatever came out last week so re-downloading and gonna get the DLC as well.

I finished the AWE dlc last night. The new area was interesting but I haven't played Alan Wake so a lot of the lore there was lost on me.
    The same strengths and weakness from the main game carry over. Great level design/lore etc but I never liked the boss fights. They just spam you with large amounts of annoying enemies over and over.
    The arcade machine letting you replay the maze was cool, I felt a bit overpowered playing through it again, blazed through it with just the basic form of the service weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

So this should be out on Steam next month right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 LillyLin

Mr Crispy wrote: »

honestly feel like 2019 was yesterday
    this game was ahead of its time
    honestly, even now the games do not look like this
    the guys from Remedy Entertainment are great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

€31 blips for the ultimate edition of this on epic / gog at the moment. Think I'm going to treat myself to it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LillyLin wrote: »
    honestly feel like 2019 was yesterday
    this game was ahead of its time
    honestly, even now the games do not look like this
    the guys from Remedy Entertainment are great

Forward-looking tech coupled with great art design & cool ideas.
    It might not be the best game of all time, but it's hella memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Pretty crappy of 505 with the Ultimate Edition, they've left the standard version up on the PSN and Xbox stores for €60. Not only do you pay €20 more you don't get the dlc or the next gen upgrade.:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bizarre one here. Control is out now on Switch, but it’s a streamable version you need to be online to play. Not unprecedented - Capcom have done it with some Resi games. Interesting to see how / if it works. https://kotaku.com/control-is-now-available-to-stream-the-switch-1845506266

In other Control news, I finished AWE over the weekend. It’s... fine? The light mechanic is cool, but very much feels like a minor DLC expansion even with the Alan Wake links. Honestly reckon the game gets too bogged down in combat and repetition - I love how stylish the game is at its best, but you’ve seen a lot of what it has to offer within a few hours (Ashtray Maze and the like notwithstanding).

I haven't played any of the DLC as I fear the Alan Wake one especially will be lost on me, having never played AW. Does it expand the story somewhat, or you reckon it's definitely not necessary to eventually play the inevitable sequel?

Both DLCs are worth playing, and you don't really need to have played Alan Wake before.

Sweet, i'll pick it up down the road for the PS5 so. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Platinum'd Control months ago and finished the foundry but totally forgot there was another DLC just fired it up last night pretty AWEsome - ok i'll get my coat.

Advertisement