Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty transferring data to memory stick.

Options
  • 14-06-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I hope somebody here can help me. I bought a new desktop computer recently. On my old one, I had an Ancestry Family Tree 2006 programme. Sometimes, I would have to transfer the data on my desktop to my laptop. I did this by transferring the data to a memory stick and from the memory stick on to my laptop. Now, with my new computer, when I reach the ‘Back Up’ stage on the transfer process, I get a message telling me to format the memory stick. When I format it and try to transfer the data again, I get the same message again, even though the ‘Properties’ option of the memory stick states that there are no files on it. I must say at this point that on my old computer, the memory stick had to be empty or else the data wouldn’t transfer. Whenever this happened, all I had to do was delete whatever was on the stick and I could do the transfer without any problem, but on the new computer, I just can’t do this.
    Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Transfer it from one pc to the other over your WiFi. You will need enable sharing and create a share folder.
    https://superuser.com/questions/440555/data-transfer-through-wifi-without-internet-b-w-pc-and-laptop

Or hook them up with a crossover Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Sounds like your stick is fecked. Advice from LH above - transfer over WiFi is your best bet other than buying a new stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Or you could plug your phone into your pc, copy the files onto phone, then plug into phone into laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It might be the format type you are using.

When you format a memory stick you have options of FAT32 or NTFS.
    FAT32 would be quite old but some legacy programs still require it.

If you can check what format your old pc used.

Advertisement