Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to the United States

Options
  • 14-06-2018 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So I've been mulling over this for a bit, and I've come to the conclusion, after long periods of thought about it, that I want to emigrate to the United States. I feel there is no opportunity for me in Ireland, and I feel like I'd simply be doing myself a disservice by staying here. Anyone have any opinions/advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

sugarman wrote: »

Perhaps Op should emigrate to Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrhoppy

sugarman wrote: »

I'm trying to reconcile staying here but can't. A lot of people seemed to be asking questions instead of giving answers, not what I was looking for.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Perhaps Op should emigrate to Mullingar?

Sure what good would that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

You'll need to be a little more specific. Comes across like you're a complete dreamer..

What qualifications have you got? What industry do you work in? What part of the states? What sort of visa are you thinking?

If you're just going cause you want to leave Ireland there are easier places to get into legally.

You'll need to be a little more specific. Comes across like you're a complete dreamer..

What qualifications have you got? What industry do you work in? What part of the states? What sort of visa are you thinking?

If you're just going cause you want to leave Ireland there are easier places to get into legally.

I have no intention of remaining in the EU if that’s what you’re saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Comes across like you're a complete dreamer..

And im pretty sure Trump shutdown the dreamer program.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    And im pretty sure Trump shutdown the dreamer program.

Please tell me you’re not attempting to be serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The US has very restricted entry requirements for foreign workers. An employer has to demonstrate that he cannot find a suitably qualified US citizen to do the work required. This is becoming harder to get a visa for by many US companies.

I know that some engineering and software graduates used to get taken on by the parent company of the Irish subsidiary I used to work for but this is happening less frequently because the company sets up facilities in the workers home country because it is cheaper to do so. Modern internet comms make it easier to have many different nationalities collaborating in many different locations in real time as if in the one building. Only large hardware and civil eng projects require relocation of employees and often only highly skilled and rare talents are relocated as it is becoming very costly to do so.

The US is becoming very challenging to live in, high rentals in NY city, San Francisco and the likes are higher than Dublins and the cost of living on food, healthcare and living essentials are also higher. Motor insurance and Health cover are now higher than Irelands in many States and taxes are higher. High local and State taxes mean many people are fleeing high tax States for low tax States. There is also higher rates of crime and race hate violence to contend with. In California many towns have huge problems sourcing enough water for ordinary things like washing, cooking and drinking and it costs a lot. Irish Water is a doddle in comparison. Other States have high risks of floods, storms and natural disasters we do not get in Ireland on the same scale.

In the States holidays are a lot less than Ireland and Social Welfare is very basic compared to Irelands. Many jobless are bussed 60 - 100 miles to minimum wage jobs at their own expense making an 8 hr day into a 12 hr day when the 2hr commute is added ( Busses are very slow in the US). Many States and most people have a very militantly negative view of Welfare and you will not find it pleasant. Without citizenship the only option will be a flight home or deportation if you can't afford it. Many States operate welfare payments in food stamps to prevent people buying other stuff like drink or cigarettes such is the level of control of Welfare spending.

In order to make a go of the US you will have to be very well prepared to not only work long and hard but also to be able to defend your work accuracy , output and effectiveness against stiff competition and hostile criticism at all times. Stuff we do in Ireland such lates after a heavy drinking session or carelessness with company property or casualness in front of customers will result in instant dismissal especially if you are a recent immigrant with little or no rights or protection. Since Trump got in illegal working and undocumented arrangements are much more risky and probably non existent for new travellers. Many people are being turned back by an ever more vigilant and hostile Immigration Service unless you can prove you have a two-way ticket and enough money to live for the planned time of your stay. The days of getting a refund on your return leg of the ticket in order to cheaply dissappear into the US are over and the Immigration guys will be on your trail in the event of an overstay. Some people have been refused re entry even years after short overstays even on recent holidays.

I have known people who worked illegally in the States and were suddenly deported after years of building up a house and savings and a life over there and now they cannot access their money or their house and it will take them years to sort out the mess and rescue something from it all. Many of them are on the dole here in Ireland and in dire poverty because of Trumps anti immigration stance. The fun times are over in Uncle Sams backyard.

doolox wrote: »
    The US has very restricted entry requirements for foreign workers. An employer has to demonstrate that he cannot find a suitably qualified US citizen to do the work required. This is becoming harder to get a visa for by many US companies.

