Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Are there less people being called in this campaign compared to 2016? There seem to be very small numbers in some counties. Like 26 for Wicklow. Half of those probably won't pass all the stages (I think someone quoted that figure before) so it seems surprisingly small.

I wonder is the union pushing for lots of civil servants to get transfers first out of Dublin to the regions and thus reducing demand. A lot of people I know who are in the civil service seem to get into Dublin first and then transfer out.

All we can hope is that they will quickly call other batches.

I do agree that they need to be more transparent about the stages. It was not clear to anyone that stage 1 would create an oom. The last eo campaign the oom wasn't created until stage 2a was done.

People coming in the top 10 on oom must be nearly getting every single question right on stage 1. Are people doing prep courses or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Grovekid

Anyone from kerry get called for interview lately? If so what batch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

I understand test is online. Do candidates have to log into regular publicjobs site for this or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

leex wrote: »
    I understand test is online. Do candidates have to log into regular publicjobs site for this or how does it work?

It's very straightforward, just input your candidate ID (which will be on a piece of paper given to you at check in) and your D.O.B. onto the log in page which will be already up on the computer assigned to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Joe222 wrote: »
    Are there less people being called in this campaign compared to 2016? There seem to be very small numbers in some counties. Like 26 for Wicklow. Half of those probably won't pass all the stages (I think someone quoted that figure before) so it seems surprisingly small.

I wonder is the union pushing for lots of civil servants to get transfers first out of Dublin to the regions and thus reducing demand. A lot of people I know who are in the civil service seem to get into Dublin first and then transfer out.

All we can hope is that they will quickly call other batches.

I do agree that they need to be more transparent about the stages. It was not clear to anyone that stage 1 would create an oom. The last eo campaign the oom wasn't created until stage 2a was done.

People coming in the top 10 on oom must be nearly getting every single question right on stage 1. Are people doing prep courses or what?

It just varies county by county, Westmeath for instance called into the 130s I think for stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi guys

I got called for the tipperary one but it is Waterford I want to get. If I go to this will I be called separately again for Waterford which is my first preference?

Aside from passport photos and I D what do I need to bring with me tomorrow?

I am in two minds about going to be honest as I have to leave the house at 7am to get the first train and then hang around for an hour in Dublin before going in and then back down on the train to mind a 12 month old baby for the rest of the night.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Hi guys

I got called for the tipperary one but it is Waterford I want to get. If I go to this will I be called separately again for Waterford which is my first preference?

Aside from passport photos and I D what do I need to bring with me tomorrow?

I am in two minds about going to be honest as I have to leave the house at 7am to get the first train and then hang around for an hour in Dublin before going in and then back down on the train to mind a 12 month old baby for the rest of the night.

Thanks

You only do each stage once and it counts for both areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clintewub

Has anyone considered the fact that the Dept of Social Protection has outsourced quite a lot of their work to Seetac/Turas nua, therefore there is going to be very few opportunities if any in this department countrywide. There is obviously going to be a surplus of staff that would normally do the work that this private company are now doing. Point being is that in this particular department and possibly many others there is going to be very little placements. Surplus staff will have to find something to keep themselves occupied and no chance for any newcomers. Maybe someone can add to this with insider information as I don't have any, however I think this is possibly one of the reasons for slow progress through the stages at present plus going back to the 2016 panels. Just my 10 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy_mom

Caoimhe2 wrote: »
    has anyone being called for Cavan yet?

Top 50 were called to Stage 2 this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sfox87

Clintewub wrote: »
    Has anyone considered the fact that the Dept of Social Protection has outsourced quite a lot of their work to Seetac/Turas nua, therefore there is going to be very few opportunities if any in this department countrywide. There is obviously going to be a surplus of staff that would normally do the work that this private company are now doing. Point being is that in this particular department and possibly many others there is going to be very little placements. Surplus staff will have to find something to keep themselves occupied and no chance for any newcomers. Maybe someone can add to this with insider information as I don't have any, however I think this is possibly one of the reasons for slow progress through the stages at present plus going back to the 2016 panels. Just my 10 cents worth.

