Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to the United States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

OP there is feck all soceital difference between Ireland and lots of the US.

So you will find a lot of the smae things that piss you off in Ireland also pissing you off in the US.

But it's a great country and you should try hard to get a chance to live there.

It's a great country to work in, you get well paid for the work you do.

I actually found that there was very little difference between working in IT in Ireland and the US. The work levels and quality of work were just as good in Ireland as they were in the US. But in the US ones good work effort was more appreciated, recognised and rewarded.

Apply for the DV visa in October, and every October, or get a good degree and a few years work experience and look for a company to sponsor you for a H1B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

mrhoppy wrote:
    I would have to have a prospective employer in the US willing to sponsor me, or one of my relatives who is a citizen there already.
    Do you realise that unless your US Citizen relative is your spouse or parent you could be waiting twenty years or more for your priority date? If it’s a parent they’d want to start the process before you turn 21. If they wait until after you’re 21 you’d be in a different category & your waiting time would increase enormously.

What skills/qualifications do you have/intend to have that will give you a fighting chance of a US employer considering going to the expense & effort of petitioning for you?

I realise that you don’t want to be questioned, but often being questioned on ideas that you have helps to separate dreams from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

mrhoppy wrote: »
    I think it does all come down to perception and viewpoints to be fair.

You would be absolutely right when you say I'd like to be part of a bigger, more globally visible (and impactful) community. I have always felt like I'm part of a laid-back, nonchalant populace that takes nothing seriously and is too incompetent to actually have an impact on the world. Again, I want no part of that.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Better economy, nicer people, and actual opportunities to excel at things. Irish people don't excel at anything except being superficial and pretentious. For scope, I have a few American friends. I have no Irish ones, and there's a reason for that.

I'm probably going to regret asking, but what do you think is the reason why you have no Irish friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You would be absolutely right when you say I'd like to be part of a bigger, more globally visible (and impactful) community. I have always felt like I'm part of a laid-back, nonchalant populace that takes nothing seriously and is too incompetent to actually have an impact on the world. Again, I want no part of that.

wtf are you on about? seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

OP opportunities don't magically fall from the sky in American. If you see no opportunities for yourself here then that's not going to change suddenly in the U.S.

TBH OP, you sound a little bitter. Doesn't seem like things are happening for you here, no Irish friends, your ridiculous description of Irish people (I assume you are Irish??? Irony) no doubt borne out of an inability to make friends (it's everyone elses fault!). Your objectively incorrect opinion that there is no opportunity to excel here.

You pave your own path OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tomatofruit

i think there is a flight from Ireland to America later today, id say you would make that if you put the skates on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Pretty sure this guy is taking the Mick at this stage. Op you just did your leaving cert and you say you know Ireland and Irish people and we are no good at anything.... You do know some of the most successful people in the world are Irish? You do know that the European heads of most global tech companies in Europe are Irish? You realise one of the world's favourites credit card processing devices was founded by Irish people... Etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

We're a bunch of incompetant losers with no ambition or influence.

Why do you even want our opinions, OP?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Piss of so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dog tired

If you find out how to emigrate to America, can you let me know please? Because it's a dream for me but at least I realise that.

There was a reply earlier on about family sponsoring you. How does that work? Can a cousin or an aunt sponsor you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dog tired

My advice is get the Canadian working holiday visa, you get a two year visa and go to Toronto or Vancouver which is close to the American border and you can make trips over to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Better economy, nicer people, and actual opportunities to excel at things. Irish people don't excel at anything except being superficial and pretentious. For scope, I have a few American friends. I have no Irish ones, and there's a reason for that.

Dublin just became more expensive to live in than Abu Dhabi, Central London and Silicon Valley (for some ridiculous reason). Please tell me how it's any better to live here?

Fair enough, my bad

Better over there: look above

Life sucks here:
    -> Incredibly superficial and pretentious people
    -> No opportunity for someone looking to be more than an average joe
    -> No opportunity for someone looking to excel at anything - the Irish excel at nothing
    -> No proper recreation - explains our drug and alcohol problem
    -> No influence or impact on the world whatsoever

They've got a false and unwarranted sense of Irish patriotism, with no reason or explanation for it whatsoever. Being Irish is nothing to be proud of.

You're wrong but you'll find out that your attitude will follow you to America, if you even get in, and you'll be just as unhappy there. The problem is you, not us!
    What work have you done, and hope to do, that's got limited opportunities here?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

OP sounds deeply unhappy. I don't think emigrating to the US will sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm living in Toronto now. There is a difference between people here and in Ireland, but it's generally more a difference of strangers in Ireland, and strangers in Toronto, as opposed to people you know.