I know that some engineering and software graduates used to get taken on by the parent company of the Irish subsidiary I used to work for but this is happening less frequently because the company sets up facilities in the workers home country because it is cheaper to do so. Modern internet comms make it easier to have many different nationalities collaborating in many different locations in real time as if in the one building. Only large hardware and civil eng projects require relocation of employees and often only highly skilled and rare talents are relocated as it is becoming very costly to do so.

The US is becoming very challenging to live in, high rentals in NY city, San Francisco and the likes are higher than Dublins and the cost of living on food, healthcare and living essentials are also higher. Motor insurance and Health cover are now higher than Irelands in many States and taxes are higher. High local and State taxes mean many people are fleeing high tax States for low tax States. There is also higher rates of crime and race hate violence to contend with. In California many towns have huge problems sourcing enough water for ordinary things like washing, cooking and drinking and it costs a lot. Irish Water is a doddle in comparison. Other States have high risks of floods, storms and natural disasters we do not get in Ireland on the same scale.

In the States holidays are a lot less than Ireland and Social Welfare is very basic compared to Irelands. Many jobless are bussed 60 - 100 miles to minimum wage jobs at their own expense making an 8 hr day into a 12 hr day when the 2hr commute is added ( Busses are very slow in the US). Many States and most people have a very militantly negative view of Welfare and you will not find it pleasant. Without citizenship the only option will be a flight home or deportation if you can't afford it. Many States operate welfare payments in food stamps to prevent people buying other stuff like drink or cigarettes such is the level of control of Welfare spending.

In order to make a go of the US you will have to be very well prepared to not only work long and hard but also to be able to defend your work accuracy , output and effectiveness against stiff competition and hostile criticism at all times. Stuff we do in Ireland such lates after a heavy drinking session or carelessness with company property or casualness in front of customers will result in instant dismissal especially if you are a recent immigrant with little or no rights or protection. Since Trump got in illegal working and undocumented arrangements are much more risky and probably non existent for new travellers. Many people are being turned back by an ever more vigilant and hostile Immigration Service unless you can prove you have a two-way ticket and enough money to live for the planned time of your stay. The days of getting a refund on your return leg of the ticket in order to cheaply dissappear into the US are over and the Immigration guys will be on your trail in the event of an overstay. Some people have been refused re entry even years after short overstays even on recent holidays.

I have known people who worked illegally in the States and were suddenly deported after years of building up a house and savings and a life over there and now they cannot access their money or their house and it will take them years to sort out the mess and rescue something from it all. Many of them are on the dole here in Ireland and in dire poverty because of Trumps anti immigration stance. The fun times are over in Uncle Sams backyard.

I would be emigrating legally and working as hard as I could to become a citizen, never to return to Ireland if I can help it. Plus, Ireland has practically zero influence on the world stage, anything we do here is irrelevant and has no mening except to perpetuate being, in essence, a loser. We do not do anything worthwhile here, and I don’t want to be part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mrhoppy wrote: »
    I would be emigrating legally . . .
    How do you propose to do this? Do you think you qualify for an immigrant visa and, if so, which visa?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    How do you propose to do this? Do you think you qualify for an immigrant visa and, if so, which visa?

Apply (and hopefully get) a green card, be resident in the US for five years, take the US naturalisation test, and do whatever else is necessary. I would have to have a prospective employer in the US willing to sponsor me, or one of my relatives who is a citizen there already.

It’s an I-551 by the way

Regardless, I would be doing anything and everything in my power to move out of Ireland - quite simply there is nothing for me here

Well, if you're in a position to obtain a Green Card, I don't see any problem. You can obtain one and go.

What exactly are you asking us? To approve of your decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

You’re a dreamer.

Well, if you're in a position to obtain a Green Card, I don't see any problem. You can obtain one and go.

What exactly are you asking us? To approve of your decision?

I'm asking for some reconciliation to stay here, of which I can find none

You're asking us to argue you out of your decision? Why would we do that?

The reasons you offer for migrating are:

"I feel there is no opportunity for me in Ireland . . ."

"Ireland has practically zero influence on the world stage . . ."

"We do not do anything worthwhile here, and I don’t want to be part of that."

Obviously, you know your situation better than we do, so if you feel there is no opportunity for you in Ireland, we're not really in a position to contradict you. And, anyway, even if there are in fact opportunities available to you in Ireland, if you don't perceive them they might as well not be there.

