Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopping smoothly

• 14-06-2018 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

I’m having trouble stopping at stop signs in a smooth and consistent manner.

So let’s say I’m approaching in fourth and travelling at 50km/hr, I release the acc at the junction sign and check mirrors and then signal. I then position and start breaking. This part is fine. I then change to second, say 15m from the stop(but I’m not sure when I should be doing this exactly), and get my foot off the clutch. I then clutch again around 5 meters from the line. I’m not sure if I’m breaking all the time once changing gear to second to the actual stop, should I be?

The problem I have is that I sometimes stop too abruptly or in some cases I have to acc slightly after having changed to second as I feel i am lacking momentum to bring me to the stop line. Is it wrong to have to accelerate like this? Even if there is an incline?

What parameters should I be following in order to stop more smoothly? I’m driving a vw passat estate 2006.

Thanks for your help!
    Barry

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like you are applying too much braking force too early. Keep practicing. You'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I find when I come up to a junction, just prior to coming to a complete stop, I release the brake and then re-apply pressure slowly. It makes for a much smoother stop.

What I also tend to do is use much of my clutch control to lower speed, it will slow you down considerably when used in conjunction with braking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

I don't understand why people change down the gears when coming to a stop. Changing the gears doesn't slow the car down.

If you're preparing to stop,. take foot off the accelerator. touch breaks if you need to. If you need to change gear down (low revs) then do so,. I generally don't go to first until I'm at a complete stop. Just use the break gently.
    Roll up to a stop rather than driving at it and stopping sharply.

As you're learning you will tend to overthink all these issues, especially if you have a test coming up. But practice makes perfect, soon you will do it without even realising it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

TheShow wrote: »
    I don't understand why people change down the gears when coming to a stop. Changing the gears doesn't slow the car down.

If you're preparing to stop,. take foot off the accelerator. touch breaks if you need to. If you need to change gear down (low revs) then do so,. I generally don't go to first until I'm at a complete stop. Just use the break gently.

As you're learning you will tend to overthink all these issues, especially if you have a test coming up. But practice makes perfect, soon you will do it without even realising it.

By changing gears you are able to brake using the gearing/engine. Very important skill to have especially in icy conditions where you shouldn't brake using the brakes. When coming up to red traffic lights I would hardly ever use the brake actually. Less wear on the pads too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The clutch is not a binary mechanism, ie, it's not either on or off. In order to smoothly brake and accelerate there will be a brief time when the clutch is partially engaged. This is called 'slipping' but it's a normal part of driving. And clutches are designed to allow this for short periods of time (don't spend too long with your clutch partially engaged on a hill for example)

When you're transitioning from a high gear to a lower one, you can slowly let off the clutch while the engine speed syncs up with the drive train. your revs will go up but the car shouldn't shudder or jerk forward or jerk to a stop.
    It's practice and getting the feel for your car.

People can burn out their clutch in no time by letting it slip for way too long while taking off from 1st into 2nd or from 2nd into 3rd. Your revs should never really go up while changing up a gear (unless you're a rally car driver who intentionally does this to avoid loss of power), but while changing down gears and slowing to a stop, it's ok to allow the clutch to slip a little and use engine braking to slow down (still use the brakes as well obviously). It actually saves fuel and reduces wear on your brake pads and tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

You need to be prepared to accelerate again. If you're in 4th and going 15km/h, you're going to have to shift down in order to accelerate promptly. People just get lazy when they've been driving for so long and don't shift down or shift into neutral, which is bad practise, in my opinion at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Akrasia wrote: »
    The clutch is not a binary mechanism, ie, it's not either on or off. In order to smoothly brake and accelerate there will be a brief time when the clutch is partially engaged. This is called 'slipping' but it's a normal part of driving. And clutches are designed to allow this for short periods of time (don't spend too long with your clutch partially engaged on a hill for example)

When you're transitioning from a high gear to a lower one, you can slowly let off the clutch while the engine speed syncs up with the drive train. your revs will go up but the car shouldn't shudder or jerk forward or jerk to a stop.
    It's practice and getting the feel for your car.

