Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best reasonably priced Burr Grinder?

• 14-06-2018 11:29am

So, it seems that for coffee Burr Grinders are the best to buy. Prior to this I thought all grinders were blade grinders.... Anyway, what's the best Burr Grinder at a reasonable price? Is there any place in Ireland or online that might have a very good one on special offer?

Would a more expensive coffee have to be bought for the Burr Grinder?

This DeLonghi KG79 is €55 today in Power City. Would it be worth getting, or would it be best to keep looking?

Finally, over on Amazon here are the options. Any of those worth buying?

I'm willing to spend up to €150 if it's a much better product. Is a 165watt better than a 110watt; what does the wattage indicate in terms of a burr grinder?

Thanks/Grma.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What kind of coffee are you making? If you are making espresso then you will most likely have to invest in something more expensive as the cheaper burr grinders simply won't grind fine enough. But for most other types of coffee they should be fine. I have the De'Longhi KG79, it does the job for my moka pot, v60, cafetiere and aeropress.

What kind of coffee are you making? If you are making espresso then you will most likely have to invest in something more expensive as the cheaper burr grinders simply won't grind fine enough. But for most other types of coffee they should be fine. I have the De'Longhi KG79, it does the job for my moka pot, v60, cafetiere and aeropress.

OK. If I wanted to keep my options open so that I could make Espressos down the line, what burr grinder would facilitate that at a reasonable price?

Would it make more sense to buy a burr grinder as part of a coffee maker, or is there any merit to having this separate grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

I have the Delonghi KG79 and it definitely doesn't grind fine enough for espresso.

I actually modded mine as per link below and it will just about get you fine enough but I expect the motor to pack in as its just not up to the job. Also clumping and consistency are a problem. It's passable though until you can buy a decent grinder.

http://ping-pong-balls.blogspot.com/2012/03/so-youve-bought-delonghi-kg89-how-to.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

OK. If I wanted to keep my options open so that I could make Espressos down the line, what burr grinder would facilitate that at a reasonable price?
    Delonghi seems to be alright for the price or Krups Expert GVX231,
    forget about the espresso .

€200 only a starting point for the espresso grinder ( unless you’ll go for the used one ) .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have a look here..........might give you ideas,

http://www.madebyknock.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you want a very solid grinder than can grind for any type of coffee and wont break the bank then I can recommend the Graef CM700 https://www.amazon.de/Graef-CM800-Kaffeem%C3%BChle-CM-800/dp/B00CS2DAEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529281154&sr=8-1&keywords=graef+kaffeem%C3%BChle
    Ive had mine three years now and its still going strong. I use it for espresso and aeropress.

OK, thanks everybody. I went down to PowerCity and got that De'Longhi KG79 as a starter which had decent online reviews. I realised I'd have to buy an espresso machine to maximise use of the espresso grinders so that's not in the budget. Anyway, in this KG79 It says that the "coarse" grinding setting "is ideal for percolators, "medium" "is ideal for drip and moka" and "Fine" "is ideal for espresso machines". But I have one of those glass French Press coffee makers. What setting do I use for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

Anyway, in this KG79 It says that the "coarse" grinding setting "is ideal for percolators, "medium" "is ideal for drip and moka" and "Fine" "is ideal for espresso machines". But I have one of those glass French Press coffee makers. What setting do I use for it?
    Coarse grind for the French Press.

• Advertisement
Advertisement