Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First World Cup memory

• 14-06-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭

For the day that's in it what is first world cup memory you guys have ?
    I'll go first,
     Omam - Biyik  goal and celebration against then champions Argentina in the opening game of 1990 .,
    Probably the moment I fell in love with football as a 7 year old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Watching Brazil vs N. Ireland in 1986 - I remember Pat Jennings having a stormer even though they lost 3-0. Sat at home watching with my father who wasn't at all into football, and still isn't, but people tend to watch World Cups especially if there is an Irish team involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Constantly asking my dad in 1986 why Argentina had a lad called Brown playing for them, when he was obviously Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Ticker Tap ... Argentina 78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Oul lad roaring at us to pipe down during World Cup 94....he couldn't hear Johnny Giles saying his piece over us. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A pile of lads crowded into a neighbours sitting room for the 74 final, he was one of the few who had a colour TV at the time.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The shadow of the lights in the Hand of God game, and my dad and uncle going mad that the handball was given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Argentina winning the World Cup in Argentina v Netherlands

I only remember Archie Gemmill's goal from then cos it's never been off tv since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1978 and France having to wear a local junior team's kit cos of a colour clash.

http://www.fifamuseum.com/stories/blog/when-les-bleus-went-green-and-white-2609859/

Just read that again, and they were called Kimberley, remember that for the pub quiz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

'78 World Cup.

Bernard Lacombe scoring for France against Italy in the first game after 30 seconds. Italy went on to win the game 2 - 1

Also remember Arrie Hans scoring absurdly long free kicks for Holland, also against Italy I think.

One of the Van de Kerkoff twins having a cast on his arm and all sorts of drama as to whether he would play or not (think it was the final, or maybe the semi).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

NIMAN wrote: »
    1978 and France having to wear a local junior team's kit cos of a colour clash.

http://www.fifamuseum.com/stories/blog/when-les-bleus-went-green-and-white-2609859/

Just read that again, and they were called Kimberley, remember that for the pub quiz!

Yes that's right and their goalkeeper for that game was Dropsy! I remember the commentators having a field day with that!

• Advertisement

Holland scored some cracking goals in '78, didn't they.
    Ernie Brandts and Johnny Rep too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Getting my Mexico 86 football from the Petrol Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ticker Tap ... Argentina 78

Same as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I remember watching the 78 world cup, a good few of the matches as we would be out on the green replicating the games after.
    I can only really recall the Scotland V Holland game, Dalglish and that Gemmill goal and the Final.

Robbie Rensenbrink nearly winning the 78 final for Holland, hitting the post in the last seconds at 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ireland v Romania 1990.
    All gathered around the TV at home. I remember the weather was scorching, yet nobody was outside - I remember my Dad rushing home from work for it and him commenting that the roads and village was deserted. Farmers had abandoned machinery in fields! Then I vividly remember Dad smashing a foot-stool when O'Leary scored the pen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Archie Gammel's goal against Holland in 78.

Was only a young lad but remember it well.

Great stuff and in colour for everyone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The BBC opening from Mexico 86. Aztec imagery. Pique the mascot. I think he was a chilli or a jalapeno.

Lineker's hat trick against Poland in Mexico 86.

Then the Brazil v France penalty shootout. I think there was a major dispute over one of the penalties crossing the line after spinning (forward momentum was lost).

Argentina cruising to a 2-0 lead in the final. Germany fighting back with great spirit. Game on!! Then Burrachaga delivering the hammer blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

RAAAAYYY HOUGHTON....in Giants stadium. Pure emotion as a six year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I was two years old so all these people getting angry and shouty at a bunch of little people trapped in a box was quite frightening.