My point is; once you know the person, the difference isn't really there.
    Dublin just became more expensive to live in than Abu Dhabi, Central London and Silicon Valley (for some ridiculous reason). Please tell me how it's any better to live here?
    Dublin is only more expensive to live in, as there is a housing shortage, and no houses are being built. It seems anywhere in America that has more jobs, it's more expensive to live there.
    -> No opportunity for someone looking to be more than an average joe
    You'll find that the average joe only has average qualifications and average money. Unless you have money, you won't get far.
    -> No opportunity for someone looking to excel at anything - the Irish excel at nothing
    You can excel in Ireland; but you'll find those that excel can often be the pretentious people you dislike.
    -> No proper recreation - explains our drug and alcohol problem
    In Ireland, the drug problem doesn't affect you for the most part.

In America, I'd recommend moving to a state where you can get a concealed carry license, and perhaps get a 1911 with FMJ rounds for when the drug problem encounters you, or your family.
    -> No influence or impact on the world whatsoever
    If you want to influence the world, join the Irish defense forces, and you'll impact the world each time you put your life in danger protecting someone in a foreign country.
    They've got a false and unwarranted sense of Irish patriotism, with no reason or explanation for it whatsoever. Being Irish is nothing to be proud of.
    American patriotism is on another level compared to Irish patriotism!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Apply (and hopefully get) a green card, be resident in the US for five years, take the US naturalisation test, and do whatever else is necessary. I would have to have a prospective employer in the US willing to sponsor me, or one of my relatives who is a citizen there already.

It’s an I-551 by the way

Just to give you some heads up on the timeframe for family sponsored visas. I received my IR1 visa about a month ago, my wife is American and has been living in Ireland for 14 years. The process is really tough and I was actually refused initially at the embassy stage because my wife had been out of the US so long.

I eventually got my visa after satisfying what the embassy needed. Now when it comes to my kids there are from my first marriage but I am married to my US wife 10 years so she can sponsor my kids as her own. For my 18 year old we would need file an I-130 before she is 21 or she would age out. The process takes about 12-15 months, she is going to start college here and decide next year if she wants me to apply for her. My 24 year old has aged out and the process would now take 5-7 years to get her a visa. Oddly if the situation was reversed and she was trying to sponsor us it would only take about a year. For each of those visas including medical I wouldn't get much change out of two grand for each application.

Brother or sister's, aunts or uncles trying to sponsor you will find out very easily that it's just not worth going through the process for you because you would be in such a low visa category. So as has been mentioned maybe 20 years. It seems to be a common belief that having a family member in America gets you a guaranteed visa straight away, the shock when they find out the reality. Plenty of immigration forums about, I recommend visajourney. To get in through family you need parent, two grand and 12-15 months wait time. With a parent and under 21 your in the immediate family category over 21 and its family preference category and a much longer time.

Oddly it's my 24 year old that would like to move and it's sad trying to explain she does not count as immediate family for a visa application.

Best of luck in what you decide to do with your life, but research research research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

the_syco wrote: »
    In America, I'd recommend moving to a state where you can get a concealed carry license, and perhaps get a 1911 with FMJ rounds for when the drug problem encounters you, or your family.

Hollow-points, not FMJ. Makes bigger wounds and goes through fewer of your neighbors' walls when you miss (remember that American houses are generally made out of sawdust and glue, not concrete and masonry; over-penetration is bad, mmmkay?). Also, don't be one of those people that try to "conceal" carry a full-frame 1911; get yourself a Beretta Nano or a Glock G43 or something, or if you must have a .45, go for a Sig P250 or a Walther PPQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrhoppy

Pretty sure this guy is taking the Mick at this stage. Op you just did your leaving cert and you say you know Ireland and Irish people and we are no good at anything.... You do know some of the most successful people in the world are Irish? You do know that the European heads of most global tech companies in Europe are Irish? You realise one of the world's favourites credit card processing devices was founded by Irish people... Etc etc...

LC finished last year jus sayin

The Irish have got such a casual outlook on life that they seem to have stopped expecting things to be done well, or in some cases, at all. Yes, the Irish are very relaxed. But they don’t excel at anything, or care about doing so. That’s more what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

The Irish have got such a casual outlook on life that they seem to have stopped expecting things to be done well, or in some cases, at all. Yes, the Irish are very relaxed. But they don’t excel at anything, or care about doing so. That’s more what I mean.

What nationality are you yourself?

Pelvis wrote: »
    OP opportunities don't magically fall from the sky in American. If you see no opportunities for yourself here then that's not going to change suddenly in the U.S.

TBH OP, you sound a little bitter. Doesn't seem like things are happening for you here, no Irish friends, your ridiculous description of Irish people (I assume you are Irish??? Irony) no doubt borne out of an inability to make friends (it's everyone elses fault!). Your objectively incorrect opinion that there is no opportunity to excel here.

You pave your own path OP.

You’re right - things “aren’t happening” for me here, explaining why I seek to emigrate.

