Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What’s your take on wearing an England Jersey?

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

FanadMan wrote: »
    I was born there and wouldn't wear that rag if I was paid.
    Just out of curiosity have you a Price that can buy you ? Can you be bought......Queen’s Million sort of thing :D

I am not offering by the way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

FanadMan wrote: »
    I was born there and wouldn't wear that rag if I was paid.

That's interesting. How long did you live there for? I've lived in the RoI since I was six. I'm in my mid thirties now and whilst I've no love for the RoI football team, I certainly don't have any issue with them. The fans are cringe-worthy at times but that's the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's a bit weird but Ireland is a bit strange like that anyway. Most of the football supporting populace despise our own league and project themselves culturally into the British leagues anyway, even republicans.

Unless Ireland are playing them, I like England to do well but I was born there and moved here as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s all lovely but football still generally refers to Gaelic Football in Ireland. You might want it to mean Association Football and in some specifics like above it does but in general in Ireland football refers to Gaelic Football... just like in other countries football means something other than soccer.

Why so sensitive about this?

Nobody in Dublin calls it soccer though. Not that I've ever heard anyway. I know it's different "down country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see no particular problem with jackeens wearing England jerseys.
    If an Irish person would wear one I'd be surprised though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

topper75 wrote: »
    Very old rugby clubs around the world call themselves football clubs. Garryowen FC is another one.
    The oldest rugby clubs call themselves football clubs because they were established before the national union in their country.
    If the club was founded prior to the IRFU's formation in 1874/79 (amalgamtion of Northern and "Irish" unions) then they can use "FC" AFAIK. Not sure why Garryowen can/do it as they were founded in 1884

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

This thread still going on, maybe we don't wear England jerseys because we're not English, might that be the reason? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I've lived in england for a decade and I hope they get whomped out of it. Not for any nationalistic reasons, I just couldn't be listening to them if they won. They're insufferable when it comes to sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

FTA69 wrote: »
    I've lived in england for a decade and I hope they get whomped out of it. Not for any nationalistic reasons, I just couldn't be listening to them if they won. They're insufferable when it comes to sports.

Every country that isn't an underdog is. I get why as an English speaker living there you wouldn't want them to win but literally every big country is like that. We're kind of like that too. I never got the whole thing that if they won it 'we'd never hear the end of it' Most English people hardly know that BBC and Sky Sports are transmitted to the foreign country to the west of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Wearing a football jersey as a grown man is a no no unless you are in good physical condition and playing football at that very moment.

Definite nerd or geek right here. Wearing a football jersey can be alright as long as you don't wear it with trackies and some other horrible clobber. It can look stylish if the jersey is good and the person is in good shape. All the rich kids in America wear the US soccer jersey come world cup time and it looks good.

Green isn't a good colour so looks **** but other jerseys look good.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Every country that isn't an underdog is. I get why as an English speaker living there you wouldn't want them to win but literally every big country is like that. We're kind of like that too. I never got the whole thing that if they won it 'we'd never hear the end of it' Most English people hardly know that BBC and Sky Sports are transmitted to the foreign country to the west of them.

Errah it's the same with boxing, British fighters getting hyped to the point of silliness and the press fawning over them - and they're forever trying to claim Irish sports people as their own too. For a good while now they've had a tolerable sense of abject defeatism but there's a bit of cockiness coming back now, hopefully a good penalty shoot out loss to a country that they were at war with will knock that out of them.

The Brits just can't do normal civic patriotism without turning into a load of chauvinistic chest beaters eventually.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    We're kind of like that too.

There’s no “kind of” about it. I’m surprised the clip of Ray Houghton scoring against Italy hasn’t worn out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Unless you're under 12, or on the actual team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Aegir wrote: »
    There’s no “kind of” about it. I’m surprised the clip of Ray Houghton scoring against Italy hasn’t worn out by now.

It's only 30 years ago now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I wouldn't wear an English jersey at the best of times but to don one at a point in time when they are willing to throw us under a bus because of their dunderheaded Bexit seems particularly self-hating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They're insufferable when it comes to sports.

