Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPZ rent increase

Options
  • 14-06-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am considering a rent review with my current tenant but as her lease is up next June I am wondering would I be better off waiting until then to do rent review as last time rent was set was Nov 14? She move in in June 15 hence June 19 would be end of 4 years.
    Would it be considered a "New" tenancy at that point if I continued with her and hence divided by 12 rather than 24 as current properties in the area are € 1100 and i am only charging € 800

Also, if you give the tenant reduced rent ( let say the formula calculated to 880 but you agree 850 ) which figure is used as the base point for an increase the following year? If its the 850 why would any landlord want to agree a reduced rent with a tenant??

Thanks
    agrange

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

agrange wrote: »
    I am considering a rent review with my current tenant but as her lease is up next June I am wondering would I be better off waiting until then to do rent review as last time rent was set was Nov 14? She move in in June 15 hence June 19 would be end of 4 years.
    Would it be considered a "New" tenancy at that point if I continued with her and hence divided by 12 rather than 24 as current properties in the area are € 1100 and i am only charging € 800

Also, if you give the tenant reduced rent ( let say the formula calculated to 880 but you agree 850 ) which figure is used as the base point for an increase the following year? If its the 850 why would any landlord want to agree a reduced rent with a tenant??

Thanks
    agrange
    Have you considered terminating the tenancy under section 34 (b)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

agrange wrote: »

Thanks
    agrange

Question 1 - yes if you do not renew part IV lease and start a new tenancy with a new tenant you can use 12 months rather than 24 in the denominator. Possibly also if you renew, but i would be nervous about that and would avoid taking the risk, much clearer and cleaner from your perspective to get a new tenant.

As regards question 2 it would be the 850 you would base future increases off. If you give a tenant a discount future tenants will also get the benefit of it.

Advertisement