Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to the United States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

some people would just be miserable and begrudging no matter where they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

mrhoppy wrote: »
    I have been abroad, many times. In each case I have never wanted to return back home.

On holidays with spending money, or trying to make a living? Because I can tell you, every time I've been on holidays, I've never wanted to return back home... nothing to do with Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Give me a solid, valid reason that I can’t counter as to why anyone should even consider staying here and I may see where you’re coming from. Maybe it’s just from my own experience, which explains the difference in perception, but honestly and genuinely for me I see no reason to stay

For one, cost of counselling (or 'therapy' as they call it in the States) is much cheaper here, something you seem to need badly to help you work through your anger and resentment issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Picture the scene - OP on a J1 in Boston.

Hi, where are you from?

Ireland.

Ireland? I love Ireland!

I hate it. It's a shïthole.

But the Irish are such a lovely people!

I hate them.

WTF? (walks away muttering 'Weirdo')

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

"Many people are being turned back by an ever more vigilant and hostile Immigration Service"

I go over and back to the USA every 5-6 months to get away and visit relations for the last 12 years. I haven't noticed a more hostile immigration service or it any harder to get in to visit since Trump got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hope you read this thread again when you're 30 OP. You'll cringe at what you were saying. When I finished my MA back in 2004 I had a similar attitude about Ireland, felt it was a place where people are too resigned and blah blah blah. I moved to Hungary, enjoyed it, met my future (American) wife, then came back to Ireland.

I live in America now. There's a lot to love about the place, but two lessons you need to learn are:
    1. Everyone is looking to put their hand in your pocket, especially when you're getting set up.
    2. Nobody gives a fcuk.

Lesson 2 there is the main one. You can start learning it right here on this thread though. You seem to think it's someone's job to persuade you to stay here, as if we are all clamouring for you to stay in Ireland. We're not. Nobody gives a fcuk. If you don't like it, leave.

But your reasoning seems to be based on a very high estimate of your own worth in the grand scheme of things. Irish people don't achieve anything and there's no opportunity to excel. What points did you get in your leaving cert? There's an underlying sense that you just feel underappreciated at home, that once you're away from all these parochial gombeens you'll be appreciated for the brilliant young man (I assume you're a man, women don't do that amount of self-aggrandising complaining) you no doubt are.

But the thing is, in America, nobody gives a fcuk. They aren't interested in what your potential is, or what you think you're worth. They're interested in what you can do for them. Oh you just finished school? And dropped out of college? Then you can make me my sandwich and shut the fcuk up.

Americans are friendlier than Irish people? Are they fcuk. They are a great bunch of people, but everyone is looking to get theirs, they don't give two sh1ts about you. Which is the same reason that if you get sick, or lose your job, all that friendliness isn't going to translate into a single thing. Nobody, NOBODY, gives a fcuk about you if you fail in America. You are your own responsibility here.

You don't seem all that clear on where you want to live necessarily, but the idea that public transport in Dublin is just as bad as over here? That's dreamland. Come to Texas some time (don't come to my town, no room here, sorry) and try and get from a suburb into Dallas some time.

That's only child's play compared to health issues. You are complaining about the trolleys at home. See how you get on over here without health insurance. Hell, even with it, getting sick could be a total disaster. They are only interested in clawing as much money as they can out of you. If the health system looks better here, it's because only rich people can access it. Other than that, nobody gives a fcuk.

And go try the welfare office if you can't find a job. I'm sure they'd love to hear your back story.

Mine, briefly, is that I was a college lecturer in Ireland, pretty good job. Came over to do a pretty prestigious postdoc on a J1 (married my wife while I was over here, thus becoming eligible for a green card). Not saying all that to brag, but it puts what happened after in perspective. Moved to Texas with my wife and for the first six months had NO job (and no dole to tide me over), eventually got an adjunct professorship. Google it if you like but basically it means you work for atrocious wages (I taught four courses and earned about 8000 dollars in four months, with no benefits). I had to get up at four in the morning to make it to work on the other side of Dallas Fort Worth navigating their "just as good as Dublin" transport system. Did that for nine months or so then got TWO adjunct jobs in my own town. Taught fourteen courses in a year to scratch 30,000 dollars with health insurance. And then recently, finally, got a good spot as a visiting assistant professor. That's with massive qualifications, experience, a research record as good as anyone.

