Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking fine

Options
  • 14-06-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

:mad:

Hi all, newbie to Newbridge here!

I moved into a house that doesn't come with parking, that's quite close to a pay and display carpark. I applied for a residential parking permit to use the carpark for free. I sent off all the relevant documents, except for the car tax disc (as you all know it's an offence to not have it on display) I sent my car tax receipts instead. Lo and behold, they rejected it and sent it back, specifying they needed a copy of the tax disc.

So I submit the application again, removing the disc so I can make the much-desired for copy. I then return to my car a few minutes later and they have gone and fined me sixty quid for non displayment of tax. I mean, come on! How can they insist on me sending them a copy and then fine me for taking it out to make the copy? I didn't want to remove it in the first place but it was Kildare Co. Council who specified I had to send them a copy of it!

Any suggestions? 60 euro is a lot of money for me right now and I really think it's unfair that they put me in this situation from their own rules.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

simply write to the and explain and send a copy of the disc - they'll wipe it.

Next time, simply take a photo of the disc with your phone and print out the photo.

At the end of the day, it is to be absolutely sure that only those that are entitled for a residents permit get one and that ensures plenty of spaces for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

CeilingFly wrote: »
    simply write to the and explain and send a copy of the disc - they'll wipe it.

Next time, simply take a photo of the disc with your phone and print out the photo.

At the end of the day, it is to be absolutely sure that only those that are entitled for a residents permit get one and that ensures plenty of spaces for you.

Thanks for the advice CeilingFly, it's appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, have you been through this issue before? They are pretty militant with checking literally all of the parked cars in the carpark so they don't strike me as being flexible or understanding as to why my disk wasn't displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Afroshack wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice CeilingFly, it's appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, have you been through this issue before? They are pretty militant with checking literally all of the parked cars in the carpark so they don't strike me as being flexible or understanding as to why my disk wasn't displayed.

you can get a free replacement copy of a tax disk - there's a form you can download. I think a garda has to sign it. You'd then have two. One for the car and one for the parking people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

My parents were visiting Newbridge from Kerry last year. Met up with friends for food and got back to the car 30 minutes after the time had expired on the ticket. There was a fine waiting for them. They emailed the council and explained what had happened, they had paid, lost track of time etc and they got rid of the fine.

Be nice about it, explain your story and they should be able to cancel the fine

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

dobman88 wrote: »
    My parents were visiting Newbridge from Kerry last year. Met up with friends for food and got back to the car 30 minutes after the time had expired on the ticket. There was a fine waiting for them. They emailed the council and explained what had happened, they had paid, lost track of time etc and they got rid of the fine.

Be nice about it, explain your story and they should be able to cancel the fine

Wow, that is lenient!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wow, that is lenient!

Yes, some times firing off a friendly email works wonders.

Best of luck.

The checking is done by alpoa on contract.

As you have a valid tax disc and valid excuse there is no reason for them not to cancel it and no court would ever convict such situation.

I got a disputed parking ticket in Naas cancelled once I showed the error.

cbreeze wrote: »
    you can get a free replacement copy of a tax disk - there's a form you can download. I think a garda has to sign it. You'd then have two. One for the car and one for the parking people

There's a fee of €6 + you are making a legal declaration of loss.

A quick photo on your phone is quicker, easier and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Take out your phone snap a picture if said Disc, email it to yourself and print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

cbreeze wrote: »

It's not free. A replacement costs €6.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/FAQs/Motor%20Tax%20FAQs/#faq29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Bit late to this post only seen it this evening.
    Just thought I'd post this anyway..

Went through a similar issue myself recently
    (in Athy)
    Literally a day or two after purchasing a car
    (Ins, NCT fine and parking ticket valid) but still got done for none display of valid tax.
    Tax was paid just hadn't received disc yet (delays around time of snow etc.)

One thing is make sure you dispute it ASAP as they say the fine needs to be paid within 28 days and it takes KCC 30 days to reply to any initial disputes.
    Plus they don't have a phone service you have to email everything.

KCC acknowledged our dispute over 30 days after the initial dispute, they then requested a copy of the log book and a copy of the receipt for the tax (including arrears if applicable).

Overall it took about two and half months for completion and waive of fine.

In the end they sent a snotty letter saying we will waive the fee this one time as a "good will gesture"
    Nothing to do with the fact they didn't have a case as everything was paid, covered etc.

Pablod wrote: »
    In the end they sent a snotty letter saying we will waive the fee this one time as a "good will gesture"
    Nothing to do with the fact they didn't have a case as everything was paid, covered etc.

They did have a case. The offence was "non display of a valid tax disc"

Hence, it has to be a "goodwill gesture" otherwise they can be accused of applying different rules for different people - and see where that got the gardai! 😁

So if it went to court and you got the wrong judge on a bad day and had an attitude, you could be convicted (though highly unlikely) as you did commit the specific offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

CeilingFly wrote: »
    They did have a case. The offence was "non display of a valid tax disc"

Hence, it has to be a "goodwill gesture" otherwise they can be accused of applying different rules for different people - and see where that got the gardai! 😁

So if it went to court and you got the wrong judge on a bad day and had an attitude, you could be convicted (though highly unlikely) as you did commit the specific offence.

Fair enough I see your point, as you mention highly unlikely it would go to court as the offence was "non-display of valid tax", not that the vehicle was not taxed and given all relevant paperwork/proof was provided.

Plus (correct me if i'm wrong) if your stopped by Gardai, i'm guessing you wouldn't be fined you'd be given the opportunity to present proof at local station or they would have the facility to check if the vehicle is taxed?

Just thought their response was a bit abrupt, and in a way means if it was to happen again that it would not be possible to dispute again..

Cheers

Pablod wrote: »
    Fair enough I see your point, as you mention highly unlikely it would go to court as the offence was "non-display of valid tax", not that the vehicle was not taxed and given all relevant paperwork/proof was provided.

Plus (correct me if i'm wrong) if your stopped by Gardai, i'm guessing you wouldn't be fined you'd be given the opportunity to present proof at local station or they would have the facility to check if the vehicle is taxed?

Just thought their response was a bit abrupt, and in a way means if it was to happen again that it would not be possible to dispute again..

Cheers

If you get the wrong garda on a wrong day and act the bollix, they can issue the ticket.

Thankfully that rarely happens as gardai are human, but technically they can issue the ticket and enforce it as the offence is "non-display". Obviously technology now allows them to check at the roadside.

Advertisement