Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a hotel near to Giant's Causeway

Options
  • 14-06-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Planning on heading up to Northern Ireland in July. Can anyone suggest a hotel to stay in in the general area around the Giant's Causeway? Hoping to do the Titanic exhibition too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

I'd be wary of going to the north during the marching season so perhaps August would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Giant's Causeway is a bit of a let-down, a lot of hype about a few hexagonal stones. I'd pick a different place to use as a base. One hour max. (15 minutes if it's raining) at the GC and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

IMO best bet is to stay in Belfast City itself, then you can drive to the Giant's Causeway, the rope bridge, Game of Thrones stuff, Bushmills etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Antrim is grand in July, Belfast less so due to marching season but you can still avoid the worst provided you're not up there the weekend of the twelfth.

The north Antrim coast is very scenic. Staying in Portrush for a night would let you see it without driving an hour and a half up from Belfast and back again in the same day.

The Giant's Causeway is one of Ireland's 3 UNESCO sites and well curated by the National Trust.

The Royal Court Portrush is a good 3 star, if you don't mind being a little out of town, taxis are plentiful.

If you're interested in visiting the Bushmills distillery check the dates they're closed for during summer first, they take a long break. I think you can still do tours but they're comparatively limited in what you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

votecounts wrote: »
    I'd be wary of going to the north during the marching season so perhaps August would be better
    Don’t worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thats a bit of a narrow view. Any time bar the week of the marches (July 11th) is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

We went up in July, stopped off in Belfast, went to the Dark Hedges and finished it off at the Giants Causeway. Great day out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a pretty nice hotel near the giants causeway called the Fullerton Arms they also do very nice food.
    I can also recommend Mc Shane Glen cottages near ballintoy Harbour, very cosy and owners are very nice. Oh and the red door is very nice for food and right beside it.
    If you are going to dark hedges I would recommend going early.

I would also recommend a visit to the Glen's of antrim for the scenery but I am biased as from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would avoid a couple of parts of Belfast, around the 12th and marching season but it doesn't really effect many other places in Northern Ireland, I am from county antrim BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cathyni

Where did you end up staying ? there Is a Hotel called the Causeway bit dated but food is good Portrush would be ideal for a base Remember you pay to go into the Vistors centre at The Giants Causeway which you don't need to do to visit the stones is Free The National trust try and rip people off there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Ended up staying in the Inn on the Coast in Portrush. Was a lovely base. Loved the area.

We did go to the Giants Causeway. Really enjoyed it but we did pay to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cathyni

gypsylee wrote: »
    Ended up staying in the Inn on the Coast in Portrush. Was a lovely base. Loved the area.

We did go to the Giants Causeway. Really enjoyed it but we did pay to get in

The National Trust has been accused of misleading tourists, with a sign mistakenly convincing visitors they must pay to see the Giant’s Causeway.

The landmark, Northern Ireland’s most popular attraction, is free to visit, with more than one million people taking advantage of public access to the site each year.

Critics say “misleading” signs erected last year by the National Trust are now convincing tourists they have to pay to see it, with the local council vowing to “assert and protect” the public right of way.

However, although the Trust does operate a visitors’ centre at the site, members of the public can visit the coastline free of charge via public paths.

The stones are free to visit

Advertisement