Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to the United States

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

mrhoppy wrote: »
    I wouldn’t want to contribute to Ireland if I had a choice between that and getting shot directly up the arse. I’d rather take the bullet. But that’s besides the point.

The claim that Ireland is “great” is baseless and unwarranted.

Well the good news for you is if you do make it into the US the chances of getting shot in the arse are infinitely higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

I think the thread is going round in circles.

Op, if you are genuine (and that's a big if) start making moves to go. Do the green card lottery or the J1 or whatever...

BUT, you have no qualifications, I'd image very little funds and it seems no plan to survive. Work hard? At what? There are 200m people working their balls off over there and they are still struggling. I'm not sure what you are expecting America to do for you? Are you aware of what ICE are doing over there? You give out about Varadkar not caring about his people but willing to move to a country where the GOP and Donald Trump are in power?

Again, if you want to go, go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This isn't a thread about moving to America, it's about complaining about Ireland. I thought that's what after hours was for. Op, you're all talk. Fcuk off to America. Change the world, one moany-hole complaint at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

MrHoppy you need to stop looking outward to blame others and Ireland for your unhappiness, only you can control your happiness. A change of scenery wont change how you feel on the inside.

Negative people attract negativity. Because you came here trashing Ireland and saying how great America is, the people in this thread returned the negativity and started thrashing* America and your attitude. Put it this way, if i met you in a bar back home and you starting talking extremely negative about everything, i wouldn't want to hang out with you. Listening to people being negative all the time is exhausting. So if you have a negative attitude to life in Ireland, no sh1t you're going to have negative outcomes in your life. Life is what you make it.

I've lived in the US for 10 years now and i quiet enjoy my life here but i'm lucky and i'm in the right stage of my life to maximize the benefits of the US. I have a good job in a good field and i married but no kids. So life is easy for me. I live in a really nice apartment building in the center of Boston, i walk 5 mins to work, go out to eat and drink several times a week. I get 28 days of vacation so i get to travel a lot.

With all that being said. My current situation is great but if myself and the wife ever decided we want to settle down properly and be real adults, no chance we are doing it in America. We can't afford to buy an apartment in the city so we'll have to buy a house in the suburbs and commute at least an hour in and out of the city each day. If we have kids and want to send them to public school, we'll have to move into an extremely expensive suburb otherwise we'd have to send them to private school (both options are extremely expensive). 3rd Level education is a joke here, we need to plan putting aside $200,000 per kid you plan to have. So if we settle down for real, we'll be doing it in Ireland. Thats not even getting into the other negative aspects of life in America which are mind boggling to an Irish person, polarizing politics, gun violence and violence in general, the opioid crisis, racism, etc. Most of those topics, i actively try to ignore as you'd go mad trying to understand why certain things as so fcuked up in the US.

*thrashing is a strong word, what i mean is that people were emphasizing the negative aspects of america. Thrashing was easier to write :)

Advertisement