Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black powder percussion caps wanted

Options
  • 14-06-2018 9:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know this is late to be asking, a group of us are going down to Enniscorthy at the weekend for a 1798 battle reenactment, and we've just discovered that one of the group will be using a percussion cap muzzle loader, but we're short on stock of percussion caps. Does anyone know a gunsmith or gun shop in the Dublin area (ideally) that would have them in stock, as our normal supplier is away from home, so we can't get any from him.

If I have to go further afield, I will, but ideally Dublin area.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Never seen or heard of them for sale in Ireland, as blackpowder shooting is a grey area in the republic. If you find any, i would be truly amazed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Indeed, we are operating within the system, but yes it's grey for re enactment with muzzle loaders, we're not firing projectiles, so at present, we're deemed to be OK on a superintendant's permit, but that may change going forward. The Lee enfield 303's are simple, the barrels are pinned, so only capable of blank firing.

If I find any, I will let you know. Hopefully, one of the other groups will have some spares on Sunday at Enniscorthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I'm looking for to the the event in Sunday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Look for a device made by Foster products called a Tap O Cap.It makes percussion caps out of strips of aluminium cans and toy cap gun caps. Works very well apparently.

https://www.beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/archive_open_sight.htm/9

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cosieman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Look for a device made by Foster products called a Tap O Cap.It makes percussion caps out of strips of aluminium cans and toy cap gun caps. Works very well apparently.

https://www.beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/archive_open_sight.htm/9

Pretty sure they stop making them some guy on some gun fourm still makes them kvn440@yahoo.com is his email
    he is known as kevin the cap maker. is his email not sure if he still makes them he makes the 11 cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There is a couple of the same design for sale on EBAY.Google is your friend for finding these.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Came across a site that does something very similar, and also can provide the relevant dry mix powders to produce the primer, which could indeed be the solution. Most of the group use flintlocks, so this is a new issue that's only just become a problem, we'll have it sorted for the next round of 1798 events, the rest of the year is 1916 period, so .303 Lee Enfields and the like, much easier to get supplies for.

Thanks guys, the self sufficiency route looks a good one.

Advertisement