People can burn out their clutch in no time by letting it slip for way too long while taking off from 1st into 2nd or from 2nd into 3rd. Your revs should never really go up while changing up a gear (unless you're a rally car driver who intentionally does this to avoid loss of power), but while changing down gears and slowing to a stop, it's ok to allow the clutch to slip a little and use engine braking to slow down (still use the brakes as well obviously). It actually saves fuel and reduces wear on your brake pads and tyres.
    It also can mean that the car is in a good gear to go if the car didn't come to a stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Changing down gears does slow the car down. If simply lifting the accelerator is enough for you to slow down enough to stop drastically, then you're probably driving around in way too high of a gear most of the time. (note, I'm talking about stopping at a junction from 50kph, not nudging forward in a traffic jam)

If you're not going down gears until you're at a complete stop, then you're probably using your clutch to stop the engine from cutting out. this is called coasting and doing this will fail your driving test. If you're 'rolling to a stop' you should have your foot on the brake the entire time your foot is on the clutch.

When driving your engine should be engaged all the time except when changing gear or stopped. The clutch is for moving off from a start and changing gear, not rolling to a stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

Akrasia wrote: »
    Changing down gears does slow the car down. If simply lifting the accelerator is enough for you to slow down enough to stop drastically, then you're probably driving around in way too high of a gear most of the time. (note, I'm talking about stopping at a junction from 50kph, not nudging forward in a traffic jam)

If you're not going down gears until you're at a complete stop, then you're probably using your clutch to stop the engine from cutting out. this is called coasting and doing this will fail your driving test. If you're 'rolling to a stop' you should have your foot on the brake the entire time your foot is on the clutch.

When driving your engine should be engaged all the time except when changing gear or stopped. The clutch is for moving off from a start and changing gear, not rolling to a stop.

I don't coast, car in gear, foot off accelerator. touching breaks as I require to control the car and changing the gear if its is required by the sound of the engine, level of revs etc, not just for the sake of it.
    My point was that people focus too much on changing down through the gears back to first when stopping, when it is not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Amazing the number of people who spell breaks instead of brakes.

I realise this isn't a spelling forum btw :D

I don't coast, car in gear, foot off accelerator. touching breaks as I require to control the car and changing the gear if its is required by the sound of the engine, level of revs etc, not just for the sake of it.
    My point was that people focus too much on changing down through the gears back to first when stopping, when it is not necessary.

By changing gears, you save having to use the pads, keep front wheels cleaner and save fuel. You have to change anyway as most cars, especially petrols will stall unless you are coasting.

I do agree no need to change gears for the sake of it but most people don't change gears enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

djan wrote: »
    By changing gears you are able to brake using the gearing/engine. Very important skill to have especially in icy conditions where you shouldn't brake using the brakes. When coming up to red traffic lights I would hardly ever use the brake actually. Less wear on the pads too!
    By changing gears, you save having to use the pads, keep front wheels cleaner and save fuel. You have to change anyway as most cars, especially petrols will stall unless you are coasting.

Gears to go, brakes to slow. In the situation that the OP describes, approaching a stop sign, they should begin braking in 4th gear and simply clutch in before stopping. No gear changes required in this instance. And most instructors would have students practice this. The idea of saving your pads is ludicrous. Pads are very cheap, clutches are not. Any car in the last 25 years should be able to stop without any need for engine braking in normal circumstances. All that being said being able to come down through the gears is still a required skill, approaching turns left or right would require changing to 2nd before turning etc. It's just not required in the OP's scenario.

You mention stalling/coasting. It is not a problem to clutch in before the engine labours when stopping in 4th. The reality is that pressing the clutch will still happen at a low speed, even in 4th gear (for most cars).