Give me a solid, valid reason that I can’t counter as to why anyone should even consider staying here and I may see where you’re coming from. Maybe it’s just from my own experience, which explains the difference in perception, but honestly and genuinely for me I see no reason to stay

• Advertisement

You don't half talk shoite.

What's this referring to 'the Irish' business? Are you not Irish yourself?

Can you give some examples which would attest to this casual nature of 'the Irish'?

You’re right - things “aren’t happening” for me here, explaining why I seek to emigrate.

Give me a solid, valid reason that I can’t counter as to why anyone should even consider staying here and I may see where you’re coming from. Maybe it’s just from my own experience, which explains the difference in perception, but honestly and genuinely for me I see no reason to stay

You're in first year of college right!? What exactly do you expect to be 'happening' for you? As it stands you're a nobody with no skills.

A very unlikely candidate to ever be sponsored as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

lawred2 wrote: »
    You don't half talk shoite.

What's this referring to 'the Irish' business? Are you not Irish yourself?

Can you give some examples which would attest to this casual nature of 'the Irish'?

Name 3 things we’ve done well in the last 20 years

I prefer not to call myself Irish, it’s a badge of shame

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I feel so sorry for her if she thinks Ireland is nice

The scenery is ok. Go to other parts of Europe, Ireland will be no more than a distant memory that you’ll be desperate to forget about.

Just wait until you see Irish winters, then you’ll never want to be here again

The people are superficially friendly, as soon as you walk away from them they will talk about you behind your back. The Irish have a very apprehensive attitude at best towards Americans, trust me, they’re being superficially nice.

Great place to raise a family? You must be joking - I’m not going to even indulge that, you may forget about raising a family here. You will regret it if you try.

Ah, the old fiddle and flute and badhrán ****e. Don’t make me laugh.

Move to Abu Dhabi, central London or Silicon Valley - as of two days ago all of those are less expensive to live in than Dublin and surrounding areas.

Do yourself and others a favour, tell them never to come here. It looks nice on the surface but once you’re here a while you’ll see how horrible it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Yikes.

HDMI wrote: »
    Just to give you some heads up on the timeframe for family sponsored visas. I received my IR1 visa about a month ago, my wife is American and has been living in Ireland for 14 years. The process is really tough and I was actually refused initially at the embassy stage because my wife had been out of the US so long.

I eventually got my visa after satisfying what the embassy needed. Now when it comes to my kids there are from my first marriage but I am married to my US wife 10 years so she can sponsor my kids as her own. For my 18 year old we would need file an I-130 before she is 21 or she would age out. The process takes about 12-15 months, she is going to start college here and decide next year if she wants me to apply for her. My 24 year old has aged out and the process would now take 5-7 years to get her a visa. Oddly if the situation was reversed and she was trying to sponsor us it would only take about a year. For each of those visas including medical I wouldn't get much change out of two grand for each application.

Brother or sister's, aunts or uncles trying to sponsor you will find out very easily that it's just not worth going through the process for you because you would be in such a low visa category. So as has been mentioned maybe 20 years. It seems to be a common belief that having a family member in America gets you a guaranteed visa straight away, the shock when they find out the reality. Plenty of immigration forums about, I recommend visajourney. To get in through family you need parent, two grand and 12-15 months wait time. With a parent and under 21 your in the immediate family category over 21 and its family preference category and a much longer time.

Oddly it's my 24 year old that would like to move and it's sad trying to explain she does not count as immediate family for a visa application.

Best of luck in what you decide to do with your life, but research research research.

I would go through all of that ten times over if it meant I never had to see this place again.

By the way, tell her it’s better that she doesn’t study here, although it depends on where she’s studying. Most places’ degrees are useless in most parts of the world. The degrees of the college I used to go to (and thankfully dropped out of) were only useful in Ireland, the UK, France and Poland, none of which I intended to be in later in life

Name 3 things we’ve done well in the last 20 years

I prefer not to call myself Irish, it’s a badge of shame

You would want to get some help with that self loathing... It'll follow you no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Having lived in the States and spent a couple months in Canada I really can only say that your perspective of life abroad sounds like it's from someone who has never actually spent time abroad.
    Ireland is a fantastic country which certainly has many faults like most other countries.

If you're to move, do it because you have a skillset and a career/life plan and reason for going.

• Advertisement

I would go through all of that ten times over if it meant I never had to see this place again.

By the way, tell her it’s better that she doesn’t study here, although it depends on where she’s studying. Most places’ degrees are useless in most parts of the world. The degrees of the college I used to go to (and thankfully dropped out of) were only useful in Ireland, the UK, France and Poland, none of which I intended to be in later in life

So you've actually dropped out of college!? Well you can put an end to that pipe dream of emigrating to the US then.

Advertisement