You are joking? Italy 90, Euro 88 (did you even win a game????), your victory over the Italy 'B' team in the Euros. This ....

https://www.towerrecords.ie/product/IRELANDVALLBLACKSSOLDIERFIELDCHICAGO2016/693992

We celebrate champions.
    and they're forever trying to claim Irish sports people as their own too.

Examples, please? If you are talking about the likes Katie Taylor, she is reported about in the UK because her promoter is British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Berserker wrote: »
    You are joking? Italy 90, Euro 88 (did you even win a game????), your victory over the Italy 'B' team in the Euros. This ....

https://www.towerrecords.ie/product/IRELANDVALLBLACKSSOLDIERFIELDCHICAGO2016/693992

We celebrate champions.

Examples, please? If you are talking about the likes Katie Taylor, she is reported about in the UK because her promoter is British.

Yep, we beat England :pac:

The oldest rugby clubs call themselves football clubs because they were established before the national union in their country.
    If the club was founded prior to the IRFU's formation in 1874/79 (amalgamtion of Northern and "Irish" unions) then they can use "FC" AFAIK. Not sure why Garryowen can/do it as they were founded in 1884

This is untrue and is based on a false, very very modern, British TV-influenced premise: that soccer has a monopoly on the word "football". The real reason rugby clubs established in the 19th century like Wanderers and Garryowen are just "Football Club" is because there were many varieties of football, as much as this clearly incenses the Oirish "soccer is football" drones whose world view is shaped by British sports tv, which is eyewateringly tabloidesque in every respect.

It was only in 1863 that many of these "football" codes got together to agree on rules for a new football, which they called Association [Soccer] Football to distinguish it from the other forms of football. It was an amalgamation of various games essentially, with the Cambridge Rules and Sheffield Rules being two of the major existing rule codes incorporated into the game they were creating in 1863. Indeed, in 1863 one of the big fights - the biggest? - was whether they would continue hand passing - which is heresy now to all the GAA haters. Largely because the new game decided to drop running with the ball, many people who played by the Cambridge Rules, which themselves had only been formulated in 1848 but were based on a much older sport, decided to not accept the 1863 sport. They continued playing a game where ball handling had a larger presence and in 1871 they were party to the establishment of the Rugby Football Union.

There's quite a good history of the development of Association Football on Wikipedia. I wish the GAA-hating Oirish "soccer is football" brigade could educate themselves by reading it.

History of Association Football

• Advertisement

We celebrate champions.

Absolutely. The Irish journeys through international competition were stirring tales of a plucky team sticking it to the greats and overcoming the odds all while having a great time. Inspirational stories.

England are a former empire who nobody likes and their fans are mostly a shower of p*ssed yobs whose MO is to start singing “ten German bombers” and then get done in by the Russians.

Also for Katie Taylor, it’s just an example of throughout the majority of British history that they were a shower of thieving c*nts who can’t help claiming stuff as their own. Lomachenko’s promoter is a yank but we still all know he’s Ukrainian. Anyway, the bigger teams look crap this year so England may well go far and we’ll be bombarded with rubbish from the tabloids for weeks on end.

It’s a sad proposition, I might head off somewhere else til they get knocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Menelaun wrote: »
    Bought the new England Jersey today in Dublin,some of my mates are horrified I bought one.

Is this a common reaction still considering the majority of fans support English teams?

I wouldn't wear anything related to the UK or England in particular in any part of the Republic of Ireland cos this could cause some unpleasant reaction. That might be a bit different in some parts of NI, but one should know the area before one walks in it.

Besides, I expect that the English Team won't make it to the end. But personally I couldn't care less about this World Cup anyway. If some English Hooligans think that they can behave the way they usually do in Russia too, I would anticipate that they'll get a beating by the Russian Police which they'll never forget and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This is untrue and is based on a false, very very modern, British TV-influenced premise: that soccer has a monopoly on the word "football". The real reason rugby clubs established in the 19th century like Wanderers and Garryowen are just "Football Club" is because there were many varieties of football, as much as this clearly incenses the Oirish "soccer is football" drones whose world view is shaped by British sports tv, which is eyewateringly tabloidesque in every respect.