So in answer to your question OP. It sounds to me that you are braking too soon, you should be able to stop in one smooth motion. There should be no need to accelerate before the stop sign as you describe. My process would be:

1. Cruising in 4th at 50km/h. Stop sign ahead.
    2. Remove foot from accelerator and begin to gently brake.
    3. Slow to in and around 10km/h or so, or listen/feel for the engine and clutch in before any sign of it stalling/struggling.
    4. Stop.

It's very hard to give you distances to use, or specifics about when exactly to clutch. But you shouldn't need them. This is the kind of question that will become obvious with more practice.

Gears to go, brakes to slow. In the situation that the OP describes, approaching a stop sign, they should begin braking in 4th gear and simply clutch in before stopping. No gear changes required in this instance. And most instructors would have students practice this. The idea of saving your pads is ludicrous. Pads are very cheap, clutches are not. Any car in the last 25 years should be able to stop without any need for engine braking in normal circumstances. All that being said being able to come down through the gears is still a required skill, approaching turns left or right would require changing to 2nd before turning etc. It's just not required in the OP's scenario.

You mention stalling/coasting. It is not a problem to clutch in before the engine labours when stopping in 4th. The reality is that pressing the clutch will still happen at a low speed, even in 4th gear (for most cars).

Gears are for both, if you can brake using the engine and gears, what reason is there to use brakes? I'm not saying one would make some substantial savings on pads etc. merely its a positive side benefit. I think we are getting off topic here a bit.

End of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much if you change the gears down and break with engine or stay in 3rd and clutch earlier before stopping so you don't stall. What does make a difference in stopping smoothly is gradually increasing braking and then as you are about to stop let go of the break and allow the car to stop by natural friction rather than the actual brakes. Will take some practice but also I am not sure of the "driving test legality" of this if someone could clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's woeful driving to be coming to a stop in 4th gear. You do not have full control of the car in such a scenario - by full control I mean by being in 4th at a tiny speed you have rendered the accelerator pedal useless and therefore limited in what you can make the car do. You are rolling up to a traffic light in 4th and it goes green... what then?

Gears are for both, if you can brake using the engine and gears, what reason is there to use brakes? I'm not saying one would make some substantial savings on pads etc. merely its a positive side benefit. I think we are getting off topic here a bit.

End of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much if you change the gears down and break with engine or stay in 3rd and clutch earlier before stopping so you don't stall. What does make a difference in stopping smoothly is gradually increasing braking and then as you are about to stop let go of the break and allow the car to stop by natural friction rather than the actual brakes. Will take some practice but also I am not sure of the "driving test legality" of this if someone could clarify.

All your advice would be against driving practice and I would think it would incur faults in a test. You are marked on braking, and not using the brakes to stop would incur faults. Your statement about using the engine to brake instead of the brakes is baffling. Use the brake pedal, let drivers behind you know that you are slowing by showing your brake lights.

mickdw wrote: »
    It's woeful driving to be coming to a stop in 4th gear. You do not have full control of the car in such a scenario - by full control I mean by being in 4th at a tiny speed you have rendered the accelerator pedal useless and therefore limited in what you can make the car do. You are rolling up to a traffic light in 4th and it goes green... what then?

Rolling up to a traffic light is different to rolling up to a stop sign. There absolutely is still reason to come down through the gears, approaching a yield sign, or as you say approaching a traffic signal that may turn green. But coming to a complete stop in 4th gear is perfectly acceptable in a test scenario, and I would go further and say that it is preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my opinion, coming to a stop in 4th gear is never right. It encourages lazy driving and puts the driver in a situation of reduced control.
    You need to be in the right gear at all times. If you don't have Engine Power available, certain emergency moves are not available to you. Granted this type of stuff is not going to effect someone every day of the week but on top of that, stopping in fourth will surely create an increased amount of coasting before coming to a stop.

mickdw wrote: »
    In my opinion, coming to a stop in 4th gear is never right. It encourages lazy driving and puts the driver in a situation of reduced control.
    You need to be in the right gear at all times. If you don't have Engine Power available, certain emergency moves are not available to you. Granted this type of stuff is not going to effect someone every day of the week but on top of that, stopping in fourth will surely create an increased amount of coasting before coming to a stop.

