Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm System

Options
  • 14-06-2018 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

A friend is buying a house , I note that it has the Astec alarm , which seems dead , fitted. the control panel is in the bathroom , which is very assessable.

I did a course on this system myself when it was a popular 2 wire system.

I do know they are not used that much anymore.

So, is it advisable to fault find the issue probably only a fuse , the kitchen window is missing the sensor tho cables are there , and use it.

Or is it advisable to just replace the panel and update with a HKC or more modern panel. What would they be looking at price wise.
    Only just the dialler (dont think there is one fitted)to get an alert when activated is all that is required , just the usual full set / part set for night time.

any advice appreciated

paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Really down to their budget to be honest.
    Have 1000s of those systems out there still performing well.
    Sensors can be replaced with global ones.
    Contacts & PiRs can be converted using 680ohm resistors.
    Your problems arise if you get faults with the panel, keypads or bells.

If you are upgrading the panel the GSD i1070 allows you keep your existing window/door sensors & contacts & also allows mixing with standard zones as you change out devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Brilliant thks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

A friend is buying a house , I note that it has the Astec alarm , which seems dead , fitted. the control panel is in the bathroom , which is very assessable.

I did a course on this system myself when it was a popular 2 wire system.

I do know they are not used that much anymore.

So, is it advisable to fault find the issue probably only a fuse , the kitchen window is missing the sensor tho cables are there , and use it.

Or is it advisable to just replace the panel and update with a HKC or more modern panel. What would they be looking at price wise.
    Only just the dialler (dont think there is one fitted)to get an alert when activated is all that is required , just the usual full set / part set for night time.

any advice appreciated

paddy

Only way of knowing is to power the system up and test whats on the system.
    You can replace sensors on that system so that would be the first thing Id be looking at if he didnt have issues with other components.

Advertisement