Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy milk

• 14-06-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Was in Costa the other day and I noticed the guy made my cappucino with Alpro soy milk. I'd always assumed they used regular milk unless you requested a vegan alternative.

Anyway, I picked up a litre plain soy milk in Dunnes while shopping to try it out at home and wasn't too impressed with the results. It made a nice velvety smooth milk with a nicer texture than dairy but I thought it nullified the flavour, actually made it much more bitter.

Anyone know is it a special variety they use for coffee or whats the story

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

https://www.alpro.com/uk/for-professionals/products/drinks/soya-plain/for-professionals

Boardsie User Beasty might have some insight into what Costa use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think oat milk is the best in terms of complementing the taste of coffee and texture. I don't mind soy and almond milk but I just feel like it takes away from the taste and is also harder to texture properly.

I'm surprised someone made a soy coffee without you specifying, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

0lddog wrote: »
    https://www.alpro.com/uk/for-professionals/products/drinks/soya-plain/for-professionals

Boardsie User Beasty might have some insight into what Costa use

That's the very one they used. I picked up a carton of plain Alpro soy milk and it ruined the coffee flavour completely.
    J_E wrote: »
    I think oat milk is the best in terms of complementing the taste of coffee and texture. I don't mind soy and almond milk but I just feel like it takes away from the taste and is also harder to texture properly.

I'm surprised someone made a soy coffee without you specifying, though.

Yes me too. Ive never seen them use anything other than dairy milk but to be honest, had I not seen it, I wouldn't have noticed the difference. It was just like every other Costa cappucino Ive ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Oat or almond work best. Oat steams very well, almond not quite as good. Taste-wise, neither really floats my boat, would rather drink espresso or filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phillip876

If you are vegan and looking for other milk alternatives then you can try a number of options. For good taste you can try cashew milk, almond milk, coconut milk and walnut milk. You can see the whole list of milk alternatives here https://sportsinside.co.uk/blogs/post/13-best-milk-alternatives . Before using any milk alternatives make sure it has all the necessary nutrients which you can get from natural milk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement