Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey Hooded Crows Killing Other Birds

Options
  • 14-06-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

A few years ago two large Grey Hooded Crows turned up on the farm.
    Now there's four of them. There'll probably be 6 next year.

They're nasty birds. They swoop at people, but generally know to stay away from me. They were scaring off other birds, but now that I'm home more they keep their distance and there's lots more songbirds around. Rooks have started coming back too.

Some normal black crows (rooks?) built a nest in a stable. I know you can't mess with nesting birds and since they weren't causing much of a problem I tried to stay out of that building and let them alone. Plus the grown rooks/crows were fighting and winning against the Hooded crows :)

The hatchlings/young rooks are coming out now.
    I found one young bird in the stable and left the door open so he could get out. Within an hour the Hooded Crows turned up and ripped its head from its body!
    Now another has come out through a gap in the wall and I found the hooded crows pecking the life out of him, four on one. Nasty animals.

If they're killing other nesting birds, what options are there?
    Can a gun club shoot them? Larsen traps (what to do with them after though)?

Edit: I'm in Cork. Happy to pay to legally get rid of the hooded crows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Jamescleo wrote: »
    Hi,

If they're killing other nesting birds, what options are there?
    Can a gun club shoot them? Larsen traps (what to do with them after though)?

Edit: I'm in Cork. Happy to pay to legally get rid of the hooded crows.

Grey crows can be trapped and shot all year round if causing damage. The local GC should help you sort the problem or posters here who live nearby

Advertisement