I then became mortally afraid of becoming on of those little people who get shouted at, it seemed like a horrible life. So I wouldn't let myself be filmed for years after words...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Oul lad giving Mark Hateley dog's abuse in the 0-0 draw with (Morocco or Tunisia?) in 86. No idea what it was about, must ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Argentina v Belgium. Opening game of 1982, Maradonas first WC match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

the ireland games in 1990 were my earliest memory.
    Watched them at home and I think one we got to watch in school.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ireland v Romania 1990, I remember watching the penelty shootout (i was 4)
    First Full Game I Remember was Ireland v Italy 1990 (the next game),We went to watch that in my nanny's house, because she had a bigger TV then us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Italy 90 and me da putting his foot threw the lino floor out in the kitchen during one the Ireland matchs!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

82 Brazil v Italy. Ever since I have always supported Brazil in world cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

France 98. Brazil vs France.

I was in awe of Ronaldo. Watched him in the Uefa Cup final vs Lazio a few weeks earlier. He was like a god to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

MD1990 wrote: »
    France 98. Brazil vs France.

I was in awe of Ronaldo. Watched him in the Uefa Cup final vs Lazio a few weeks earlier. He was like a god to me.

Used to be so excited to see Brazil play when was younger. Still have a thing for thr likes of Romario Ronaldo Roberto Carlos Rivaldo etc now.

Remember watching Ronaldo destroy teams week in week out on football Italia.

The world cup just isn't the same when Brazil under perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Sitting on my fathers lap watching the Penalty shootout against Romania in 1990. I had wandered in from the back garden where all the other kids were playing, into the sitting room where all the men were watching the match. Very very hazy memory due to myself only been 2 and half at the time.

1998 was prob the first world cup I had any real interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

1982 - France v Germany semi-final and that tackle. I was 10 on holidays in France and we were in some kind of beach bar cafe place that was about 50/50 French/Germans and all I remember is the Germans chanting "Allemagne" (i.e. chanting it in French on purpose). I remember my uncle saying that a lot of the French were challenging the Germans to meet them on the beach for a fight, gathering of bike chains and so on. Don't think it happened in the end but the mood was strained to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I remember other kids singing Jackie's Army in 1990 and was aware the world cup was on, but don't actually remember watching any of it. First game I remember watching was Ireland - Italy in 94.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Bergkamp's wonder goal at France '98 along with Owen's solo goal against Argentina and Beckham's sending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

1974 - in St. Vincent's hospital in Dublin, sneaked down to men's ward to watch Brazil 0-0 Scotland.
    When I got out I ended up watching the final on my own for some strange reason. The family went out for the afternoon and I managed to get left on my own with a neighbour wandering in from time to time to see if I was OK. He know nothing about soccer, didn't have a telly, and was just annoying me really (with his heart in the right place.) Cheered on "Holland" as liked the way they played. Very sad at outcome, which set me up with a realism about what kind of results to expect from "the beautiful game".

Not a fisrt WC memory, but one of my best and most memorable was 1982, when NI were in it.

I was at Mosney, and Butlins had a communal TV room, as you didn't have them in your chalets.

I remember the room being absolutely rammed with people, all cheering on NI when they were on, and the place going berserk when they scored. And most of these people were 'southerners'.

Don't think you'd see such passion for 'the north' again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Josimar against Northern Ireland in '86.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Relikk wrote: »
    Josimar against Northern Ireland in '86.

I remember the late great Bill O'Herlihy referring to him as Josie Mar the Tipperary man!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

A big memory for me was the World Cup 90 sticker book. Well it was more like a folder and you collected and traded players and tried to fill each team's sheets with all of the stickers. Never completed it but got close!

https://goo.gl/images/66XLff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

My first memory is not of a match but a t-shirt for the 1986 World Cup,it had pictures of Maradona,Zico,Platini and few more of the top players of the mid 80s

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bizarrely, my world cup memory isn't football related really. It was the England world cup song of 1982 which I remember being a catchy song that stuck in my head (and is again no!). I was only 5 so don't remember any of the football particularly though from that WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Watching Maradona back in 1986.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This lad on one of the first few matches and wondering wtf it was

1990_mascot.jpg

Football memory, its packie bonner's save vs romania. I probably watched the other matches but have no early memory of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Actually it would be this....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I know there were memories before then that just are not as clear but

Houghton scoring as Ireland beat Italy at a packed full of Irish Giants stadium. Even as a young child at the time it was probably the only time I fully believed Ireland could beat anyone and could actually be the best in the world and that that alone would somehow change everything.