I can see where you're coming from. But for the test either method is acceptable when coming to a complete stop. The reasoning behind stopping in 4th at a stop sign would be to just keep it simple. Engine braking is no longer required as the cars brakes are more than capable (even under prolonged braking).

As for coasting, clutching in before a stop and before the engine struggles or shows any sign of stalling is perfectly fine. Try it, you'd be surprised how slowing you are going in most cars when you do clutch in. In mind it's maybe a couple of seconds before stopping. There is no 'coasting' heading on the marking sheet, simply clutch control. Generally coasting is a problem for people who clutch in when turning corners, or rest their foot on the clutch during normal driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭BarraOG

So in answer to your question OP. It sounds to me that you are braking too soon, you should be able to stop in one smooth motion. There should be no need to accelerate before the stop sign as you describe. My process would be:

1. Cruising in 4th at 50km/h. Stop sign ahead.
    2. Remove foot from accelerator and begin to gently brake.
    3. Slow to in and around 10km/h or so, or listen/feel for the engine and clutch in before any sign of it stalling/struggling.
    4. Stop.

It's very hard to give you distances to use, or specifics about when exactly to clutch. But you shouldn't need them. This is the kind of question that will become obvious with more practice.

Was doing this before but my EDT instructor told me to stop always in 2nd or 3rd. I dont really feel im in a position to question him irrespective of what other edts teach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Its amazes me to read that there are still some people who believe that you should use the engine to slow the car. (And instructors who teach it)

I am old enough to have driven cars when it really was necessary to use the engine to slow and stop the car, and have experienced at first hand why this was necessary

Cars, way back then were heavy in comparison to cars today. No fancy lightweight alloy metals just honest sheet steel and proper wood for interior, no cheap flimsy plastic. And everything was welded and/or bolted together. This extra weight meant extra power would be needed to slow/stop the car. But unfortunately this definitely was not the case. The brakes back then were very poor with several major faults.

They were "drum" brakes which were far less efficient that todays discs.

They got hot very quickly as being enclosed they did not dissipate the heat, they easily got hot and stayed hot. When hot they were useless and simply failed to exert any stopping power whatsoever. Technical called "brake fade". So good drivers "saved" the brakes whenever possible. When stopping they went down through the gears. Saved the brakes for emergency stops.

And other faults with drums.

Took much longer to dry them out if they got wet

Also modern brakes are self adjusting and almost maintenance free. Way back then sometimes you could hit the brakes and the brake pedal would hit the floor, so you would have to frantically "pump" them to build up the pressure.

Modern cars, when you know that you are going to stop, leave the car in whatever gear it is in, simply get off the gas, cover the brake then start braking when necessary, depress the clutch when you know the brakes are working, or depress well before the car would stall. It is very important that you do not stall as you could then lose power assist to the steering and the braking system.

Argument that you should till go down through the gears simply do not make any sense whatsoever.

Main one. That you can not accelerate as you are in too high a gear. But accelerate to where - you are approaching a stop sign or red light or perhaps a tail back of traffic. If you must drive through regardless of the consequences it is a simple matter of quickly shifting down to an appropriate gear and then accelerate blindly through the stop sign or red light or whatever.

Stopping in snow or poor conditions brakes work on all four wheels, whereas the engine will only work on two. (Unless you got four wheel drive)

Brakes are actually designed to stop the car. Engines designed to make it go.

BarraOG wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m having trouble stopping at stop signs in a smooth and consistent manner.