You do know that not all the jobs will be in the dept. of Social Protection. You could end up anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sinny65

How are people finding stage 2 ? I was up yesterday , found the numerical tricky , verbal & error checking were grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lisah77

sinny65 wrote: »
    How are people finding stage 2 ? I was up yesterday , found the numerical tricky , verbal & error checking were grand

Was the error checking the same format on their public jobs practice page or was it different?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sinny65

Lisah77 wrote: »
    Was the error checking the same format on their public jobs practice page or was it different?

It was exactly same format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Clintewub wrote: »

Some would argue that Turas Nua / Seetac are doing the work of the old Fás staff who were under staffed and under resourced in the area of employment support services, and that they're engagement has no real impact on the work of DEASP.

However in general, there is no doubt that with an increase in outsourcing and the privatisation of public sector services, there are going to be less public sector jobs. In addition, I don't think there is any ambition to fully staff the public sector. Politically its better to be under staffed that over staffed.

In saying that negativity isn't going to get us anywhere so stay positive :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Molly2016

sinny65 wrote: »

I found the numerical hard aswell the other two were okay but maths section don’t know if I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

Does anybody know what tests are being used this year? Are they Saville tests? I know last year was cut -e and they were really hard to do. I'm doing my test next week and I want to practice as much as I can. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi, I just came back from Dublin where I did the exam. We were given less time than I expected. We started at exactly midday and by 1:30 we were all done. I ran out of time with the second and third part. The numerical part was alot harder than I expected even with the help of a calculator (and I love numbers!). Ah well. They said we will find out how we did by email some time in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

In my opinion numerical was hard, verbal was easy and error checking is hard to tell. how far did they go up in the batches?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublingreen

Hi, i'm considering sending an application for this before the deadline closes next week.

Is it only your current/most recent employer you need to provide a reference from?

Also would being a fluent Irish speaker be of any advantage in any Dublin department?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Annied22

Hi, i'm considering sending an application for this before the deadline closes next week.

Is it only your current/most recent employer you need to provide a reference from?

Also would being a fluent Irish speaker be of any advantage in any Dublin department?

This thread is for the clerical officer country wide post for which applications have already closed.
    What job are you applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just out of PAS. Total brain fart at the maths. Thought it harder than before. Thought Verbal and Error checking were okay.
    Will be surprised if I get through to stage 3 after the maths.

Annied22 wrote: »
    This thread is for the clerical officer country wide post for which applications have already closed.
    What job are you applying for?

I presume your referring to the Executive Officer (Junior Management) Roles in Dublin.

Unless your currently working in the civil service, I think you will need two references but your best to go to that thread and ask:

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107692409

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Noseyaf

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Just out of PAS. Total brain fart at the maths. Thought it harder than before. Thought Verbal and Error checking were okay.
    Will be surprised if I get through to stage 3 after the maths.

I got so frazzled by the maths, was upset coming out. Given up with this competition now.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

Hey for everyone who has done stage 2 already, did they say when yee would know the results etc

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

lamb stew wrote: »
    Hey for everyone who has done stage 2 already, did they say when yee would know the results etc
    As far as I know they said results in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

September we were told.

Tell us was it verbal, numerical and Error checking. then how about the categorising of information one that was in the familiarisation material. did that come up too?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 owolf8

I got OOM of 126 for wicklow, starting to lose hope about getting called to stage 2.
    Any reports from other wicklow folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

shmeee wrote: »
    I know 2 people in Tipperary who are next to be placed from the 2016 panel and they WILL be placed in the coming weeks, a long time since their stage 1.

So they will be in no rush as you said selecting the new panel.

Hiya

Just wondering what batch number and place your friends are for the Tipperary region?? Thanks.

Tell us was it verbal, numerical and Error checking. then how about the categorising of information one that was in the familiarisation material. did that come up too?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Paddy2018 wrote: »
    During the stage 2 tests I found myself wondering why the female to male ratio of prospective Clerical Officers seems so high. I wonder is there, or should there be, a recruitment policy to try and being a little more gender equality to the numbers of COs across the civil service?

The ratio you saw represents the real-world ratio of the people interested in applying - nothing should be done to change that ratio in the hiring phase. That would be both discriminatory of the majority gender and favouring of the minority one.