It was only in 1863 that many of these "football" codes got together to agree on rules for a new football, which they called Association [Soccer] Football to distinguish it from the other forms of football. It was an amalgamation of various games essentially, with the Cambridge Rules and Sheffield Rules being two of the major existing rule codes incorporated into the game they were creating in 1863. Indeed, in 1863 one of the big fights - the biggest? - was whether they would continue hand passing - which is heresy now to all the GAA haters. Largely because the new game decided to drop running with the ball, many people who played by the Cambridge Rules, which themselves had only been formulated in 1848 but were based on a much older sport, decided to not accept the 1863 sport. They continued playing a game where ball handling had a larger presence and in 1871 they were party to the establishment of the Rugby Football Union.

There's quite a good history of the development of Association Football on Wikipedia. I wish the GAA-hating Oirish "soccer is football" brigade could educate themselves by reading it.

History of Association Football

It's an interesting read, thanks. Sports television presentation is tabloid in nature pretty much world wide, the Australians and Americans a couple of glaring examples and put even Sky to shame (and they are a good/bad example of what you say about British tabloid style)

I do think people should just call a sport what they want to though. More than fine that you call it soccer, it doesn't affect me, so what's the harm, in the same way people who choose to call it football has no negative effect on you.

You can dislike/despise/detest England's soccer team or football team. Everyone would get the message.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Absolutely. The Irish journeys through international competition were stirring tales of a plucky team sticking it to the greats and overcoming the odds all while having a great time. Inspirational stories.

England are a former empire who nobody likes and their fans are mostly a shower of p*ssed yobs whose MO is to start singing “ten German bombers” and then get done in by the Russians.

Also for Katie Taylor, it’s just an example of throughout the majority of British history that they were a shower of thieving c*nts who can’t help claiming stuff as their own. Lomachenko’s promoter is a yank but we still all know he’s Ukrainian. Anyway, the bigger teams look crap this year so England may well go far and we’ll be bombarded with rubbish from the tabloids for weeks on end.

It’s a sad proposition, I might head off somewhere else til they get knocked out.

Wow, I always knew you were a bit of a rabid republican, but I never had you down asa bigot

I’d say London will miss you sorely.

Aegir wrote: »
    Wow, I always knew you were a bit of a rabid republican, but I never had you down asa bigot

I’d say London will miss you sorely.

How dare you! I haven't said anything remotely bigoted. Neither was I being 100% serious.

Also London will have to lump me for another few years yet I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We celebrate champions.

I wouldn't have thought you were old enough to remember '66?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Meh im indifferent to it and it wouldnt bother me although would never wear one myself. Once upon a time I would have frowned upon it. Have cousins in London and Manchester who have integrated as English. Some of my very good friends are English. You gotta move on eventually and not hold the hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wouldn't have thought you were old enough to remember '66?
    :D
    I honestly dont think England can consider themselves a big team on the international side of things, how many england players would other countries be desperate to recruit realistically?
    I think people from other countries do take issue with the "little england" attitude from some football fans.....gawd bless the queen....remember the war....damn busters...etc...its really horrendously embarrassing.

Realistically how well will they do in this world cup?
    I would say depending on the draw probably the quarters.

The premier league is very successful but that is mostly to do with money, importing coaches and players.

gmisk wrote: »
    :D
    I honestly dont think England can consider themselves a big team on the international side of things, how many england players would other countries be desperate to recruit realistically?

The premier league is very successful but that is mostly to do with money, importing coaches and players.
    Realistically how well will they do in this world cup?
    I would say depending on the draw probably the quarters.

It's hard to call at this stage to be honest, we'll have to see if the bigger teams can buck up their ideas. England have loads of talent but we have to see if they start playing as a team. No reason at all they couldn't get to the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not for any nationalistic reasons,

To be fair, that's exactly what every Irish nationalist says before trying to convince you that England are the only country in the world that get stupidly patriotic about sports. Which is untrue. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We celebrate champions.

She also has a very clear connection with England.

Her father Pete is from Birmingham.

We've 'claimed' plenty of English nationals with Irish parents/granparents over the years for our football side so I don't really having a problem with them taking an interest in Katie.

The sport is not really a big deal anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You are joking? Italy 90, Euro 88 (did you even win a game????)
    Oh dear. You might not be taken serious in this thread any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

We celebrate champions.

England haven't been doing that in a while.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

On a vaguely related note, heroic effort by the Tunisians.

Advertisement