So let’s say I’m approaching in fourth and travelling at 50km/hr, I release the acc at the junction sign and check mirrors and then signal. I then position and start breaking. This part is fine. I then change to second, say 15m from the stop(but I’m not sure when I should be doing this exactly), and get my foot off the clutch. I then clutch again around 5 meters from the line. I’m not sure if I’m breaking all the time once changing gear to second to the actual stop, should I be?

The problem I have is that I sometimes stop too abruptly or in some cases I have to acc slightly after having changed to second as I feel i am lacking momentum to bring me to the stop line. Is it wrong to have to accelerate like this? Even if there is an incline?

What parameters should I be following in order to stop more smoothly? I’m driving a vw passat estate 2006.

Thanks for your help!
    Barry

Hi,

there is no need to go into 2nd. simply stay in whatever gear you happen to be in, check your mirrors, brake, depress clutch before the car would labour.

Aim to stop just short of your stopping target, say half/quarter car length back, ease off the brake completely at that point and the car should then roll to a smooth halt.

You should be decreasing the brake pressure as you slow, not braking harder, but easing off. To slow smoothly, progressively, you should brake regressively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

When driving a diesel car it’s much better to go down through the gears when braking gradually or you’ll make the engine labour. Of course, if you have to slow quickly in a diesel you can still stop in whichever gear you’re in but in a normal slowing to a stop scenario gearing down is almost essential. A diesel car, in most circumstances, is very different to a petrol one when slowing.

When driving a diesel car it’s much better to go down through the gears when braking gradually or you’ll make the engine labour. Of course, if you have to slow quickly in a diesel you can still stop in whichever gear you’re in but in a normal slowing to a stop scenario gearing down is almost essential. A diesel car, in most circumstances, is very different to a petrol one when slowing.
    Hi,
    But type of engine is immaterial. I used Golf diesels and I taught my pupils to brake, put in the clutch before the car would labour. If my pupils followed instructions and did not change down, they did not get marked in the test. Irrespective what gear they stopped in.

However in my last year as an instructor I had a petrol BWW, exactly same method, don't change down, brake then clutch.

When braking to a stop, the dominant controlling factor are the brakes. And brakes are designed to safely stop a car. (Provided of course tyres, shocks etc OK)

If stopping in a straight line, the driver has full control of the car. If fitted with ABS he can even throw in the odd swerve whilst still maintain full control, and all this with the clutch depressed.

Try it, an experienced driver should "Feel" if they have full control or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

J_R wrote: »
    However in my last year as an instructor I had a petrol BWW, exactly same method, don't change down, brake then clutch.

When braking to a stop, the dominant controlling factor are the brakes. And brakes are designed to safely stop a car. (Provided of course tyres, shocks etc OK)

If stopping in a straight line, the driver has full control of the car. If fitted with ABS he can even throw in the odd swerve whilst still maintain full control, and all this with the clutch depressed.

Try it, an experienced driver should "Feel" if they have full control or not.

If he is not in the correct gear, he only has control to stop, not to accelerate. Now the latter might not be needed in most situations.

If he is not in the correct gear, he only has control to stop, not to accelerate. Now the latter might not be needed in most situations.

Hi,

My post #22
    Argument that you should till go down through the gears simply do not make any sense whatsoever.

Main one. That you can not accelerate as you are in too high a gear. But accelerate to where - you are approaching a stop sign or red light or perhaps a tail back of traffic. If you must drive through regardless of the consequences it is a simple matter of quickly shifting down to an appropriate gear and then accelerate blindly through the stop sign or red light or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Amazing the number of people who spell breaks instead of brakes.

I realise this isn't a spelling forum btw :D

Give us a brake break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

BarraOG wrote:

Is it a requirement of the driving test that you change down through the gears when coming to a halt?? If so, it seems odd practice and something most would never do in normal, everyday driving. Stay in whatever gear you are already in when stopping.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Is it a requirement of the driving test that you change down through the gears when coming to a halt?? If so, it seems odd practice and something most would never do in normal, everyday driving. Stay in whatever gear you are already in when stopping.

