Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Would anyone who has been for interview he able to answer, do they run fairly on schedule? Just looking a arranging childcare and train home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shelly63

Hi I have an interview this week am dreading it - any tips havent done an interview in years? also what to wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

@Samsgirl, most of the interviews themselves ran for 25-30 minutes. I'd imagine things should run pretty close to time.

From talking to people waiting to be interviewed I would agree with getting the train. I did too, but others got the bus or drove themselves and felt panicked for time. Train + Luas to the PAS building was the way to go!

@Shelly63, Prepare as best you can and try to relax. All men were wearing suits and the women were wearing business attire on the day I was there. So I would guess that would be the standard. Look well, Feel well, Play well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jo_5cav

is it possible to have a number of candidates with same position on panel for for area?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

Hi all, just had my interview today for Louth/Kildare, I’m top 5 in both if that is helpful to anyone figuring out numbers/timescale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

jo_5cav wrote: »
    is it possible to have a number of candidates with same position on panel for for area?

Some government department self-ran competitions do that but I don't think PAS do. Your number is your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Gra11

I think in the 2016 campaign two people had the same number. It may have been an error though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Yes. Some people will have the same position if they have the same score. If three people are number two, the placing would go like 1,2,2,2,5

It was like this for both 2016 CO and 2016 EO at least

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Yes. Some people will have the same position if they have the same score. If three people are number two, the placing would go like 1,2,2,2,5

It was like this for both 2016 CO and 2016 EO at least

Thanks, I'm number 71 for Longford, I wonder how many are in front of me

Huntline wrote: »

At least 70 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 MG_2013

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Would anyone who has been for interview he able to answer, do they run fairly on schedule? Just looking a arranging childcare and train home.

I did the interview last Tuesday afternoon and was interviewed 15 minutes before I was due to be interviewed, which unnerved me somewhat. I turned up at reception over half an hour before my interview, thinking there'd be more people around, it was quiet, and then handed in my documentation. There was a person waiting before me, but I was called before him.

Thanks for that wasn't sure how it worked.

Had interview last week , have your 4 competencies prepared well with an extra example. They will ask about them. It's fine though they were nice interviews.

There should be 70 ahead of you

There should be 70 ahead of you

Oh OK thanks, just wasn't sure about the double numbers. Maybe I'm really number 100 even. What can I do? I'm really anxious and worried now

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shelly63

Oh God - I dont even know where to start on competencies - had a lot goin on at w/e so not in the right mind set at all - have interview wed - im goosed - any tips greately appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roseycheeks

Hi anyone Know what number they are up to in Limerick for interviews thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nynaeve

Oh OK thanks, just wasn't sure about the double numbers. Maybe I'm really number 100 even. What can I do? I'm really anxious and worried now

If you're number 71, then you're 71st in line.

To continue the previous example, if there are three people at number 2, then the order of merit goes 1,2,2,2, *5* . That's still five people in the top 5 spots, it just so happens that three of them got the exact same score.

It's like when two horses dead heat for first spot in a race. Hope that helps the worry a bit!

Shelly63 wrote: »
    Oh God - I dont even know where to start on competencies - had a lot goin on at w/e so not in the right mind set at all - have interview wed - im goosed - any tips greately appreciated

Dont worry whatever you had on application they will ask about just tell them what you did.

Nynaeve wrote: »
    If you're number 71, then you're 71st in line.

To continue the previous example, if there are three people at number 2, then the order of merit goes 1,2,2,2, *5* . That's still five people in the top 5 spots, it just so happens that three of them got the exact same score.

It's like when two horses dead heat for first spot in a race. Hope that helps the worry a bit!

Cheers for that wasn't sure how it worked.

• Advertisement

Only out of interview. Not too sure if I messed it up or not. They were nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭SB1982

Only out of interview. Not too sure if I messed it up or not. They were nice though.

Anyone of us can only do our best :)
    I'm up this week too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭336699

I’m sure you did better than you think, everyone always does.

How long did the whole process take? I need to book the train for Friday...eek!

Cheers for that wasn't sure how it worked.

If there were 3 people at oom number 2 how do they decide which of the 3 people get the next available position when it comes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

SB1982 wrote: »
    If there were 3 people at oom number 2 how do they decide which of the 3 people get the next available position when it comes available?

It would not happen, everyone has a different oom number.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

If two people are tied on Interview score, their will be a competency pre selected before the interview to decide a tie breaker so say for instance it was "Problem solving" well then whoever scored the highest in that area of the interview would become OOM 1 and the other fella OOM 2.

Xenji wrote: »
    It would not happen, everyone has a different oom number.

Apparently not. People have said that there can be a couple of people with the same OOM. Youll see it in the comments above ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

You can have the same ranking as someone else before interview but you won't afterwards.

SB1982 wrote: »

Depending on the specific role thats available they may use your skills, qualifications and experience garnered from the interview as a determining factor. Either way, if you're tied for number 2 and pass the interview you're getting a job sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rikand wrote: »
    Depending on the specific role thats available they may use your skills, qualifications and experience garnered from the interview as a determining factor. Either way, if you're tied for number 2 and pass the interview you're getting a job sooner rather than later
    They don't look at skills for appointment.
    Its a numbers game.whose next and we're are they needed next.

stinkbomb wrote: »
    You can have the same ranking as someone else before interview but you won't afterwards.