Now that's not everyone's experience, and if you're in a different area of expertise then there's opportunities for sure, if you can get into the country to begin with. But you don't have an area.

So come on over. This is a great country, I'm glad I came here in a lot of ways. But I miss Ireland every day, and everything was easier over there too. But don't think for a second that the people are somehow better (they aren't), the opportunities are all around (they aren't, you make them yourself, often from nothing, and with a lot of luck), or that people will be delighted to have you. They won't. They don't give a fcuk, except about what they can get out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Micky 32 wrote: »
    "Many people are being turned back by an ever more vigilant and hostile Immigration Service"

I go over and back to the USA every 5-6 months to get away and visit relations for the last 12 years. I haven't noticed a more hostile immigration service or it any harder to get in to visit since Trump got in.

Every 5-6 months?
    Wow, you might qualify for a green card :D

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    OP, you seem to be making a great deal of attractive assumptions about what America is and what it can (and will) do for you... And hell-bent on giving up your birthright for such flagrant misconceptions. Sad to say, you will be in for a rude awakening. Harsh reality: getting by in the states is (and can be) very difficult, expensive, cold and heartless; with unfair bureaucracy at every turn... If you are expecting any sense of community (or support), well, that is a laugh! Be intelligent about this - you have asked (twice) for advice - wisely listen to the real life experiences.

Feels like the grass is greener? Nah, it's just spray painted to look like that way...
    Honestly it doesn't sound like he's asking for advice, he's here to tell everyone what's what, like many teenagers. I don't think he'll be told. That's why I think the only advice worth giving is to read this thread again in ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Honestly it doesn't sound like he's asking for advice, he's here to tell everyone what's what, like many teenagers. I don't think he'll be told. That's why I think the only advice worth giving is to read this thread again in ten years.

He doesn’t want advice he’s trying to get a rise out of people to justify his loathing of Irish people. Having no friends by the time your in college and dropping out of college would suggest that the OP is the problem and not the people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Wouldn't fancy it myself...especially now with Trump and his strict policies! But good luck to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gingergirl wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy it myself...especially now with Trump and his strict policies! But good luck to you

What exactly is that supposed to mean ?

What are "Trump's strict policies" and how
    exactly will they afeect you or any other Irish person over there in their day to day lives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

There is a rise in anti-immigration sentiment in the US, and an increase in harsher policies targeting undocumented immigrants which can sometimes sweep up people who are there legally as well. Right now that mindset is not really aimed at Irish immigrants, or Europeans in general, for the most part, but that could change, and once ICE starts expanding their search for bodies to fill their shiny new privately-owned detention centers while their immigration status is being "investigated" indefinitely, they might not overlook Irish immigrants so easily either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Some very sweeping generalizations in this thread.

Sure, if you're in a big city like New York or Los Angeles, it's going to be harder to find a sense of community. Similar things could be said of many large European cities. But in regions like the South and the Midwest, especially in the smaller cities and towns, there is a real and genuine sense of community where people do care about one another and look out for one another.

We live in North Carolina, where people tend to be warm and community oriented. When we moved into our house, lots of neighbors came to introduce themselves, many bringing homemade baked goods and other gifts to welcome us. When our twins were born, we got so many presents and offers of help.

Many Irish believe that America is a cruel, heartless, dog-eat-dog society. While that aspect exists, mostly in the large cities, it's nowhere near as universal as many think. There are many other sides to the country as well.[/quote]
    I agree there's a great sense of community in small towns, Indiana was very welcoming and I love the town I'm in now in Texas too, really cool place far enough away from Dallas to have its own identity. But there's a difference between a few welcome to the neighborhood cakes and a real social support network for people experiencing genuine difficulty though. If you're on a green card you won't even get what little support there is. And those cakes won't pay a medical bill. It's just a matter of being realistic about what to expect from emigrating. And especially if a lot of your resentment is internal to yourself, as in the case of the op, America will be a big disappointment.

