Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First World Cup memory

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I was 4-5 for Italia 90 but remember the general excitement and being shoved out of the sitting room during the Ireland matches. Generally, it was the opening game of 94, that miss from Diana Ross, the Bolivia player getting sent off after a couple of minutes after being subbed on. Watched most of World Cup 94 bar the very late games

Ah Marco Etcheverry. I remember watching him in the Copa America in the early 90s. He was a tremendous player and I remember talking him up to all my friends before the tournament. Then he goes and gets sent off and Bolivia limp out of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

One that really stuck with 8 year old me was the horrific murder of Andres Escobar. I couldn't contemplate why something like that would happen. I was terrified of more Own Goals happening along the way.

Other memories include Maradona lookling very 'angry' after scoring against Greece. I remember the roof being on for Switzerland vs USA and the States having a cool lookiing stars inspired jersey. Oh and I thought the Swedish goalkeeper's name sounded like a type of pasta and that amused me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was alive during Italia 90 but it was too early for me to remember anything.

First proper memory is Ray Houghton scoring against Italy. Closely followed by John Aldridge swearing at your man on the sideline against Mexico; equally impressed by both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DeanAustin wrote: »
    My first memory is from Mexico 1986 and it was wonderful.

I remember watching the Spain v Brazil game with my dad and uncles. It was on on a Sunday and I remember them talking all day about Brazil in the build up to it and how special it was to watch 11 artists in that mythical yellow and blue kit. The sense of anticipation and excitement as they strode onto the pitch - men with exotic names like Zico, Casagrande, Edinho, Socrates and my all-time favourite Careca. This was in the days where the only football I got to watch as a 7 year old the odd English club game which was a lot less glamorous than it is now. These Brazilians were like fellas from outer space because you only got to see them once every four years. Watching their right back, Josimar, belt in two wonder goals just showed what geniuses these lads were - if their right back could do that, what could their other players do?

That World Cup was a thing of beauty. Besides Brazil, there was Negrete's goal, Rats beating Bats, Belanov's hat-trick in a superb game for my other favourites (Soviet Union) against Belgium. And of course, there was the genius that was Maradona. I remember collecting books and stickers that explained faraway places I'd never heard of and players I didn't know. The crackling commentary and the late night games. Trying to recreate the games on the green outside my parents' house during the day. Magical.

Brazil going out to France was my first taste of heartache in life. I remember crying my eyes out because I was sure they'd win. Careca scored a beauty but Zico missed a penalty and Brazil lost a shoot out. I can still feel that pain.

That World Cup had everything for me - it was wonderful. This year, my little boy is the same age as I was then and he's getting into it. I got him the Panini sticker album last week and 6 packs of stickers to set him off. I couldn't wait to get home to give them to him so I had to open one packet in the car. I genuinely got a rush of nervousness and excitement opening the packet. And I've got that little rush all week every time I've bought him a new pack. He's taking the sticker album with him everywhere - I really hope this World Cup is for him what Mexico 86 was for me and gives him a lifelong love of The Beautiful Game.
    This is what football's all about, Hope the young lad really enjoys it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ray houghtons goal against italy at a family bbq , it was a pure quality family moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

There sure are a good few of us auld lads on here.
    I remeber bits of the 78 world cup the cast and the row about it pre final, the goals from kempes ( all the other lads wanted to be him , i prefered for some reason luque who scored in the final.
    They had some great players and a few dam hard men -passarella in particular.
    The ticker tape will always be remembered.

I will rember the 1982 WC for the amazing Brazil team what is ofton forgotten their main striker caraca was injured just before the tournement .
    They were a joy to watch and IMHO by far the best team not to win the cup.
    Rossie was letal in the knockout stages but Italy struggled badly to get through the group stages and only went trough because they scored 1 more goal than camaroon if my memory serves me well.

I will always think of the late Jimmy Magee when commentating on West Germany - Horst Hrugesch- the man they call the monster.
    So many great memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

My first memory of the World Cup was collecting the Orbis “World Cup 90” which was amazing. It came out once a week and there were 20 issues. It included a sticker album a world cup history and a list of all the greatest players who ever played the game. The whole thing went into a binder which I still have in my parent’s house somewhere. I must have read that thing a hundred times and as a result I can still name all of the tournament hosts, winners, finalists and top scorers from memory. I still have a memory of trudging around different shops in my area like an 8 year old crack-addict trying to locate somewhere that had any stickers. On one particular expedition I recall the sheer joy when a shop that I’ve never been to before, not only had the stickers but that I ended up getting the Soviet Union flag in the packet which was one that I had become obsessed with for some reason. I also remember that they included Denmark in the list of competing countries despite the fact that they had not qualified. Looking at the Wikipedia page it looks like they were the only UEFA runner up not to qualify that year, which is probably what led to the confusion but still a monumental cock-up by someone.

I got my nephew the Panini album for this world cup and to be honest it was pathetic in comparison but of course I didn’t tell him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

My first memory of the World Cup was collecting the Orbis “World Cup 90” which was amazing. It came out once a week and there were 20 issues. It included a sticker album a world cup history and a list of all the greatest players who ever played the game. The whole thing went into a binder which I still have in my parent’s house somewhere. I must have read that thing a hundred times and as a result I can still name all of the tournament hosts, winners, finalists and top scorers from memory. I still have a memory of trudging around different shops in my area like an 8 year old crack-addict trying to locate somewhere that had any stickers. On one particular expedition I recall the sheer joy when a shop that I’ve never been to before, not only had the stickers but that I ended up getting the Soviet Union flag in the packet which was one that I had become obsessed with for some reason. I also remember that they included Denmark in the list of competing countries despite the fact that they had not qualified. Looking at the Wikipedia page it looks like they were the only UEFA runner up not to qualify that year, which is probably what led to the confusion but still a monumental cock-up by someone.

I got my nephew the Panini album for this world cup and to be honest it was pathetic in comparison but of course I didn’t tell him that.

That was the best sticker album of all time,collected all the parts and then cheated and convinced the father to send away for the stickers that I was missing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Found this last night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Seven years old.

Bunting as far as the eye can see.

Advertisement