Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to gardening - killing weeds with spoiling new lawn

Options
  • 14-06-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

hey, just looking for some recommendations...
    I started laying a new lawn recently and the grass had been growing fairly well.... one problem is the weeds are too...
    Is there a product that can get rid of weeds but not kill my grass?... of is it a case of down on the hands and knees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Plenty of selective weed killers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

_Brian wrote: »
    Plenty of selective weed killers out there.

Just be a bit careful with new grass. They often recommend not using it on grass that is under 6 months. If the lawn is not fully there yet I think I would wait longer, and perhaps aim to tackle them after the summer. As frustrating as that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't panic, most of those weeds will be annual weeds which will disappear with mowing and the first winter. Thistles, docks and buttercups you would be better carefully pulling up by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It's common for weed seeds to germinate along with grass seeds. When you start your cutting regime it will deal with the weeds as the grass takes over. Do NOT use weed killers at this stage. Be patient and, once you start cutting, do it regularly, taking only a small amount off the top each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I am in the same boat as you - new lawn and many weeds. I'll chop their heads off regularly soon enough and let the grass hopefully take over.
    Some parts look pretty terrible for now, but at least they are green :)
    i'll keep the weed killers for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If the weeds are there now is the best time to get a good and longlasting kill. Put out a bit of fertiliser to boost growth and spray the lawn with a selective weed killer at recommended rates. The grass will get checked a bit but will recover esp if fert is applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep people panic when they see a weed on new lawns. Be patient. Your lawn will actually be glad of not being battered about in it;s early life. Esp as it's been very dry and the outlook once this spell is over again looks settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

From the https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=369 website,

New lawns

New lawns: are often severely damaged by weedkillers if applied to lawns within six months of sowing or turf-laying. However, products containing fluroxypyr (Scotts Weedol Lawn Weedkiller) as one of their ingredients are claimed to be safe to use if applied after two months of sowing or laying turf. The new turf must be growing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks for the advice guys... maybe its best left for now to allow the grass grow for a few months more... i was just worried as the weeds seem to be thriving at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

jobless wrote: »
    thanks for the advice guys... maybe its best left for now to allow the grass grow for a few months more... i was just worried as the weeds seem to be thriving at the moment

the more you cut it the better it will be. our lawn once laid was covered in chickweed... i was disgusted! but after a few months it was lush green with grass. patience. keep it cut. i cut mine (mulching) every 4 days in summer.
    heard a local garden centre owner on the radio saying he has a robot mower which cuts every day and his lawn has never been greener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thekooman wrote: »
    the more you cut it the better it will be. our lawn once laid was covered in chickweed... i was disgusted! but after a few months it was lush green with grass. patience. keep it cut. i cut mine (mulching) every 4 days in summer.
    heard a local garden centre owner on the radio saying he has a robot mower which cuts every day and his lawn has never been greener.

robot mower sounds cool haha.. im going to give it its first cut this week, i probably over panic'd as its growing patchy in places with the weeds over taking some of the non grassy patches...
    I had spent so much time on my knees weeding before laying the lawn that i was pissed off when i saw them make a big comeback!

Advertisement