But you're right that there's a bit of exaggeration here including by me, but it's an important corrective to the Rosey, "I went on holidays there once" perspective the op is bringing to the conversation. But if you go in the right frame of mind and with the right prospects, it's a spectacularly good place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Name 3 things we’ve done well in the last 20 years

I prefer not to call myself Irish, it’s a badge of shame

I think that you’d better off leave. You’ve nothing to offer Ireland. I sincerely doubt that you’ve anything to offer America either. You’ve no qualifications. No experience. No hope of getting either with your negativity. Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

One day you’ll realise how great Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'd imagine most Irish people who go to the US with visas in hand are the type that know what they are getting into and are successful there. They are skilled, educated etc etc so they can get good jobs.

People who go over illegally are more of a mixed bag, some will realise early on that they cannot hack it and use the "safety valve" of returning to Ireland. Others will thrive regardless of their residency situation.

There was talk a while back of the Trump administration ditching the DV lottery visas in favour of a more points based system like Australia, NZ and Canada have.

That would be good for Irish people, no longer would the green card distribution be based and weighted on place of birth, but instead would be based on education, skills and the ability to speak English, and this suits us as we are a well educated, English speaking population.

Whether any of this suits the OP, I'm not sure.

Name 3 things we’ve done well in the last 20 years

I prefer not to call myself Irish, it’s a badge of shame

I think that you’d better off leave. You’ve nothing to offer Ireland. I sincerely doubt that you’ve anything to offer America either. You’ve no qualifications. No experience. No hope of getting either with your negativity. Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

My question for the op would be, when he asks us to name 3 things"the Irish" have done well, to tell us 3 things he's done well. And how those distinguish him from the rest of us misfortunate potato heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I feel so sorry for her if she thinks Ireland is nice

The scenery is ok. Go to other parts of Europe, Ireland will be no more than a distant memory that you’ll be desperate to forget about.

Just wait until you see Irish winters, then you’ll never want to be here again
    You've never encountered a US winter in, say, NYC, Boston, Chicago, ... Hint: snow and ice and temperatures substantially below freezing for prolonged periods of time.

Seattle and the PNW are closest to Ireland's winters in that it rains a lot there.
    The people are superficially friendly, as soon as you walk away from them they will talk about you behind your back. The Irish have a very apprehensive attitude at best towards Americans, trust me, they’re being superficially nice.
    Yah, Americans are great. Never talk behind your back. Vote for good guys like Donald Trump. Yah, just ducky.
    Great place to raise a family? You must be joking - I’m not going to even indulge that, you may forget about raising a family here. You will regret it if you try.
    Yep, provide for your own healthcare in the US out of your own pocket (or an employer's insurance, if you're lucky). Makes it so much easier to raise a family, after all, kids don't get sick. Oh, and the quality and safety of US schools, sure, much better place.
    Ah, the old fiddle and flute and badhrán ****e. Don’t make me laugh.

Move to Abu Dhabi, central London or Silicon Valley - as of two days ago all of those are less expensive to live in than Dublin and surrounding areas.
    Good luck buying a house in Silicon Valley for under $1,000,000 US. House. Not townhouse. Not condo. House.

Are they that high in Dublin?

Do yourself and others a favour, tell them never to come here. It looks nice on the surface but once you’re here a while you’ll see how horrible it is.

This is the one point I agree with you on. As a happily resettled expat American, I don't want my countrymen coming here and ruining the place for the rest of us. Selfish, I know, but wtf. Stay the fcuk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

OP you should change your username to Walter Mitty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I have a cousin that is a lawyer in the states and they can't help me. Your chances are as slim as mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I have been abroad, many times. In each case I have never wanted to return back home.

In what way is Ireland “fantastic”?

The person you replied to lived in the US, you have only ever visited abroad. When you live somewhere you can talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrhoppy

I wouldn’t want to contribute to Ireland if I had a choice between that and getting shot directly up the arse. I’d rather take the bullet. But that’s besides the point.