As for Ireland's influence on the world stage and Ireland not doing anything worthwhile, I'm not sure I agree with you, but I don't think that matters. If what we do in Ireland does not seem worthwhile to you, it makes little difference to you whether it seems worthwhile to me.

I get the sense that you want to be part of a bigger and more globally visible community than Ireland, and you feel that the US is that community. You should go for it! What have you got to lose? At worst, you face disappointment if, when you get to the US, you find yourself still as dissatisfied as you are here. But, even then, at least you'll have given it a shot.

If you don't go, you'll never know whether you made the right decision. If you do go, at least you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Ok, what about the Carribbean? Or depending on your age, Canada.

South America somewhere either?

You're asking us to argue you out of your decision? Why would we do that?

The reasons you offer for migrating are:

"I feel there is no opportunity for me in Ireland . . ."

"Ireland has practically zero influence on the world stage . . ."

"We do not do anything worthwhile here, and I don’t want to be part of that."

Obviously, you know your situation better than we do, so if you feel there is no opportunity for you in Ireland, we're not really in a position to contradict you. And, anyway, even if there are in fact opportunities available to you in Ireland, if you don't perceive them they might as well not be there.

As for Ireland's influence on the world stage and Ireland not doing anything worthwhile, I'm not sure I agree with you, but I don't think that matters. If what we do in Ireland does not seem worthwhile to you, it makes little difference to you whether it seems worthwhile to me.

I get the sense that you want to be part of a bigger and more globally visible community than Ireland, and you feel that the US is that community. You should go for it! What have you got to lose? At worst, you face disappointment if, when you get to the US, you find yourself still as dissatisfied as you are here. But, even then, at least you'll have given it a shot.

If you don't go, you'll never know whether you made the right decision. If you do go, at least you'll know.

I think it does all come down to perception and viewpoints to be fair.

You would be absolutely right when you say I'd like to be part of a bigger, more globally visible (and impactful) community. I have always felt like I'm part of a laid-back, nonchalant populace that takes nothing seriously and is too incompetent to actually have an impact on the world. Again, I want no part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I feel there is no opportunity for me in Ireland
    Why do you think it'll be different in the US?
    doolox wrote: »
    The US is becoming very challenging to live in, high rentals in NY city, San Francisco and the likes are higher than Dublins
    In San Fran, earning $80,000 is barely surviving, as the rent can costs can be that high!
    Please tell me you’re not attempting to be serious
    The "dreamers" are what the Irish illegals (who overstayed their visa) are referred to in the USA.
    You gave no reasons why it'll be better over then, and no explanation why your life sucks here.
    A lot of people seemed to be asking questions instead of giving answers, not what I was looking for.
    I'm assuming that they wanted to know why moving makes everything better?

the_syco wrote: »
    Why do you think it'll be different in the US?

Better economy, nicer people, and actual opportunities to excel at things. Irish people don't excel at anything except being superficial and pretentious. For scope, I have a few American friends. I have no Irish ones, and there's a reason for that.
    In San Fran, earning $80,000 is barely surviving, as the rent can costs can be that high!

Dublin just became more expensive to live in than Abu Dhabi, Central London and Silicon Valley (for some ridiculous reason). Please tell me how it's any better to live here?

The "dreamers" are what the Irish illegals (who overstayed their visa) are referred to in the USA.

Fair enough, my bad

You gave no reasons why it'll be better over then, and no explanation why your life sucks here.

Better over there: look above

Life sucks here:
    -> Incredibly superficial and pretentious people
    -> No opportunity for someone looking to be more than an average joe
    -> No opportunity for someone looking to excel at anything - the Irish excel at nothing
    -> No proper recreation - explains our drug and alcohol problem
    -> No influence or impact on the world whatsoever

I'm assuming that they wanted to know why moving makes everything better?

They've got a false and unwarranted sense of Irish patriotism, with no reason or explanation for it whatsoever. Being Irish is nothing to be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

-> No influence or impact on the world whatsoever

American farmers drive tractors; the tractor, invented by an Irishman.

The American navy drives submarines; the submarine, invented by an Irishman.