Clerical Officer interview is pass /fail usually so you don't receive a new oom after. Or at least I didn't so it is possible that several people will still have the same ranking after interview too

Clerical Officer interview is pass /fail usually so you don't receive a new oom after. Or at least I didn't so it is possible that several people will still have the same ranking after interview too

What locations have you applied for? I didn't think they had placed anyone in this campaign yet, they are running a lot quicker than I'd thought.

They don't look at skills for appointment.
    Its a numbers game.whose next and we're are they needed next.

So in the event of a tied order of merit ?

They draw lots to determine who's selected next ?

What locations have you applied for? I didn't think they had placed anyone in this campaign yet, they are running a lot quicker than I'd thought.

Crunchymomma got a job in the 2016 campaign.

The first batch of candidates are still being interviewed for the 2018 campaign.

Rikand wrote: »
    So in the event of a tied order of merit ?

They draw lots to determine who's selected next ?

Alphabetically, by surname, I would presume.

Skills, experience etc can’t be considered with regards to a candidate’s OOM as that would not be objective.

Everyone was on an equal footing when they did the Stage 1 questionnaire and Stage 2 tests. Regardless of skills, experience and even educational background, we all answered the same questions. A person with a a degree, masters etc was treated the same as a person with just their Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement

336699 wrote: »
    I’m sure you did better than you think, everyone always does.

How long did the whole process take? I need to book the train for Friday...eek!

I was in at 11.50 and out by 12.30. It went so quick in there.

Alphabetically, by surname, I would presume.

Skills, experience etc can’t be considered with regards to a candidate’s OOM as that would not be objective.

Everyone was on an equal footing when they did the Stage 1 questionnaire and Stage 2 tests. Regardless of skills, experience and even educational background, we all answered the same questions. A person with a a degree, masters etc was treated the same as a person with just their Leaving Cert.

You're right. That is completely fair

I was placed off the last campaign. Just trying to help people understand the process

I was in at 11.50 and out by 12.30. It went so quick in there.

Perfect, thanks. If I’m in and out that quick I’ll have plenty of time to catch the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Am I the only one that found the interview brutal?

One guy was lovely but the woman was a right wagon, I felt about an inch tall coming out of there 😢

• Advertisement

laoisgem wrote: »

One guy was lovely but the woman was a right wagon, I felt about an inch tall coming out of there 😢

Not at all! Mine was the same but in reverse! I was almost crying on the bus home, after all that work to fail at the interview stage.

A friend pointed out that these people are trained just to interview people though. They won't give the same reactions that you would normally expect, smiling etc. etc. So maybe there's hope for us yet

One guy was lovely but the woman was a right wagon, I felt about an inch tall coming out of there ��

Ah don’t say that, I’m up on Friday.

Is it very intense? Did they just ask for examples of the competencies or were there standard interview questions too?

Is it very intense? Did they just ask for examples of the competencies or were there standard interview questions too?

It was really just the competencies, which I had prepared fairly well. My guy kept telling me to "get to the point, we have time constraints involved here" but then the girl said to me "I'm going to stop you there, you have completely answered my question thank you".

I guess I'm used to interviews where they are interviewing about 3 or 4 people, so you have time to chat and show your personality too. In there, all they wanted was my answer and to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I found it intense but I guess everyone’s different. They asked everything within the competencies and it felt like they were trying to throw u.

I taught I had prepared really well and knew the competencies and examples inside out but still felt like that wasn’t enough. I’m not trying to scare anyone but to say it was a walk in the park and just know ur 4 competencies is enough is disingenuous.

Prepare for absolutely everything!

Oh and the very best of luck to everyone 🀞

Nynaeve wrote: »
    It was really just the competencies, which I had prepared fairly well. My guy kept telling me to "get to the point, we have time constraints involved here" but then the girl said to me "I'm going to stop you there, you have completely answered my question thank you".

I guess I'm used to interviews where they are interviewing about 3 or 4 people, so you have time to chat and show your personality too. In there, all they wanted was my answer and to move on.

I’m surprised that he said that. At least you got reassurance from the girl that you had given her the right answer.

Maybe, they were playing good cop/bad cop to see how you deal under pressure!

I’m surprised that he said that. At least you got reassurance from the girl that you had given her the right answer.

Maybe, they were playing good cop/bad cop to see how you deal under pressure!

One can only hope! Good luck to you on friday

I found it intense but I guess everyone’s different. They asked everything within the competencies and it felt like they were trying to throw u.

I taught I had prepared really well and knew the competencies and examples inside out but still felt like that wasn’t enough. I’m not trying to scare anyone but to say it was a walk in the park and just know ur 4 competencies is enough is disingenuous.

Prepare for absolutely everything!

Oh and the very best of luck to everyone ��

I’m writing out as many examples as I can think of for the competencies right now! I’ll look at standard interview questions and my application form too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully, we will all pass with flying colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

I had my interview today. I thought my interview panel were lovely. I could have stayed chatting for ages more. Felt completely at ease with them. They smiled often to make you feel comfortable and showed a genuine interest in what I was saying. So try not to worry in run up to Friday.

Maybe they saw real potential in you from your application and wanted to push you to see your capabilities. Take the positives!

Anniesland wrote: »
    I had my interview today. I thought my interview panel were lovely. I could have stayed chatting for ages more. Felt completely at ease with them. They smiled often to make you feel comfortable and showed a genuine interest in what I was saying. So try not to worry in run up to Friday.

Thanks, I suppose different interviewers have different techniques. Just the luck of the draw who you get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement