Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV warranty after 2.5 years

Options
  • 14-06-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello

My father bought a Sony TV 2 and a half years ago from Powercity. The TV has developed a fault over the last couple of weeks.

Today he took the TV to an authorised Sony repair agent and they told him that a repair would cost him in the region of €700. This is almost 3/4 the cost of what he initially paid for the TV.

Can anyone advise on what rights rights if any does my dad have. His receipt says 1 year warranty, but surely a TV costing in excess of €1k should be expected to last a lot longer than 2.5 years

Does he go back to Powercity and if so what approach should he take

Thanks

LJ3103

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Forget the warranty - that is something offered by the manufacturer and is additional to your Consumer rights.

Assuming that there has been no excessive wear or tear on the TV, and that is down to a genuine issue with the TV then your Dad can invoke his consumer rights with Powercity.

He should return to Powercity, with proof of purchase, and ask them to look into it. They should offer a replacement, refund or repair.

Note, if they offer a refund or replacement, then they are entitled to take into account the fact that your Dad has had 2.5 years use of the TV, e.g. if we assume a 5 year lifespan, then he's had half, which means he would get 50% of the cost back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Powercity can be good, depends who you get. But if they tell him to go to manufacturer, he says no, im dealing with you, the retailer under sale of goods and supplies act. IE don't let them fob you off.

Your asking for one for the 3 R's as dudara said. See what they offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

My Sony TV came with a 5 year manufacturers warranty when I bought it last year so maybe check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Sorry for only replying to you all now

I emailed head office on last Friday to plead my case under the Sales of goods act and my Consumer rights

They can back saying that they would contact Sony to see if they would offer a good will repair. I didn't get into it with then about being a matter of good will or not versus what my statutory rights are.

Up until yesterday and I hadn't heard anything back from them until I emailed them looking for a follow up. They replied saying the would chase it again with Sony

How long should I let this go on and what step do you think I should make next ?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sony isn't legally responsible here, the retailer is. Sony's delay isnt your problem and the retailer should be providing their own solutions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

L1011 is right, the interaction with Sony is nothing to do with you. And to add to what L1011 said, I would prepare a letter, addressed to HQ, giving them XX working days to resolve the matter, as per the SoG&SoS act or else you will initiate a Small Claims Court. Send the letter via registered mail. If it doesn't get fixed, start the SCC process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As said, absolutely nothing to do with Sony. Your contract is with the retailer, that's who you'll be taking to the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

garhjw wrote: »
    My Sony TV came with a 5 year manufacturers warranty when I bought it last year so maybe check that.

Mine did too, Power City offered 5 year warranty for all Sony TV's they sold the last few years, possibly check in to that.

Advertisement