Two examples of the Irish having some impact on the world. I could give you a dozen more, but it seems like the only way you'll figure out just how much inflence Ireland has on the rest of the world's population is by getting out of your discomfort zone, so go for it and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I would be emigrating legally and working as hard as I could to become a citizen, never to return to Ireland if I can help it. Plus, Ireland has practically zero influence on the world stage, anything we do here is irrelevant and has no mening except to perpetuate being, in essence, a loser. We do not do anything worthwhile here, and I don’t want to be part of that.

How will you be emigrating legally? What is your skillset?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

Have you considered the UK? It has the advantage of proximity.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Mrhoppy may enigrate to the us on a short term visa but once that’s up I don’t see any employer wanting to sponsor them due to their sour attitude and lack of work ethic / hunger and they will be back to Ireland again.

Or maybe mrhoppy won’t enigrate, will instead continue to blame everyone else for their unhappiness and run down Irish people and in 5 more months will post another thread.

Ireland definitely punches above its weight in terms of global impact, particularly when it comes to fields like literature, but the US is a vastly bigger, more powerful and more wealthy nation, and in absolutely terms has much more impact on the world than Ireland does. If it matters to the OP to be part of a big, powerful and wealthy nation, well, this is a no-brainer.

As for the US having a "better economy", well, it depends on what you mean by "better". It has a bigger economy, certainly. But, in terms of the welfare/happiness of citizens, there are some problems. The US economy is characterised by high (and growing) levels of inequality, with the result that real wages for ordinary US workers have grown by only 10% since 1973, whereas in Ireland they have doubled in the same period. And, while the OP points to our "drug and alcohol problems", he can hardly be unaware that the US is in the grip of an opioid crisis such that more people die each year from opioid abuse in the US than die in either car accidents or firearms incidents. The two problems are possibly linked; one theory is that the opioid crisis is a response to people's attempt to escape despair and hopelessness at being trapped in widespread long-term social and economic stagnation.

So, yeah. It's possible that the OP is seeing the US through rose-tinted spectacles, grass on the other side of the fence, etc, etc. Plus, to the extent that his lack of opportunity in Ireland is connected with his own circumstances and/or background, it's possible that those circumstances/background may go with him to the US.

Still, as I said above, what has he got to lose by trying? He's in a situation that at the moment he finds unsatisfactory; he needs to break out of that; he thinks going to the US will do that for him; and he certainly seems to be motivated to give it his best shot there. Yes, when he gets there he may find that some things are not quite as different from here as he assumes, and some things are actually worse but, still, he is better off being in a situation where he is motivated to give it a go than being in a situation of which he despairs. If the worst comes to the worst he can always come home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

lawred2 wrote: »
    How will you be emigrating legally? What is your skillset?

Shhhhh. He doesn't like being asked questions! :pac:

But a quick search will show that he did his Leaving a year ago and is (unhappily) studying electronic engineering in ITT.

Which, as it happens, has a working arrangement with my local IT-equivalent in France, where electronic engineering students have the opportunity to work with the global aeronautical engineering companies based in the town (fluent English a standard requirement). But we had that discussion already, so that's obviously not the kind of "get out of Ireland and do something ambitious" that mrhoppy's looking for ... :(

Scratching my head at no proper recreation? What does that mean? Surely recreation is what you make of it yourself and Ireland objectively has a million and one things to be doing.

If you can't find anything to do here you won't find anything to do anywhere else.

Shhhhh. He doesn't like being asked questions! :pac:

But a quick search will show that he did his Leaving a year ago and is (unhappily) studying electronic engineering in ITT.

Which, as it happens, has a working arrangement with my local IT-equivalent in France, where electronic engineering students have the opportunity to work with the global aeronautical engineering companies based in the town (fluent English a standard requirement). But we had that discussion already, so that's obviously not the kind of "get out of Ireland and do something ambitious" that mrhoppy's looking for ... :(

I'd have jumped at that chance

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ireland is doing just fine op, it has its faults, but so does every other country. We re generally a very peaceful country compared to others, yes the cost of living is truly dreadful, particularly in large cities, but it's probably worse in other countries. I'd imagine America is very difficult to live in for most people, but you may get lucky, so best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In SF and the peninsula being below $100k per year = being "lower income".
    The cost of living there is insane. People queue for hours to interview for tiny studios and the privileged to pay up to $2400 a month + parking and utilities for them.

Unless I was on google money I wouldn't even dream of relocating to SF.

Advertisement