I have always done this and thought this was the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

SCOOP 64 wrote:
    I have always done this and thought this was the norm.

Really? Thinking back to when I was a learner I don't ever recall being instructed to do so. That's why I posed the question as to whether or not it's compulsory in a test situation nowadays.

Really? Thinking back to when I was a learner I don't ever recall being instructed to do so. That's why I posed the question as to whether or not it's compulsory in a test situation nowadays.

If you theres a roundabout ahead and your in 5th gear would you just break until you got there, then change at roundabout to first on give way?
    my son had his first lesson on Thursday must get him to ask instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

Changing down through the gears gives you better control of the car should you need to accelerate again quickly, now you should not need to normally at a stop sign but normally doesn't always apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

All your advice would be against driving practice and I would think it would incur faults in a test.

I mean, there's the "correct" way and there's the practical way for everything in life.

I'd agree with you in a preparing for a test setting, but I think for real world driving it's very useful to know that you can slow a vehicle using the gears, contrary to what TheShow likes to believe.

It's pretty much essential to know for driving in snow and ice conditions, and it's your only hope of not crashing if your brakes ever actually fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

To me the whole thing boils down to being flexible and able to adapt your driving to differing situations.
    I’ve had pupils come to me who had very little, if any, understanding of how the gears worked and the benefit of using them properly simply because all they did the vast majority of the time was brake to a stop in the gear they were in.
    There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Hi,

Teaching stopping, without changing down is only one small aspect of driving. Teaching proper use of gears is another.

It is the most eco-friendly method by far of stopping. Simple matter if the car has a read-out of fuel consumption. Have the pupil switch it over to "Instant fuel consumption" (as against average), let them see that the moment they take their foot off the gas the consumption drops to zero. Have them change to 2nd, watch the readings shoot up.
    (Also what is not shown is in the BMW, the battery gets an extra charging boost from the excess energy)

Instructor can then explain the advantages of "saving" the clutch at the expense of the brake pads. Explain the cost difference between the two.

As an emergency stop is not included in the Irish driving test, I wonder just how many instructors actually teach it. Or for that matter proper braking techniques. ???

• Advertisement

Hi,

Institute of Advanced Motorists

Have a read. That is taken from Institute of Advanced Motorists booklet, called I think "How to pass your advanced driving test" . Printed perhaps twenty odd years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Hi,

Institute of Advanced Motorists

Have a read. That is taken from Institute of Advanced Motorists booklet, called I think "How to pass your advanced driving test" . Printed perhaps twenty odd years ago.

Ancient scripture 😂

turbostan wrote: »
    Ancient scripture ��

Yes, I purchased that book well over twenty years ago.

Amazing that some driving instructor training schools have not updated their training manuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Start in first, turn in second, stop in third and drive in forth. That was the standard when i was learning, and friends all were taught the same regardless of what driving instructor/school they used.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Start in first, turn in second, stop in third and drive in forth. That was the standard when i was learning, and friends all were taught the same regardless of what driving instructor/school they used.
    Must have been a long time ago. . Most cars now have five forward gears. The last few driving schools car I had had six forward gears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Must have been a long time ago. . Most cars now have five forward gears. The last few driving schools car I had had six forward gears.

The instructors cars were all five speed, but fifth gear never used as no time during lessons would you be going fast enough to use it.

Skatedude wrote: »
    The instructors cars were all five speed, but fifth gear never used as no time during lessons would you be going fast enough to use it.

Hi,

so, all those driving instructors were just preparing their pupils to pass a driving test. Not preparing them for a lifetime of safe proper driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it a requirement of the driving test that you change down through the gears when coming to a halt??

No it's not and driving schools don't teach that (maybe some stuck in their way instructors), as for the driving test the same applies

Advertisement