The claim that Ireland is “great” is baseless and unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrhoppy

Igotadose wrote: »
    You've never encountered a US winter in, say, NYC, Boston, Chicago, ... Hint: snow and ice and temperatures substantially below freezing for prolonged periods of time.

Seattle and the PNW are closest to Ireland's winters in that it rains a lot there.

Yah, Americans are great. Never talk behind your back. Vote for good guys like Donald Trump. Yah, just ducky.

Yep, provide for your own healthcare in the US out of your own pocket (or an employer's insurance, if you're lucky). Makes it so much easier to raise a family, after all, kids don't get sick. Oh, and the quality and safety of US schools, sure, much better place.

Good luck buying a house in Silicon Valley for under $1,000,000 US. House. Not townhouse. Not condo. House.

Are they that high in Dublin?

This is the one point I agree with you on. As a happily resettled expat American, I don't want my countrymen coming here and ruining the place for the rest of us. Selfish, I know, but wtf. Stay the fcuk away.

I would rather be under a few feet of snow and still keep going than live in a pathetic little country that comes to a complete standstill after about two inches of the stuff.

We have Leo Varadkar. Someone who would rather kiss the ass of the EU than actually look after his own people. Your point is?

If you work hard and make a living for yourself, you deserve to have enough money to pay for the best quality healthcare. If you’re reliant on welfare while making zero effort to work, then no, you don’t. Ireland is a welfare state, and it’s sickening.

Oh I’m not your “countryman”. A countryman would be proud of where he’s from and try to promote it, I never wish to hear of Ireland again after I’ve left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I would rather be under a few feet of snow and still keep going than live in a pathetic little country that comes to a complete standstill after about two inches of the stuff.

We have Leo Varadkar. Someone who would rather kiss the ass of the EU than actually look after his own people. Your point is?
    That he's unlikely to engage in nuclear war due to some perceived slight, anytime soon. Oh, and crash the world economy for sh1ts and giggles.

If you work hard and make a living for yourself, you deserve to have enough money to pay for the best quality healthcare. If you’re reliant on welfare while making zero effort to work, then no, you don’t. Ireland is a welfare state, and it’s sickening.
    Bulk of US bankruptcies are due to medical bills. So.. how much would you have to earn to say, pay for a $3,000 colonoscopy every few years (just an example I happen to know). Or a $30,000 appendectomy? What if you've got a preexisting condition and insurace decides to reciss you and you're now liable for that $100,000 hip replacement?

And on...and on...
    Oh I’m not your “countryman”. A countryman would be proud of where he’s from and try to promote it, I never wish to hear of Ireland again after I’ve left.

I meant Americans coming here (they're my countrymen, originally.) But, if you loathe Ireland so much, do try emigrating. There's the rest of the EU, too - and they speak English in Malta, that'd make it easy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe the op just needs to leave the country for a while, I would recommend spending some time in some developing countries, it may make them realise, Ireland isn't really all that bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dog tired

I wouldn’t want to contribute to Ireland if I had a choice between that and getting shot directly up the arse. I’d rather take the bullet. But that’s besides the point.

Go to UK so, or France or Spain and you can be out of here tomorrow if you wanted. What's stopping you?

Let us know how you get on. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

To quote Confucius “Whereever you go, there you are”

OP I think you’d be unhappy wherever you are. I propose that you apply to do your engineering course in the UK. It will give you an immediate change of scenery. Work as hard as you can to get top marks and a good graduate job then take things from there. You are years away from any chance of going to the US so concentrate on the here and now, make small steps towards your dreams (good results, save money) and hopefully things will work out well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

OP I think you’d be unhappy wherever you are. I propose that you apply to do your engineering course in the UK. It will give you an immediate change of scenery. Work as hard as you can to get top marks and a good graduate job then take things from there. You are years away from any chance of going to the US so concentrate on the here and now, make small steps towards your dreams (good results, save money) and hopefully things will work out well for you.

Pretty good advice, but I'd also maybe include some counselling

Advertisement