Let's say job X is such that, generally speaking, 70% of applicants are one gender, and 30% are the other. Assume all the applicants are equally capable. Now let's say someone in power thinks this natural 70/30 split is wrong and should be fixed. In order to "fix" it, they make sure that the successful applicants are 50/50 by gender. By doing this, they have unfairly discriminated against 70% gender and unfairly favoured the 30% gender. Their attempt at Utopian fairness was not fair at all given the reality of those who applied.

Equality of opportunity is important. This means everyone should have the opportunity to apply. This does not mean that every arbitrary demographic (gender, age, race, etc.) will be equally interested in applying for every job on the market.

Equality of outcome means those hired should reflect the ratio of interested, capable candidates - not an idealised version of that ratio.

We could visit schools of the 30% gender and have a marketing campaign so that we nudge more of that gender to apply. This could work, but will it it last after the campaign ends or will it revert? Are we going to have a campaign for every job on the market that doesn't have a natural 50/50 interest? What's the plan if they respond too well and the numbers start skewing in the other direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

I have my stage 2 test tomorrow afternoon I finished number 51 for Kerry what are my chances of actually getting a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

I have my stage 2 test tomorrow afternoon I finished number 51 for Kerry what are my chances of actually getting a job?

I didn't think they called up as far as 51 in Kerry. It depends on how good you do in aptitude I guess.

Can some one please tell me, is there a categorising of information test. There is no mention of it in the familiarisation material, yet when you take the practice test it is there.Should i practice for the categorising of information. (time running out for that).Is error checkin the only one along with numerical and verbal

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

Can some one please tell me, is there a categorising of information test. There is no mention of it in the familiarisation material, yet when you take the practice test it is there.Should i practice for the categorising of information. (time running out for that).Is error checkin the only one along with numerical and verbal

There is no categorizing information in clerical officer test. Familiarisation material explains what's in test.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Molly2016

No it’s verbal, numerical and error checking

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

DOes anyone by any chance know where they are for Westmeath on the 2016 panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

Best of luck to those sitting aptitude test this week. Please keep posted on your experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liniloo

Has anyone from Co. Meath been called for Stage 2 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 makemineawine

Just been called for permanent position from 2017 panel. I have to report to Revenue in Knockmaun House in Mount Street. From what I've been told this is where I will be doing training. Anyone got any idea if this is where they do the PAYE trainng? Heard there is training in O'Connell Street too - are they both the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sarah2018

liniloo wrote: »
    Has anyone from Co. Meath been called for Stage 2 yet?

I heard they called the first 50ish what is your oom? Hopefully next batch soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sha_fla

Any updates for Westmeath or Offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Just been called for permanent position from 2017 panel. I have to report to Revenue in Knockmaun House in Mount Street. From what I've been told this is where I will be doing training. Anyone got any idea if this is where they do the PAYE trainng? Heard there is training in O'Connell Street too - are they both the same?

Knockmaun House is the Dublin training centre

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Annied22

owolf8 wrote: »
    I got OOM of 126 for wicklow, starting to lose hope about getting called to stage 2.
    Any reports from other wicklow folk?

I got 66 and haven’t been called yet

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Does anyone know how far along in the OOM they are for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Twigg21

Anyone get called from Louth??

Sarah2018 wrote: »
    I heard they called the first 50ish what is your oom? Hopefully next batch soon

Thanks, Sarah, I'm no. 113. I've passed the interview for the 2016 campaign, but not holding out much hope of being placed before the panel expires!

Thanks, Sarah, I'm no. 113. I've passed the interview for the 2016 campaign, but not holding out much hope of being placed before the panel expires!

When does the panel officially expire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sarah2018

Do u mind me asking what batch and number you were for 2016 panel? Im 137 now hoping to be called in next batch fingers crossed if I hear anything IL keep u updated 😊

• Advertisement

Sarah2018 wrote: »
    Do u mind me asking what batch and number you were for 2016 panel? Im 137 now hoping to be called in next batch fingers crossed if I hear anything IL keep u updated ��

After the supervised tests, I was in batch 2, no. 59. I rang PAS last week and was told they're up to 173 of 200 in batch 1 (I presume that means they've placed 173 so far?!). We can only hope!!!

Advertisement