Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control (Remedy Games) PC, PS4, XB1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

€20 at the moment for the Ultimate Edition. Tempted at that prices to see how it does after the PS5 upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have the base game but haven't played yet. Thinking will pick up the season pass at 14.99 while on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

fixXxer wrote: »
    €20 at the moment for the Ultimate Edition. Tempted at that prices to see how it does after the PS5 upgrade.

Tempted myself, but it hasn't been long enough for another playthrough yet. The unfortunate thing with story based games is replayability (for me) is minimal, unless there's multiple routes (not endings, routes).

I'll probably wait for the inclusion in Plus, or pick it up again next year even cheaper. Fantastic game though, if anyone hasn't pulled the trigger on it yet, it's well worth the €20.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Have the base game but haven't played yet. Thinking will pick up the season pass at 14.99 while on offer.

If you intend on getting a 5, then you won't get the upgrade, that only comes with the Ultimate Edition, which is a bit of a kick in the balls, but the game is worth it so I'm ok with that, especially if the improvements will be substantial.

Got the PS5 but was thinking of playing it soon anyway and the PS5 version isn't out til next year sometime. May go ahead with the Ultimate in case I don't actually get to it before then.

If I had the choice now, I'd wait until the PS5 version before playing. It ran really well for me on the Pro, but there was slowdown at times, but I can see those scenes in my mind running on the PS5 and they look glorious! I'll be waiting so for the proper PS5 version, didn't play the DLC so will fly through the main game again.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ControlRemedy/status/1339933440607547393
    Control Ultimate Edition comes to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S with a 60fps Performance Mode and 30fps Graphics Mode (with ray-tracing)

While we work on the full trailer, enjoy a sneak peek of both modes, recorded on PS5.

Digital launch: Feb 2, 2021
    Retail launch: March 2, 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will it be possible to get both performance and graphic modes in 1 proper mode this gen do ye think because those reflections were savage but you can't go back after using 60fps.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

No, unless AMD roll out their upcoming DLSS equivalent technology to consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will it be possible to get both performance and graphic modes in 1 proper mode this gen do ye think because those reflections were savage but you can't go back after using 60fps.

Probably not until the Pro/X versions of the consoles come out in a few years

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Control is a game that runs better on NVIDIA hardware over AMD and that's even before ray tracing is taking into account. A 6800XT which is considerable more powerful than the AMD's GPU in the current gen consoles and that can't even run the game at a consistent 60FPS at 1080P with ray tracing enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The season pass is on sale for €9, is it any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PS Plus game for next month. Certainly worth your time at the price of subscription fee you likely already pay.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1354467426293968901?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy **** the ultimate edition!!! Can't wait to go back and play the dlc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

CastorTroy wrote: »

That date makes sense with the new psplus month. Full ps5 version next week :-) forgot there was dlc too until ZC mentioned it above, kinda hyped for this game all over again

Looking forward to giving this a whirl again, really enjoyed my playthrough of it, so will be nice to play again. Torn between 30fps and RT or 60fps. I've a feeling regardless of which one I try, the other won't feel as good for different reasons. RT is nice, 60fps is also nice... First world problems!

*Queue the PC master race telling me they have both

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Turn on ray-tracing and have a gawk around the central hub area - that area shows off the features pretty darn well based on my time with the PC version.

Then switch to 60 FPS for actual gameplay. The pretty lighting and reflections aren’t worth a halved frame rate IMO, as you’ll barely notice them when it the midst of a battle.

I do hope more games follow the example of Miles Morales’ performance ray-tracing mode, but alas think the norm will be 30 FPS RT or 60 FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Turn on ray-tracing and have a gawk around the central hub area - that area shows off the features pretty darn well based on my time with the PC version.

Then switch to 60 FPS for actual gameplay. The pretty lighting and reflections aren’t worth a halved frame rate IMO, as you’ll barely notice them when it the midst of a battle.

I do hope more games follow the example of Miles Morales’ performance ray-tracing mode, but alas think the norm will be 30 FPS RT or 60 FPS.

Nearly finished all of this over the last few days, and enjoyed it a lot.

Have to agree regarding 60 FPS. Looks great on the PS5 but couldn't play it 30 FPS when avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

After flying through thr ultimate edition I thought I'd return to quantum break and see how it fared against it.

It's brilliant to see how QB evolved I to control and the transition remedy had from Alan wake to QB to control. It shows a clear enough progression

I know QB wasnt for everyone due to the TV show add on but even that has aged fairly well. So if looking for a nice enough narrative given game after control then I'd recommend a return to QB

Aidan Gillen is still woeful though but that's more so on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Control was on my to do list all of last year, finally started and finished it in about a week. What was putting me off was how dull it looked in any pictures I had seen, but i needn't have worried. That mundane grey aesthetic was a perfect fit, as it was a story about the extraordinary in the ordinary and it became one of the most iconic settngs for a game in recent memory.

Gameplay wise, it was fast and fun and with the difficulty buffers added in (which I did avail of, increasing my health durability slightly), accessible. There is also THAT level, as the character said herself after it, that was awesome.

The story was great too, told mostly through collectibles, but unlike other games I actually enjoyed reading them to find out more about the world. Overall it was well worth the wait to play it.

I'm replaying this on PS5, platinumed it on ps4 so using the immortality/one hit kill to breeze through it this time. Switching between ray tracing and performance mode as the action/exploring changes. Its absolutely stunning visually.

• Advertisement

I'm replaying this on PS5, platinumed it on ps4 so using the immortality/one hit kill to breeze through it this time. Switching between ray tracing and performance mode as the action/exploring changes. Its absolutely stunning visually.

Does the 1 shot kill/immortality freeze trophies? I think I’ve like 2 left for the platinum and one of them is the Mr Tomassi side mission which I cannot for the life of me complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Does the 1 shot kill/immortality freeze trophies? I think I’ve like 2 left for the platinum and one of them is the Mr Tomassi side mission which I cannot for the life of me complete.

Found thst fight pretty easy with pierce. Add management can mess your run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Get up the very top of the room and use the bridge/walkway as cover. He can still get at you but it definitely helps.

Be careful though as the distorted hiss will get up there eventually.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Get up the very top of the room and use the bridge/walkway as cover. He can still get at you but it definitely helps.

Be careful though as the distorted hiss will get up there eventually.

I’ve tried that, seen it in a YouTube vid. But when I’m up there i can get him down to about half way but I’ll die with 1/2 hits as well. Fairly frustrating, the most the side missions in this game are :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Stay on the ground floor.
    Chip away at Tommasi, as soon as the other enemies appear run underneath the overhang area, on your right hand side as you enter the fight area.
    One of the hiss will come to you, take care of it while those flying can't get at you.
    Kill the flying guys and get back to killing Tommasi.

No effect on trophies.

I just went and switched on the one hit kill and immortality and had it completed in in seconds. Now just gotta finish off the dlc to get the remaining skill points i need.

Finished this and both DLCs over the past couple nights.
    May go back and do some side stuff.

I will say I turned on immortality and kept it on for the final boss in the Foundation DLC then into AWE.

Really good game. Fun Force-type powers.

Just got the platinum.

I don't usually go for platinum trophies (Only have 1 other) but saw I was close just by playing the game so figured may as well keep going.

Found out later than I would've liked that I didn't need to do the DLC trophies to get the platinum. So a few of the more awkward of those left undone.

Doing the Board Countermeasures was the most time consuming as couldn't rely on enemies to spawn when needed

• Advertisement
Advertisement