It is also the game that I would point to for why my favorite player of all time is Paul McGrath and therefore the game which indirectly could be blamed for why I'm a Villa fan (McGrath, Houghton, Staunton, Townsend (c) all Villa players at the time).

Off to download and watch "The Van" now

I have football memories that pre-date Spain 82, but can clearly remember Armstrong's goal, Maradona's red card, Germany France and the Schumacher assault and penos, and - obviously -Tardelli charging out of our tv screens...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

My first memory is from Mexico 1986 and it was wonderful.

I remember watching the Spain v Brazil game with my dad and uncles. It was on on a Sunday and I remember them talking all day about Brazil in the build up to it and how special it was to watch 11 artists in that mythical yellow and blue kit. The sense of anticipation and excitement as they strode onto the pitch - men with exotic names like Zico, Casagrande, Edinho, Socrates and my all-time favourite Careca. This was in the days where the only football I got to watch as a 7 year old the odd English club game which was a lot less glamorous than it is now. These Brazilians were like fellas from outer space because you only got to see them once every four years. Watching their right back, Josimar, belt in two wonder goals just showed what geniuses these lads were - if their right back could do that, what could their other players do?

That World Cup was a thing of beauty. Besides Brazil, there was Negrete's goal, Rats beating Bats, Belanov's hat-trick in a superb game for my other favourites (Soviet Union) against Belgium. And of course, there was the genius that was Maradona. I remember collecting books and stickers that explained faraway places I'd never heard of and players I didn't know. The crackling commentary and the late night games. Trying to recreate the games on the green outside my parents' house during the day. Magical.

Brazil going out to France was my first taste of heartache in life. I remember crying my eyes out because I was sure they'd win. Careca scored a beauty but Zico missed a penalty and Brazil lost a shoot out. I can still feel that pain.

That World Cup had everything for me - it was wonderful. This year, my little boy is the same age as I was then and he's getting into it. I got him the Panini sticker album last week and 6 packs of stickers to set him off. I couldn't wait to get home to give them to him so I had to open one packet in the car. I genuinely got a rush of nervousness and excitement opening the packet. And I've got that little rush all week every time I've bought him a new pack. He's taking the sticker album with him everywhere - I really hope this World Cup is for him what Mexico 86 was for me and gives him a lifelong love of The Beautiful Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Kuwait v France 1982, France scored but Kuwait claimed they had heard a whistle in the crowd and stopped playing. A Sheikh marched on to the pitch and persuaded the Ref to disallow the goal.

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/fifa-world-cup-moments-kuwaits-prince-fahad-gets-frances-goal-chalked-off-in-the-1982-controversial-clash-4477265.html

I think I was off school sick and I can remember a neverending debate on the BBC Panel about whether the goal should have been allowed. The Sheikh on the pitch seemed crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

as a 10 year old,

in 1970, sneaking into Gus Kennedy's pub in New Ross to watch Brazil V Italy in COLOUR.

unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Euro 96 was my first 'tournament' memory as I was born early 90s but Brazil's 2-1 win over Scotland in the '98 opener was my first WC memory

Overshadowed as to why R9 who I loved at the time was being marked by this fella with monstrosity of hair like Colin Hendry did

000DF12900000258-3204621-image-a-3_1440071451431.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Wednesday afternoon, 10th June 1998.
    Primary 4 - saying afternoon prayer in class for 3pm (home time). We recite the Our Father.
    Teacher finishes with the following:

"...... and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.......... and please make Scotland beat Brazil!"

Went home that day, watched the match. We lost (damn you Tom Boyd), but that was my first World Cup memory lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was 4-5 for Italia 90 but remember the general excitement and being shoved out of the sitting room during the Ireland matches. Generally, it was the opening game of 94, that miss from Diana Ross, the Bolivia player getting sent off after a couple of minutes after being subbed on. Watched most of World Cup 94 bar the very late games

• Advertisement
Advertisement